1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 50" 1920x1080 SED display

Discussion in 'OLED TVs' started by StooMonster, Sep 12, 2005.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
  2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Nice! :thumbsup:
    About time! Im sure Toshiba will plan the release of SED to coincide with HD DVD!

Any idea on price and actual release date?

50" upwards with 1080p! Just hope they give us good response time, no screen burining and good contrast and brightnes.
    Also hope they give us more than ONE hdcp conection!!

*Found this link which says march 2006.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050907PR210.html

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    It emerged a few days ago that SED would be launched in March next year. Toshiba suggested that the cost would be comparable with plasma, but someone reckoned that it would be around £10k, at least to begin with. That sounds too much, but SED does seem to tick every box in everyone’s wish list.

Large display;
    High resolution;
    thin wall-hanging panel;
    low power consumption;
    light weight;
    bright enough for daylight viewing;
    1 ms response time,
    more than one HDMI input.
    Oh – and 100,000:1 contrast!

Can hardly wait.

Nick

4. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  5. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Those specs are ridiculous, thats a dream TV and I'm talkin on a dream girl scale.

Posts like this will probably keep me from buying a new TV for years. I was planning on holding out until decent 32" 1080i/p LCDs were available at sub £1000, but I may wait for SED now. I can't see much point in buying a set that has less than 1080 res, seeing as this will soon become the industry standard for broadcasts.

My recent Z3 projector purchase taught me a few lessons on the AV purchase front, i.e. check the date of the last price cut, and bloody WAIT! It's not going to be outdated anytime soon, but no one likes to lose money.

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The blurb states that it is 'based on CRT technology'......doesn't that make it an analogue based screen, not good for the future in HDTV methinks :D
    Although I must admit to getting wood at the talk of OLED, but I won't be holding my breath for that one anytime soon :(

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    No.

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    A bit vague, but I agree with NicolasB's answer. Just because it CRT technology doesnt mean it has to be an analog device.

If you really think about it even a plasma or an LCD is analog in some way.
    The display we watch has to be analog other wise we wouldnt be able to see it. (our eyes are analog) Every TV converts a digital signal to an analog picture we can watch.

9. paolo999

paolo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - and also they may be mentioning this to infer CRT qualities (e.g. the contrast - always a weakness of current LCD and Plasma)

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    ...and the black levels.

SED sounds fantastic to me. Leveraging old technology (CRT) with new approach (pixel arrays) is genius. Can't wait to see what the picture looks like for myself.

StooMonster

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    There is one very important sense in which CRT is "analogue", and that's that it isn't a fixed pixel device. The intensity of the electron beam varies continuously as it sweeps across the phosphors, rather than being constant for the whole of any one particular pixel and then changing sharply at the pixel boundary.

This gives CRT two big advantages:

1) It can work at any resolution (up to the allowed maximum) and look good. Fixed pixel devices need to display a picture the same resolution as the screen, which usually requires scaling somewhere along the line.

2) Particularly in the horizontal direction, this gives you much the same effect as scaling up the image to a very high resolution. If the signal contains a black pixel next to white pixel, what appears on the screen will actually vary smoothly from black to white via a grey gradient rather than having a sharp black/white transition.

I suspect it is this that makes anamorphic DVDs look so good when played on a CRT projector - you get an effective boost to the horizontal resolution.

SED will not have either of these capabilities. And of course it will be subject to screen burn. But it should have CRT's excellent black level and response time.

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I thought SED wouldnt suffer from screen burning! If it does then I dont think ill be getting one. I plan to play next gen hi def games on what ever screen I use from now on so plasma and SED may have to go out the window for me.

Once these sets come out we will have more accurate information regarding good points and bad.

13. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    SED may not be too susceptible to screen burn. My line of thought is:

Normal CRTs use one scanning electron bean to sequencially draw all the pixels in the frame.
    Plasmas don't address pixels individually, but use combinations of parallel data and addressing lines to control pixels.
    Plasma pixels are illuminated one row at a time - the picture is still scanned - but line by line, not pixel by pixel.
    SED will presumably write the pixels in the same way as plasma.
    That means each individual pixel is illuminated much longer - for the time it would have taken to illuminate all 1920 pixels in a line.
    Therefore each pixel will not have to be driven so hard to generate the same average luminance.
    That reduced stress should translate into reduced phosphor burn. (I hope)

I don't know enough about phosphors to know if that is a valid argument, but it seemed credible to me. What do you think?

Nick

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    But aren't plasmas generally more susceptible to screen burn than CRTs?

15. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Has anyone following this thread actually seen an SED display in action? I know Toshiba was showing them at the IFA in Berlin, but the demonstrations were for invited guests only.

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What if you wait for SED and it is fraught with teething problems or is a complete turkey? What if it goes the way of plasma - two major Japanese companies abandoning the technology with doubtless more to follow?

Also, the cheapest SED launch price announced is £10,000. You're planning on holding out for SED, yet you've stated that you want a TV for under £1,000? By the time they come down to under a grand (years) doubtless some new technology will be announced (one to follow SED has been announced already) and then you can begin waiting for the launch of that and then a few more years till the prices stop being silly. Then of course something new will be announced...

If you're waiting for the "newest" innovation, you'll never buy. There will always be something new on the horizon.

I bought a DLP rear pro a few weeks ago with stunning PQ and I've had a grin a mile wide across my face ever since - and then there's the next level of enjoyment to be had from it when Hi-Def hits the streets / airwaves. This set will be giving me pleasure for years, while during those same years some people will be living with their old CRT set and playing "wait and see what's next". The announcement of SED's launch (which I've known about for over a year anyway) hasn't marred my enjoyment of my purchase one jot.

Look at what technology is available now at a suitable price, see what rings your bell, buy it and start enjoying it. :smashin:

17. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It's always hard to know when to buy. Personally I've decided I'm going to hold off on buying a "proper" screen until winter. This is partly because I'm hoping there will some semi-affordable 1080p screens available by then (either plasma or DLP rear projection) but also partly because Sky's HD service won't launch till February, and I wouldn't get enough use out of a hi-def screen between now and then to make it worthwhile. If HD disc players and Sky HD were already with us, then I'd be looking to buy something now.

My suspicion is that "affordable" SED (i.e. SED that is comparable in price to plasma screens) is more likely to arrive in 2008 than 2007. (No doubt it will appear in the US and Japan in 2007, but not here, I don't think). That seems to me to be rather too long to wait.

But I could be wrong - I certainly wasn't expecting to see a 1080p plasma this soon. :)

18. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you mean to say that plasma has had a short life span? I certainly wouldn't agree with you.

And I fail to see how 2 manufacturers abandoning the technology should have any significance. Its not a Mac vs PC format war. The display technology has no bearing on a TVs compatability - CRT, plasma and LCD can all do High Definition.

Buying a plasma TV does not mean swearing allegiance to the technology, its a single TV purchase which most people will have carefully considered from an expected lifespan/budget point of view. They buy what is right for now, just as you have done. Once they have had their moneys worth they will just get rid of it and the whole TV buying process starts again, regardless of what display technology they had before.

I don't think you realised that I didn't actually say how long I was prepared to wait, and I really don't mind waiting a while. I certainly didnt say I was expecting a 32" SED for a £1000 - I said that I was considering waiting for a 1080 LCD set for under a grand, but if SED is on the way I may wait and review my budget. And yes I know that OLED has been announced, 3D panels are available from Sharp, UHDTV is being researched, and it never bloody ends.

Bear in mind that this SED set is a 50" not a 32". How much does a 32" LCD cost and how much does a 50" LCD cost???? Well, I've seen decent 32" LCDs for under £1000, but the ONLY 45" LCD I have seen is £4500, how much for a 50"?

All I want is a 1080p set over 32" and with a contrast ratio that I'm happy with. I have Sanyo Z3 that has a rated 2000:1 ratio, real world 1000:1, and I'm just not happy with the picture - I need a significantly higher contrast ratio to be happy with what I'm watching. I don't want to spend £1000 on a crap contrast ratio when I know that vastly improved CRs will be available.

I'm basing my TV purchase on the visual media that is available, and I want to aim for the highest spec for the next media standard. We are currently going through a transition phase to visual media that will have an optimum spec of 1080p resolution over HDMI/DVI, and I want to avoid buying anything inbetween.

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229

Although in principle I agree with what you are saying, what is currently available is unacceptable to me!

I have particular needs and only a few screens avaialble can offer that. This is one reason I am waiting for new technology to come out.

Im not just looking for a "good enough" screen that can show HD stuff. I want a perfect screen tailored for my needs.

It is possible, its just going to take time.