1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 50wt or 42pw help needed

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mranderson, May 6, 2003.

1. mranderson

mranderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just found this forum and am after some advice. I am thinking of buying a Toshiba 50wt29, but cannot find any reviews of it anywhere. I have the chance to get one for under £1500 but I need to act quickly. Can anyone help me with advice? The other option for me would be a Toshiba 42PW23 which is technology wise the other end of the world to the 50.

I believe that one of the Home Cinema magazines reviewed the 50wt a few months ago - does any one have the review or at least the summary please ?

2. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the toshiba 42wt29 a few months back, the dealer took it back and I replaced it with a Philips 36pw9607.

The 42 Tosh is a pretty damn good picture, except there was a bloom on the right side of the screen which no amount of convergence by myself or the dealer could get rid of. I am led to believe that most (all ?) tosh rptv suffer this problem, do a search on here for toshiba rptv

Wayne

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Toshiba 42" 42PW23P RPTV set- it suffers from blue CRT blooming down the far left (about 1 cm width from the far left border) It is barely noticeable at my viewing distance (about 6 feet) however if the distance was increased to the normal UK living room size it wouldn't be noticeable.

There's also some pink tinge down the right, again only slightly noticeable (only spot it in b/w films)

These faults are minor, I'll still recommend the set- for £ per inch and overall PQ it's a great buy- even brightness across the screen, great detail.

I've spent time tweaking it though- adjusting the Red, Green & Blue focus pots, plus disabled SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) and performed service level convergence for all aspect modes & for PAL and NTSC formats.

If you don't perform these it'll look OK - but the service level convergence is the most important tweak.

The WT versions are 100hz- I don't like 100hz processing- but I've never seen the newer ones going as I opted for the 50hz model instead.

I upgraded from a 28" Panasonic widescreen TV to the Tosh. I thought it would be downgrade on picture quality & light output, since it's so cheap. It wasn't. It's very very good. :D

I've taken a snapshot, can email if you want (800K) PM me.

If your collection comprises of Region 2 PAL DVD's I WOULD NOT buy the 50hz model. My brother has a multi-region player and I've tried some of this PAL DVD's. They look awful; the 50hz flicker is very noticeable to mate, my brother and myself.

If however your collection is primarily NTSC (60hz) then the flicker is gone. Luckily I only have NTSC R1's.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I have a 50WT29B here....there is a very slight pinkish tinge to the borders of the screen,only visible on a white background e.g a snow scene,and certainly not intrusive.
    This does seem to be a common thing with a number of RPTV's,and a search on that subject here should give you all the feedback you need.

The picture quality,once adjusted away from the default settings of high contrast,brightness,edge sharpening etc is very good indeed,and certainly better than any of the cheaper plasmas in terms of colour balance and contrast.

As to the 100hz processing....on this set you won't notice any artifacts induced by it,unlike some of the earlier sets.
    Service level convergence is very useful in terms of quality,but a complex process which many people dont want to try,and may invalidate your warranty.

There was a review in Home Cinema Choice a couple of months ago,which rated it very highly indeed.