1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 46WM48

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Strideristhebes, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm upgrading my Toshiba PW13P (I've had it just over 4 years now) and I want to embrace the HDTV age. I was originally going for a plasma or LCD, but now I've found out that this model is HD ready I'm very interested in it.

The price is very tempting, it has a lovely big screen and it appears to have gotten decent reviews in various mags. Would anyone be interested in sharing their opinions on this particular TV with me? I understand that DLP are a huge difference in quality to the machine that I currently have and am very interested in your opinions on this.

Any likes and dislikes about this TV that you can give me will be greatly appreciated :)

Edit - I just have a few questions about it

Will it play Region 1 DVDs ok (I don't want to run anything via my PC as many people seem to do here).

Are web elictricals reputable (they have a price of £1,330 with a stand that looks pretty good).

2. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have this tv, I had some problems with sd stuff at first. But over the past few months it has been a great tv for dvd veiwing etc. Some people had problems with this set and some didnt so you will get a mixed veiw on this set from this forum.

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hi supermackem :hiya:

ive had mine for six months now like supermackem says the picture quality is very good for dvd's but some standard tv pictures can look awfull if you run from standard ariel,its a good set if your picking one up cheap but there are better sets out there and on the way so if your not in a rush maybe wait till dec time,thats when i will be looking to upgrade,need bigger screen :eek:

4. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does it look for games? I plannig onsticking my Cube and Xbox on it via progressive scan. Also I currently view Sky via a RGB socket and that's more than acceptable (if nowhere near as good as DVD or games).

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

its great for gaming i had xbox running through hidef kit and component and it looked great,sky will be fine i have ntl(cable) and that looks really good :thumbsup:

6. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are hundreds of threads on this set already so just look back a few pages and you will get all the info you need. Had mine since february and had no problems. Have ps2 hooked up via component and it looks fine, again dvd's are fine. Normal tv viewing is also fine, seems to have gotten better tbh. The only program thats quite bad i find is coronation street

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Audition this set before you buy and make sure you compare it to other brands.

I auditioned Toshiba, Samsung and Sagem models before buying my current screen.

There are issues with both the 46" and 52" Toshibas regarding digital picture artefacts during horizontal motion. Also, contrast, brightness and colour saturation was noticeably poorer than the Sagems and Samsung models I tested.

In addition to the "motion blurring" issues, that effect that has been refered to as the "oil slick" effect was particularly noticeable on skin tones. Played with the two Toshibas for ages but no amount of picture tweaking rectified these problems.

After seeing the Sagems and Samsungs in action, the Toshibas weren't even a consideration.

Some people find these issues liveable with - I didn't. You may or may not. Take your time and demo as many sets as possible, it pays off in the end.

As regards the PQ of Freeview / Satellite channels, these will be nowhere near the quality of DVD (particularly DVD through a good quality component feed) so don't be disappointed. Current broacast pics are not brilliant and a bigger screen will show up all the nasties. HD will be here soon so don't worry. Test the sets with DVDs.

Never heard of Web Electricals, but £1,330 is expensive for this set. Many dealers are selling it off much cheaper than this as Toshiba's current DLP range is about to be replaced with a new models.

8. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know any places where I could get it cheaper then, as you'd make my wife very happy.

Edit - cheapest I can find is £1225 from Total Digital. Are they reputable dealers?

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Do a search on this forum. I'm sure I remember people discussing seeing this set offered at £1,000-£1,100-ish.

I really would audition (and compare) any set you intend to buy first. Don't just make an online purchase based on recommendations on the forums. You're the one has to live with it on a day to day basis.

10. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    ive seen a few on ebay going for £1100 brand new from sellers with av shops worth a look,also 50" samy £1699

11. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where have you seen the samsung at that price? the cheapest I've seen is 1, 880 :(

Also, I've rather concerned at bulb life. I've worked out that the TV is on roughly 9 hours a day. By my calculations a 6,000 hour bulb is only going to last 2 years which is not good.

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Samsung quote 45,000 hours for their bulb life.

13. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Sorry i have to laugh, we all know it wont last that long. The bulb tech isnt that good yet. I would say 8-10 thou hours for most dlp tvs.

14. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    that was also on ebay just put dlp in the search it may have gone now as it had a buy it now price and they only had the 1

15. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    What do you mean by "the bulb tech isnt that good yet"? What improvements are expected?

Samsung UK Customer Services have told me (in writing - see email attached) that the bulb life is 45,000 hours, and they really should know. Where does this idea that Samsung bulbs only last 8-10k hours come from?

16. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Well from what ive read up on, must dlp bulbs where expected to last 8-12 thousand hours upwards max. 45,000 Is an awful lot more than what all other dlp tv makers qoute. Id hold on to that email and demand a new bulb if it doesnt last that long.

17. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    About the Tosh 46WM48. I tried it out in my local retailer with an Xbox plugged in via component (Microsoft's own) and I noticed the smearing/motion blur whilst playing Halo 2. This TV is not for me as I will be playing games on it a fair bit. However, would this still be the case if playing games at 720p or 1080i?

Would like to try out the Samsung 46" but they only had the 50" which is too much and although they said it had the same insides as the 46" I'm fairly sure it isn't as the 50" is a L7HX not a L6HX.

Would it be a good idea to try the samsung SP46L6HX before buying? The only negative thing I've heard about the Samsung is possible lag with games. Any opinions? I'll look into the Samsung on other thrteads too.

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    There's nothing to choose picturewise between the 50" and 46" Samsung models. I auditioned both on a couple of occasions before settling on the 46" model (had issues with the pedestal stand on the 50" - just personal preference).

There's a whole thread on the issue of game lag on this set and as all owners of the SP46 have stated, lag is not an issue with this set.

But most definitely - audition before buying. Goes for anything of this nature, but bear in mind some stores' set-ups leave a lot to be desired. Will look a lot better when you get it home and spend time tweaking and tuning the set.

19. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Thanks for that!
    Well, from what I've seen of the 50" it has a very good pic though the RF feed they had was poor but that's to be expected. I saw it with a DVD and PIP and was impressed.
    I'd like to try the 46" out first but they don't have one in stock at the moment. Well, it won't hurt to look around.

20. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had the 46" Toshiba since February, and although I can't for the life of me see how this should be so, it actually seems to have improved over the last three months or so, with very few artifacts showing up, and with seemingly better contrast.
    My issues with the set had been the horizontal panning blur, which now seems to crop up a lot less these days, and also the solarization effect, aka false contouring.
    Even viewing Sky is a joy ( including the Coronation Street broadcasts mentioned previously )
    Often you'd think that you were viewing broadcasts approaching HD, certainly they are very lifelike, sharp, colourful and pretty much free from artifacts.
    Whether its the transmitted bit-rate that has altered with greater numbers of broadcasts featuring higher bit-rates than previously, or whether broadcasters are using HD cameras which might make a difference even on standard def pics I couldn't say but the picture quality is high and often stunning.
    Also I find the sound quality for normal use is great too. I chose the set because it had a decent picture, and loads of room for DVD players, amps etc and it looks the part in a home cinema room. Maybe DLP will eventually bite the dust with the new SED sets giving the benefits of CRT but with large screens, free from picture distortion but for now DLP is great, especially for the money, and I very much enjoy watching my Toshiba set.

21. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would second that pauley, i demoed both with my Denon 2910 connected via HDMI in Curry's, and the pictures look identical, apart from the 46" looked a little bit more brighter, but could have just been the settings, i don't know. The reason i ended up going for the 50" was first and foremost the size! :D

22. splash39

splash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got to agree with you electrosim, i find that my tosh is generally outstanding on all sources good or bad, not that it was that bad to begin with but things have improved with age. I have had mine since March. :)

23. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I remember that 'solarization effect, aka false contouring' when i had this set, and it was unbearable. Not as bad as the panning blur mind you, as the solarization was mainly visible on weak signals, but as for the panning blur, well, that was evident all over the shop, with strong or weak signals :eek:

24. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Splash,

It's really interesting that you should confirm my findings. I did wonder whether I had done the right thing when I bought the set, as the set was getting four stars against five for Sagem and others ( mainly due to slightly less contrast I think ), and then my set went pear-shaped in April, with all colours out of sync.
    When it had been fixed at a repair centre, and it came back, I thought it didn't look as good as before its breakdown, with lots of solarization where I hadn't noticed it previously.
    However now it's really looking very good, so good that you can just look at it and be amazed, and that's from Sky.
    I don't see how it could improve with age but it does appear to have done.

25. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Had mine since January and it's steadily improved ever since I got it.

I now run Sky through a cheap HTPC using a standard analogue TV card with Dscaler and ALL panning blur and solarization have gone.

Hi Def stuff looks phenomenal.

So, happier than ever at the moment. Roll on SkyHD :clap:

26. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    9 hours a day!!!!
    You want to get out more. :rotfl:

27. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like you've got yourself an offer STRIDERISTHEBES :eek: :D :smashin:

28. info

info
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Tosh for 6 months and can definately say it has settled down and the picture quality has improved with very little blurring evident now even on Eastenders (Wife makes me watch it) :).

dalespitfire....I'm now looking to get a HTPC..any suggestions.

Info

29. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You offering :rotfl:

Seriously though, we tend to have the TV on as background noise, so my daughter listens to mtv etc when she comes home from school and then the wife likes to watch stuff from 8-10. After that, I'll normally stay up till about 1. I'm sure I'm not the only night owl here :)

30. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thats some heavy watching mate, are you sure dlp is the right tech for you. Maybe look into lcd as it has a much longer life span, by the sounds of your veiwing you will be changing lamps pretty often lol.