Toshiba 50WH18B from Sound&Vision

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hurricane, Jan 10, 2002.

1. hurricane

hurricane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the tosh 50WH18B from sound&vision (Bolton) after they matched the OED-UK deal. £1935.00. Which includes Tosh DVD 110, DVD chipped to multi region and component leads. They assure me they are using a new courier service , after some complaints on these message boards about the "connect" couriers they used before. Anyway I will keep you all informed about how things progress.
    My question is has anyone else ordered from Sound&Vision (Bolton) this RPTV and what are your experiences with the set and after sales service.

2. Gaz H

Gaz H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hurricane, I've used Sound and Vision a few times over the years, purchasing a DVD, VCR and my last TV, all on seperate occasions. I had no problems, everything was delivered at the right time and its all worked as I expected. The only reason I didn't use them to buy my latest TV is because I got a better deal from RGB. As for experiences with the RPTV, I have the 46WH08B delivered straight from Toshiba (ordered via RGB). I wanted it from Toshiba because I thought it was less likely to be damaged and they would set it up (it was called installation and setup!). The installation consisted of tuning it in and passing me the remote. Reading other commments on the Forum I think this is the standard you can expect from whoever you order it from. As it turns out it's exceeded my (high) expetations and I love it. I've had to set up the covergance once, which was painless.
    Hope it all goes well for you

Gary

3. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't comment on Sound & Vision but the set is superb.

I've had mine for about a month and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it. Be prepared for it looking huge in your house - looks quite a lot bigger than in store!

Picture quality is excellent but does depend upon input. DVD is magical (i'm connected on component inputs), digital TV very good, analogue acceptable. Sound is also excellent. Horizontal viewing angle is good. Vertically, you need to be at similar height as TV when viewing cos it darkens considerably as you stand up!

Be prepared to be delighted..Happy to answer any specific questions.

4. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about either the 42WH18B or the Sony 44PS2, i have decided to buy the toshiba as it has component inputs and i watch alot of dvds. I was wondering if you could tell me what you think the minimum size room for one of these is, and does anyone know if they are extremly fragile to physical movement? As i am moving house in 6 months.

5. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42" isn't too bad size wise - i would imagine you wouldn't want a room less than 10' square. It's the distance from the screen that's most important but 8' will be fine. The depth of the set helps it to fit into corners pretty well.

They're pretty easy to move - they have wheels which is a great help and the 42" is only about 55kg. It's also got two handles on each side for lifting.

6. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answer, thats good news. The reason i asked about the movement, wasnt so much the weight. It was just incase they were abnormally sensitive to movement. i.e would i risk doing damage to the set when i move house.

7. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just use common sense. I'd do it myself rather than get any removal chimps to move it for you. They feel very sturdy but who knows what could happen inside if it was dropped or bumped.
    Good luck!

8. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound & Vision were brilliant..Absolutely no probs with them on the customer service front but their " new " couriers were an absolute shambles.
    Read on!

Ordered via phone and was told to expect a call within a day or two from the courier company to arrange delivery.

4 days later...No Call.. I call Sound & Vision..30 minutes later, the courier company call my wife..Well done S&V!

They only deliver on one day in Scotland and they weren't sure if they could get my television on their van.. It would be a week on Thursday
    I was assured I would get a call on Wednesday evening by 6.30 to confirm an exact time and also the date.

Wednesday 8.00pm i find myself calling a mobile number ( well done my wife for getting the original callers number )..This belongs to the supervisor who is sitting in her house. I politely inform her of the query and after another 40 minutes some grumpy lady tells me my TV will be with me by 10.00 am the following day. I also get a number to call if I have any problems.

So I take a days's holiday and look forward to playing with the convergence etc etc. Yep..10.00 comes and go, as does every following hour.

At 2.30 I call the number. The phone is either engaged or rings out for 30+ minutes..I KID YOU NOT!! Numerous calls later I am becoming rather peed off.

At 5.30 I call Sound & Vision who pulled out all the stops and finally got through to the so called helpline of their couriers by leaving one of their office phones ringing for a LONG time.

They call back several times and eventually find out that my TV is on it's way..

9.30 PM the delivery transit arrives..Nice chaps..At least one of them was knowledgable about how to lift the Toshiba. It has 2 big handles at each side that could be reached through the cardboard outer box.. His friend suggested squeezing the box between his hands to get a grip..UNTIL I pointed out that he'd put his hand through the screen if he tried it..He also whipped out his trusty stanley knife to get the box off..No chance! I found a pair of scissors.. I asked them how they expected to be here for 10.00 am today and were nearly 12 hours late and was informed they don't normally leave the depot until 11 - 12 am...
    Go figure!!

9. hurricane

hurricane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV was delivered last Friday. On Saturday I notices that the rear thin wood panel at the back was bent and coming off from the nails, also the component panel was missing screws so it was loose.

I am not impressed, to say the least.

OK so now Sound & Vision (bolton) on trial. Rang to speak to George, who sold me the TV, instead another chap asked me what was wrong. Explained the problem, he said customer service will ring we back within 24 hours. He said they normally take the TV , let their engineers take a look at it , and only then send a replacement.

Is it just me who thinks this is bad customer service. I don't want to wait 24 hours for a call back. I want to speak to someone in charge NOW. I also want a replacement or my money back NOW, not have the TV collected and a engineer look at it first !!!!!!.

OK gang I will keep you all informed what happens.