Toshiba 4k TV, 3 hdmi outputs and a V6 virgin box. What could possibly go wrong? 🤪

Uptown

Novice Member
Good afternoon everyone, I hope you are all safe and well.
First time poster, so bear with me.

So I have bought my first 4k TV and I have 3 hdmi outputs. These are connected directly as follows;

Hdmi 1 straight to V6 box, with 2160p auto detected.
Hdmi 2 straight to PS4.
Hdmi 3 straight to mini pc. All hdmi's are set to enhanced and pictures are fine.

Now, the problem I'm having is that to accommodate an additional console, (my son's switch), I am currently removing the hdmi lead for the PS4, and inserting the switch hdmi lead directly to the TV. Over time this will probably wear out the connection.

So, in my old HDTV with two hdmi outputs, I got by using an hdmi splitter/switcher and it was fine. When I try using one now, there is no signal to the console, which I worked out, is due to the V6 box set to 2160. But when I tick the boxes for 1080 outputs and passthrough options, the main virgin TV will swap from 4k to 1080 and when I switch on the console, the picture appears, which is great, but when I switch it off, I have sound, but no picture on virgin TV, only sound and the menu appears and I have to reset the V6 box back to 2160. Having real trouble working out how to keep the virgin TV at 2160, for the 4k channels and being able to switch to other connected devices without having to reset the V6 box everytime.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to try and get all information sorted.

Thanks and good luck!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Welcome,
First of all your TV has HDMI inputs, they're not outputs.
Buy a 4K HDMI switch and that should solve your problem.

Uptown

Novice Member
Welcome,
First of all your TV has HDMI inputs, they're not outputs.
Buy a 4K HDMI switch and that should solve your problem.
Thanks for the reply. I have bought one and this is what causes the issue. I use a hdmi lead running from the back of the V6 box, to one of the input. I then connect the TV hdmi to the output of the switch box. Picture appears, but when I then attach my son's console hdmi to the other input on the box, no signal! That's when I go into the V6 resolution settings, tick the 1080 signals etc and the console signal appears. But when I switch the console off, the switcher box reverts to the TV but with no visual, just sound and the virgin menu.

Uptown

Novice Member
Sorry for the late reply, I had my second jab yesterday and I feel rough.
This is the unit I'm using;

Now, I've attempted to connect the units again and gotten this far;

Hdmi lead to input 1 of switch box and TV hdmi 1 linked to output. The picture on my telly is running at 1080i, but when I launch a 4k file on YouTube, it runs at 4096 X 2160. It has so far not lost the video signal after using the pc or console, then switching back to TV.

Please correct me if I am wrong but, if UK broadcasts are cast at 1080i and I can run 4k videos/films when I want to, have I got the best set up I can have? Or is there a way to get my TV to upscale the 1080i signal? I understand that you have to subscribe to virgin for the uhd channels but it isn't worth it at the moment so, if this is the best I can get at the moment, great! But if I can upscale, even better!

Uptown

Novice Member
Update. Just finished using my pc, changed source to TV and lo and behold, TV picture has gone but audio and virgin menu is present. ***☹️
Update 2: I just removed the hdmi lead from the back of the V6 box, re-inserted it and the picture reappeared. Obviously not ideal but hopefully someone can work it out for me.

Last edited:

Uptown

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. So this issue of the picture going blank, audio ok and virgin menu showing after switching back from a console or pc and being solved by pulling out the hdmi and putting it back in....is that a problem with the V6 box or the lead?

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom