1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 50wh18b problems

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by matt janes, Feb 6, 2002.

1. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 2 month old Tosh has packed up.

I've read about other owners having similar problems and wondered if anyone can shed any light on how the problem was solved.

No picture when switch on - looks like it's still on standby but doesn't respond to remote. I've tried everything but think it's an engineer job. I've read that it could be the IC Card - anyone know anything about this?

Bought it from QED and had been delighted with the set until now.

Any help much appreciated - I guess I'm into a battle with QED now - oh joy!

2. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn I'm sorry to hear that, I too have heard a number of people mention this problem. One of these people said he left the tv for a night, turned it on in the morning and it worked :D :confused: Definately sounds like an engineer job.

3. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Be prepared for 2 vists then, one to diagnose the problem and other to fit the card (I am sure reading previous posts that is the problem)

I have an RP (46), and would never let it be taken away for repair due to the fact they get damaged.

Would insist on a replacement if I was you or try and get Toshiba to send an engineer out who will fix it straight away.

Regards

4. micflair

micflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    arghhhhh, matt! I have the same problem!! just happened in the last few days as well!! but mine is with th 46"! I phoned up QED and told em, they told me they are sending an enginneer out.. god knows when tho! :( I find if ya turn it on and off at the mains and mess about with it eventually it will come on, but it dont fix the problem. I phoned toshiba and they just said phone QED! GRR! Keep intouch with me mate on how its going !!

Mick

5. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had an engineer sent out to look at my Toshiba TV. I phoned the company on the Thursday and got the engineer the following Monday. So don't let them tell you its gonna take a few weeks and crap like that, thats not acceptable.

6. micflair

micflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, phoned up yesterday and got an engineer 2day 2 look at my tv... he said basically no point in taking it away or opening at as he needed more info, so I told him what was going on.. he said he is going to phone toshiba to ask em what the fault is, and then get back to me.. ugh, this could take forever.

What are my legal rights in demanding a replacement?

Mick

7. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    micflair, did the engineer call you after you speaking to QED or did you call Toshiba directly? I called QED and they said an engineer will call me. Wondered if they actually will.

i'll keep you posted.
    matt

8. micflair

micflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Basically mate, I called Tosh, they told me to call QED. I did, they called an engineer...

The engineer then called me this morning to arrange a time, today was fine so he came today! To be honest, he was just like a guy workin from home or summat, did'nt look very pro.. as long as he fixes the tv I dont mind tho! Ill give it a week or 2 before I start demanding a replacement tho..

Yeah thats is - he said he was off tomoz as it was his wifes 50th bday.. so he would'nt look into it untill Monday.. what a cowboy! haha!

Mick

9. Geoff Landon

Geoff Landon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.
    It sounds like you have a problem that I had with my Tosh 50WH18B when mine died after about two months
    . The problem was with dry joints on the teletext board causing the set to shut down. This problem is known to Toshiba.
    Someone will have to remove the board and have it resoldered, mine was resoldered by someone
    from Toshiba due to it's intricacy. This was all done very quickly by an appointed service dealer in Derby. The good news
    is that when the board is removed the set will still work although you can't use teletext.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Geoff.

10. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the insight. That sounds a bit more encouraging - were you still getting the red standby light coming on even though you had no picture? Hoping to receive a call from the engineer today....

11. Geoff Landon

Geoff Landon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again. Good to hear you are getting an engineer out today. Yes the standby light would stay on even though nothing else worked.
    The set actually died whilst my son was watching a video and I mean I was still seeing a picture when it went. When I came to put the TV
    in standby afterwards the screen was black and nothing worked except the red stanby light. The dodgy board was removed on a Friday
    fixed over the weekend and ready on Monday. No complaints from me on the service I got.
    Good luck, Geoff.

12. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 56who8 went after the 1st week (but I broke it by plugin me dreamcast in the wrong way; sparks flew, a loud bang was heard, it was buggered). I phoned Toshiba, all i said was that I have payed all this money out for a set that breaks in the 1st week. They didn't argue, they just said that they would send a replacement in two weeks, picking up the broke one at the same time.

The 56who8 is a great set, especialy with SVM disabled. Everyone does disable this, right?

13. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read about disabling SVM on the net yes. But I wasn't sure if the Tosh RPTV sets have the same kind of wires which you can disconnect therefor disabling SVM. Or do you disable it in the design menu ? Please feel free to post back here as I'd like to disable SVM safely too. Any help would be great :D

14. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2Shy - You have email :D

15. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    SVM what?

16. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Scan Velocity Modulation. It's supposed to soften the image somewhat but the side-effect is you get ghosting and other slight interferences around an image. It's pretty much standard over in America to disable the SVM on their HDTV/RPTV sets. No more ghosting and a nice clean, sharp image.

17. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Nice one.................... how?