Toshiba 50 inch L4353 and Sandstrom S42SWLH13

Wasted04

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi new user so be gentle

I have just purchased the above equipment and want to check that I have it connected for “best” sound available to me
The set up is currently

PS3 – Soundbar HDMI1
Sky+ Box – Sounbar HDMI2
Soundbar – HDMI out – TV HDMI1 (ARC compatible if I read the specs correctly)

I select either PS or Sky by using the soundbar remote HDMI1 or 2 as appropriate

Is this the best way to do it or should I be connecting PS3 and SKY to TV and then HDMI or optical from TV to soundbar?

Based on above setup or indeed any other suggestions a bit of advice on PS3 Audio settings would be appreciated as well – it works at moment and sounds OK but conscious I may not be fully utilising

Many Thanks
Doug

You current way of connecting the kit together is the best you can achieve.

If you did route everything through the TV and then out to your soundbar via ARC then the formats you'd be able to output would be restricted to those permitted by ARC and/or those the TV can handle. It is recommended that you always connect a source to the AV receiver or soundbar rather than passing the audio through a TV ;)

The PS3 will configure itself if using HDMI. Connect the PS£ to your soundbar via HDMI and the soundbar to your TV via HDMI. Ensure all three are powered up and then go into the PS3's audio settings. Choose to let the PS3 auto configure itself and select HDMI as the preferrred audio output. This will ensure that the PS3 only outputs formats your soundbar can handle ;)

I've no idea of the audio capabilities of the Sandstrom S42SWLH13? You should probably go into the PS3's video settings and set the BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) setting to LPCM as opposed to BITSTREAM. This would especially be the case if your PS3 is the older fat model.

Last edited:
thanks i'll do that and see how it goes - seems ok on the new splinter cell game but voices missing from cutscenes in Lego batman game

I've just been looking at the Sandstrom soundbar online, what's your opinion of it now you've been using it for a few months?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom