Toshiba 46WM48P - Story so far ...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by devlee, Feb 3, 2009.

1. devlee

devlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My TV is now 4 years old - I was jammy enough to win it in a SKY competition.

We love our TV and over the 4 years I have paid £150 for a new lamp, £140 to have the DLP wheel "re-calibrated" and then over this xmas it would struggle to switch on.

The LED lights suggested that the bulb was faulty (it looked fine to me) and so I then brought a new lamp for £180.

Replacing the lamp worked fine; but switching it on again the following day, it again struggled to switch on - the LED indicating the new lamp was faulty.

However occasionally it would switch on but will fail to switch on again subsequent attempts.

Goggling the symptons I came across a couple of US sites where the 46HM84 had the same problem as mine. I believe this set is just the US equivalent of the 46WM48P.

Seems that replacing the ballast resolved their problem.

I found a forum where someone had given detailed steps and photos on how to replace the ballast.

It also gave a link to the service manual for the 46HM84

Quotes for a new ballast ranged from £100 to £250, I was going perform the operation myself.

But I then switched on my TV and lucky it did come on - I thought I'll try out the service menu - got in fine (I know theblacksheep posted - service menu and colour wheel recalibration)

But the service manual also mentions a self test option which I tried - everything stated it was OK.

Now the strange thing is my TV now switches on OK - touch wood.

I've tried 7 times since this afternoon and each time it has switched on 1st time.

It maybe coincidence or self test reset something.

Here is the link

Toshiba 52HM84 Ballast Replacement (with large pics!) - AVS Forum

Again be very careful about changing ANY values

Hope this helps someone

Dilip

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. devlee

devlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke too soon - the telly will not start today.

Has anyone had similar problems or had changed the ballast?

Dilip