1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 46WM48B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by garry_williams@, Apr 14, 2005.

1. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Well I've had the 46WM48B for 3 months now and been loving every minute of it. Sure the blurring problem on certain progs is a RPITA but I watch DVDs most of the time.

Anyway turned the set on last week and the screen wouldn't come on. The set put itself through a power cycle 3 times and then when the pic came on the colour was all messed up - very stark green and blue and no red :eek: . Called tosh tech support (those guys are great - answer immediately and know their stuff). Took them 1 minute to tell me it's a 'serious problem' as there is only a single white bulb so it's an electrical component failure. Referred me back to Empire Direct which is where the fun starts. 5 days later the engineer that visited from VisualFX (the outsourced company) took 5 mins this time to say it's a serious problem and would have to go to the workshop for a fix. The bulb was now emitting the green and blue light (!) and he was amazed and was convinced the set has a deeper rooted fault that caused the bulb to be affected in this way.

I'll spare you the gory details but we're looking at 1 month minimum without a TV, which you just know will probably turn into a longer saga (I'm a pessimist).

Has anyone had any experience with a VisualFX repair? So far, so not impressed.

Cheers,
    Garry

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Wait as second you have a new tv which doesnt work and they wont fix it on site or replace with an other. I wouldnt except being witout my display especially a new one for 1 month. Are they not evan going to give you a loan set? P*ss poor if you ask me.

Insist you want a new set or at the very least a onsite fix. If they have already confirmed what the problem why cant they send an engineer out with the part you need.

Good Luck :) Oh and welcome to the forums.

3. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to give them a 'reasonable' amount of time to fix it, of course what is reasonable depends on your point of view. I would tell them I wanted it repaired within 14 days and if it takes any longer you want a loan set in the meantime. Get loud and obnoxious :) Its the only language British companies understand, they are so used to people shrugging their shoulders and saying 'oh well'.

4. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    this is why i think its a good idea getting a set from a large retailer and not an online shop. i got my sammy for 2499 + 420 for 5 year warranty plus 10% discount. if my set ever screwed up with your time i would make my way to comet and demand a replacement set. i suppose when ur face to face they tend to listen a bit more than over the phone :D

5. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wonder why Empire no longer sells this TV............

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Even after 3 months, I'd suggest that the Sale of Goods Act would probably entitle you to a full refund.

The advantage of doing this, and then buying a new TV (even if the same model) is

a) you get brand new Sale Of Goods Act rights
    b) you get a brand new warranty

The only disadvantage is that it can often be hard to persuade the retailer that you have the right to a refund. However, the local Trading Standards often help in cases of diffuculty.

7. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It sounds like i had exactly the same fault as you with the Tosh,i had to wait for two weeks(as a few of you know lol)until my new sammy came so my heart goes out to you,as has been stated try pushing them hard,and only speak to management or at least supervisor level(from experience)

sheep

8. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to thank all who took the time to chip in with their 2 cents. Buying over the web certainly does have its downsides. I read the Sale of Goods act and related acts thoroughly and noticed the clause re: "reasonable time" for a repair. End of the day, when I hollered at Empire they didn't budge. I very much got the impression they were in a very familiar position and just stuck to their guns re: the law. They are within their right to effect a repair after 28 days and of course 'reasonable time' is subjective - I have made my thoughts known very clearly!

it is worrying they no longer sell the set.

9. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    My Tosh 46" has just given up the ghost too after 3 months, well the colour has got all messed up at least. Can't get any response from Tosh service department except to refer me to the store where I bought it from.
    Seems to me that the colour wheel is out of sync and colours are all askew, blue is now green and faces are blue ( Might be good for sci-fi )

I used a credit card to purchase the set, so if I don't get fairly immediate satisfaction I will contact the credit card company.

Thomas.

10. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Gary, where abouts are you? Visual FX ring a bell my end wonder if it is the same company?

11. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scooby - I'm based in Hertfordshire and Visual FX are an Essex-based outfit.

Thomas - sounds exactly like the problem I had. After a month Empire have finally agreed to refund my money as there is still no outlook for a fix! TV going back to Empire next week and I'm looking at LCD instead. Not much logic to that I know but this experience has kind of put me off rear pro.

Garry

12. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it looks like it's all going wrong for the Toshiba doesn't it, it's all you seem to read on this forum....great shame!

13. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They came for my 46" Tosh, it's colour out of sync, and they took it away.
    The very next day, a phone call, "It's fixed." It will be returned on Monday.

The engineer who fixed it in the service menu had gone home so I couldn't find out the exact problem. I will find out on Monday and post the info.

If it's a service menu fix, I'll try to get full details in case it happens again, as I don't want to have it transported 40 miles round trip to the service department. If it was caused by a mains spike or something similar it could re-occur I assume.

The set was bought on-line from Digital Direct who I have to say were pleasant and helpful and efficient in this matter.
    Thomas.

14. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If nothing else it would be great to find out how to get into the service menu. Can you try to find out and let us know?

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Mrmoo :hiya:

I started you off on that on service menu ages ago sorry mate, I thought someone would of known it. :D

Hows your HTPC going?

16. -kreep

-kreep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tosh has gone up the spout aswell. It kept switchin itself off and the green light was flashin 4 times which meant there was a lamp unit error. This went on for more than a week.

I had hells teeth gettin anything out of the store that sold me it. They have finally agreed to take it back and for a little extra money I can have a HDtv Plasma, sorry but i've lost faith with Rear Projection...

...turned the TV on last night to see if it would stay on long enough to set Sky+ away to record something and now the damn thing is working again!!!

Problem is; had the tv company turned out last tuesday when they where supposed to they would have seen that it was fooked!

Now where the hell do I stand?? :rolleyes: You just know in a months time or when the warranty runs out, it's gonna do it again!! :mad:

TV is only 2 months old, not within 10ft of a radiator and with plenty of air around it so I can't put it down to that... :suicide: HELP!!!

During the 'argumentative stages' with the dealer this web site came in very handy: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/goods-service/appliances/fs_e01.shtml

That and the help from my companys leagal team finally got a decision outta the dealer! :clap:

17. -kreep

-kreep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor how do you access that service menu? :lease:

As for the Sammy Razor, I loved it, wife hated it...
    ..so i've been on to the solicitor and she's gettin evicted tomorrow! ;)

18. boysmile

boysmile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Toshiba 51WH36P and access the Service Menu this way:
    Press MUTE on the remote, press again and hold MUTE on the remote and press MENU on the set.

Since the menu and remote on the new models look the same, maybe it will work.
    But be careful boys and write down settings before changing anything! :lesson:

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Cheers Boysmile

The service menu hack has been sought after for a while now. :)

20. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    no menu pops up just this

volx 1606h
    73h 01110011b

21. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yep same company, me and a colleague both had bad dealings with these guys.

22. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to close this off thought I'd let you know I finally got a refund from Empire this week! VisualFX couldn't fix it in a reasonable time (Empire consider this to be a month btw in case any of you get into a dispute with them).

Now defecting to the LCD camp and waiting for the Philips 37PF9830 due in August.

Cheerds all,
    Garry

23. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Thanks
    The engineer will finally be repairing my Tosh today, on-site. If his cant sort it, I will be demanding a full refund from empire.

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Isnt it always the things that we are most fond of that end up breaking down. If only it could be something cheap and not so important such as a toaster or clock radio.

:confused:

25. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    hey !
    I'll have you know that some of us are very fond of our toasters and would be gutted if they broke down :suicide:

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

This is true Lion, but Star Wars just isnt the same on a Tefal :laugh:

It only has a 4:3 screen, but I have been told screen burn isn't an issue. :smashin:

Attached Files:

27. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It may not suffer with screen burn, but trust me 'Toast Burn' is permanent and a very serious issue on this model - so buyer beware! :D

28. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    owning a tefal toaster is my dream,
    who knows one day it may be mine if I cut back on other things to save up for it,
    untill then one will have to make do with one's cheap alternative "cookworks" toaster from argos £5.74. :D

29. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a toaster from Curry's once, it only toasted about 3/4 of a slice. Got a new Kenwood one the other weekend, its so great not having to rotate the bread to get a fully toasted slice :)

30. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a quick question lads. :lease:

I'm not up to speed on the current range of toasters - do they have built in scalers? I'm just wondering as my main input source would be Kingsmill thick :cool: