1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 50wh18b review

Discussion in 'TVs' started by matt janes, Nov 28, 2001.

1. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of any reviews for this RP set?

I'm awaiting delivery of mine and can't wait to see what it looks like. Have seen on demo a couple of times and it looks fab as long as the input signal is decent. Are there any owners out there who can give me an objective assessment or are there any mag reviews around? Interested in how it compares to wh4608b since i nearly bought this model.

Out of interest, how much have people paid for this set? I managed to get it for £1680 inc delivery. Bargain me thinks..

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.
    ta
    Matt

2. bcottis

bcottis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been unable to find any reveiws of this model, but according to Toshiba it was only officially available in this country from Monday 26/11/01, so that may be the reason. There are a few mentions in the threads here, and Gedclink seems suitably impressed with his model.
    Where did you find it for that price? The best I've seen is just over £1800 from a couple of web sites.

3. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered it through QED at www.qed-uk.com

You'll see that the 50" isn't listed but the 42" is (at under £1500). I rang up using the number on the website and was delighted to hear the price! Don't know why it isn't on the website.

By the way, that price includes a free SD110E dvd player and 3 discs (by redemption). I currently have a sd100e which doesn't have component output so looking forward to getting the improved quality! Are you thinking of buying this TV?
    Matt

4. bcottis

bcottis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been unable to find any reveiws of this model, but according to Toshiba it was only officially available in this country from Monday 26/11/01, so that may be the reason. There are a few mentions in the threads here, and Gedclink seems suitably impressed with his model.
    Where did you find it for that price? The best I've seen is just over £1800 from a couple of web sites.

5. bcottis

bcottis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do appear to be lucky as they do now list it at £1863.55. Let me know what you think of it after it arrives. I have purchased from QED before and goods arrived when promised and where fine.

I'm currently in debate with my partner over the need for a 50" model over a more 'sensible' 42".

6. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do indeed seem to be lucky. Still, we lost Robbie Fowler to Leeds today so I needed some luck!!

I've seen the 42" on demo down Oxford St and it looks fantastic. Is 42" sensible? I'm not sure that sense needs to come into it - although my divorce is coming through now.!!

remind your partner that Christmas is around the corner - a time for giving. I thought size wasn't important to women anyway????

7. bcottis

bcottis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to feel the loss of master Fowler, but I suspect the work permit for Milan Baros must be in the pipeline. back to the subject in hand.
    Whilst browsing in a comets my partner agreed the 42wh18 on display did indeed look suitable for our front room, I then pointed out the 'old' Toshiba 46" model and said I was considering this one. She just laughed.
    I then found out about the 50" model and am now trying to get 'agreement' on this model as it is virtually the same. Not sure if it will happen this side of xmas, but early new year is a definate.

8. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do I start..

Where do I start. ?

Looks...Really classy "brushed aluminium " look although it's just good old plastic.

They have copied the Sony design a bit for their new models and although roughly the same depth as the wh08b series they are not as square / boxy looking.. One gripe is the " apparent " base which houses the speakers is covered by a really naff plastic cover with acoustic speaker cloth. My 18 mth old decided it looked better pulled off ( in around 2 seconds )..It clips back on but is only held on by friction.

Connections...Usual connections for external speakers ( supplied but are the usual 7 x 3 x 4 inch )
    3 scarts ( 1 RGB enabled ) and digital audio in as well.
    Component input ( WOWEY with the free Tosh 110E DVD )
    S-VHS ( Unfortunately on the front of the model..Twas on the arse of the old CRT )

The set did look HUGE for the first week. I was surprised as my old CRT was a TOSH 4:3 33", but it now fits in perfectly.
    Picture quality out of the box, was in my opinion very good...I was doubtful, even after I purchased it, as ALL the displays in the usual Comet's, Dixon's and Curries were rather minging..Thank God for the great blokes on this forum who convinced me otherwise..

Once I'd tweaked with the Menu convergence it looked a tad better...BUT get into the designer mode, don't touch anything but the RGB grids and take your time sorting them out..IT IS WAY WORTH IT!!!
    Pictures from Telewest cable vary a lot. Channels can look great, yet others look odd..It's hard to describe, but on light areas you can sometimes notice strong pixellation from the digital signal i.e lot's of shimmery blocks.

As usual it has 3 picture modes & a memory setting. Mode 1 will burn out your eyes unless you are around 35 foot away and highlights every bit of crap in the signal..Blacks look really washed out. Mode 3 is a bit dark so I'd play with the Memory settings.
    Averaging around the forum post it appears that Contrast varies from 30'ish to low 40's, brightness around the same and colour up around 45 - 55..

I've found that these settings, will deepen blacks on screen,
    " hide " the elements in a poor signal and ( hopefully ) almost eradicate screen burn problems from channel logos.

Teletext is amazing..It stores pages in it's memory, so no more waiting for most pages to load..It's almost instantaneous.

VHS copied from a half decent source looks okay but this telly comes into it's own with a good DVD source..All I can tell you is connect up the components at the back and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy..

If anyone has any specific questions then please ask away as I too was helped massively by the good people on this forum..

9. Kirthen

Kirthen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto Gedclink's view. Our Tosh 50wh18b (with free 110E) was delivered in the last week of October and has been excellent in every way - even the sound quality is very good for a tele. The very best pictures (and sound) is naturally dependent on the quality of source, input (RGB/S) and cables, but the differences can be surprisingly significant. A DVD film via component is awesome.
    I looked at many other RPTVs including the wh46, but the screen was a little bit too reflective for my taste and it decreased the film like quality of picture. The 50wh18b I believe is significantly better. But the current crop of RPTVs are all very good, and in many cases it is down to personal preference, my wife liked the Sony 51DS and a work colleague swears that the Sony 44” is “rocking”. The main problem in determining YOUR perfect RPTV picture is that most shops have little idea how to setup, display or sell these beauties. Indeed, very few are connected to a decent DVD source (Currys DVD ripped from video – a joke), almost without exception Contrast set to 100% (never buy shop soiled), and the viewing distance limited by a row of 28” windscreens 4ft away. RPTVs ad WE deserve better. Soap Box over & out

Good Hunting.

:D

10. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just out of interest, do you guys watch any logo channels, and do you zoom the logo out if you do? The more I read on this forum about screenburn, the more I'm doubting an RPTV is a good idea... it doesn't sound very wife-proof for one thing, she's worried she will knacker it after hearing what I've said about screen burn. Heh :)

11. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the channels we watch on telewest are " logo'd"
    i.e sky 1 , sports, QVC etc etc

From what I've read, keep the contrast and brightness at reasonable levels, DON'T leave a paused or static VHS,DVD or games screen on the telly and don't leave it on a logod channel for circa 12 hrs +

I would hope that screen burn can almost be minimised by following the above modes..

I was paranoid before I ordered it and most screen burn issues I read about were due to a LOT of watching i.e MTV 20 hours a day, or someone falling asleep with the telly on SKY 1 all night!

Remember that screen burn occurs with continuous viewing of channels...I'd bet that you watch more than 3 - 5 channels on a regular basis, hence minimising a specific logo stuck on screen.

12. marlboroman

marlboroman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at that you spend all week trying to find a review on the 50wh18b, and then you go and find all this lot in one place. B. marvelos I say, even if I can't spell it..:blush:

I still have a couple of questions/concerns though so if you guys will bear with and help out if possible?

Once I have changed my room around to get the best viewing angle (straight on) I will only be sitting about ten-eleven feet away from the screen, is this gonna be enough or should I look at the tiny 40wh18b or the 46wh08b? Bear in mind it's taken me over a week to convince the wife to go for 50"

Is it worth getting the stand? as the offer www.hispek.com has on sounds good(free delivery, speaker stands, 5 year warrenty and stand) £2150 all in and I need something to keep my 3 month old away from my kit when she gets older.

Quick tip for folks who do have carpet commandos is use a dyed (to match existing colour of furniture) ratchet strap around the doors of the cabinet to keep sticky fingers out..

How long will a rptv last if you follow all the good house keeping rules about screen burn? I can't afford to replace the thoing every 2 years.

Thanx for bearing with me and I hope some one out there can help...

:)

13. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,100
    Matt ,

Are you for real !!!!

Do i understand this correctly, you,ve ordered that huge TV because you,ve seen it on dem. a couple of times, also you have never read one single review of it.

You must have money to burn man !!!

14. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marlboroman..

I also spent weeks trolling other sites looking for info on rear projections and was delighted when I stumbled onto this one.

The answers you are looking for:

My head is exactly 11.5 feet away from the screen..I was exactly the same as you and measured everything before " taking the chance" with the 50"..My good lady was not as confident and would have opted for the 42".P.S She LOVES the new telly...For the first couple of days you watch it by turning your head from left to right and back again..After that your brain / eyes sort themselves out and you begin to wonder if the 56" would have fitted!! So anything over 10 feet should be fine..

Good deals..I paid £ 1800 from Sound & Vision Bolton..+ then got my own 5 year accidental cover from Domestic & General for £ 171.
    The stands throw the telly another 7 - 9 inches up in the air and could put it slightly above your ideal viewing height?
    Regarding HISPEK. I was " PERSONALLY " put off for 3 reasons...

1)Do a keyword search and most of the posts regarding them were not favourable on aftersales service..

2)The " internet sales " chap was a Mr KIM..His replies were often vague when answering my e-mailed questions .i.e
    Question : Is it a UK model or grey ( imprted ) model..Answer..It comes with a 12 month guarantee

3) Their wording for the " extended warranty" was also a bit iffy...I enquired if a 2 year old rug rat sticking his favourite hoover through the screen was covered under the accidental damage as the wording in their online policy stated that damage from impact was not covered? Their Answer : Accidental damage is covered?

TV life: I'm looking for at least 5 years + from this baby. Just be careful with the controls and you shouldn't have any problems...

Go get one

15. Kirthen

Kirthen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I chose to sit approximately 13ft from the Tosh, we find this the optimum distance for us. Personally I would say 8ft is the minimum, not because the quality of the picture declines at this distance, but the Tosh’s impact one’s living space becomes rather oppressive. Incidentally, my children are comfortable to sit 10ft away at a 45 degree angle without complaint – the TV has a great horizontal viewing angle.

We were “offered” the stand, but declined it, since the Tosh is at perfect height for us already.

On the question of screen burn, most of the Sky channels we watch have logo’s, however, almost all either move or are transparent to a degree. The worst offender is the Cartoon Network, since it is my children’s No.1 channel - but the logo moves at regular intervals. My usual Contrast level is 44, Brightness 49.

Many of the Video Mag’s also state that TV’s, any TVs, are most exposed to screen burn during their first 100 hours of use as the phosphor “cures”. After that the phosphor should be more resistant to screen burn?

I may be just an optimist, but there are very few examples of screen burn recorded and usually there is a identifiable cause – Contrast/brightness set too high, Ex shop soiled (Contrast set to 100) or a stationary image left on too long (the $64000 question is how long is too long).

16. marlboroman

marlboroman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gedclink & Kirthen thanx consider it ordered, QED sound like a decent enough mail order place.

now I've just got to rip my floor up and extend my Sky cable to the other side of the room, still it sounds like it'll be worth the agro:eek:

J.

17. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh, thanks for the replies guys :)

Never thought about that, actually taking out your own insurance policy on it rather than getting the extended warranty. I wonder if screenburn could be classified as accidental damage anyway under that policy....? Falling asleep and leaving the tele on a logo channel for hours for example, well, it is accidental damage really.... less stupid than say spilling a cup of coffee down the back of it when it's turned on, heheh, and you'd expect to be covered for that.

18. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    About QED - on their web site the Tosh 42 is listed as the 42WHKIT110? Is this the WH18B? All very confusing :-/

19. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED have listed the 42WH18b as a 42WHKIT110 since it's a bundle with the free SD110E DVD player. Same goes for 50".

20. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahh, that explains it. I was thinking of getting a Tosh 210E with my 42WH18, but have read that the 110E is almost as good. Is that the consensus among those who have bought this Tosh package?

Read a review that said:

"Essentially it (the 110E) is the same as the SD210E - it's big brother, except for optical out, the ability to play CDV, MP3, CDR and CD-RW"

Is that the case - or is the big brother SD210 more adept on the picture front? I'm not bothered about playing MP3's and stuff....If there's not much in it picture-wise think I'll go for this QED package.... it seems a real bargain at £100 less than Sound&Vision, and they don't offer the free player.

21. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darkly...

Speak to George ( Scottish Bloke )..He did me a good deal and the Tosh DVD was also included ( as was a cracking set of component leads )

Good lucl

22. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Ged, I did :)

He matched the QED deal, fantastic stuff, and this way I get the DVD chipped as QED don't do that. Thumbs up for Sound&Vision (and Ged ;) )

I can't *wait* to get this TV next week!!

Woohoo!!

23. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem buddy..

Glad I could be of help.

Regards

Ged