1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 46WM48

Discussion in 'TVs' started by markz, Dec 5, 2004.

1. markz

markz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for a rear projector for some time now and started out with the Sony 42SX300 then saw the LG which convinced me DLP was the way to go plus I have visited the Texas Instruments fab and display facility in the states - very impressive technology. At this point in time I think we are spoilt for choice there are some very nice TV's available for the money - personal choice and budget and present availability pulls me to the Toshiba 46WM48 however the Samsung 46L3HX is close behind. For me the Samsung is more expensive and is proving difficult to source plus my experience of Samsung UK has not been good - they really are not customer aware! A couple of things about the Toshiba I would change if I could would be to relocate the speakers and add PIP but this is being a bit picky!!

Any owners of the Toshiba experienced any negatives or have any comments to add regarding the 46WM48?

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum shared their views/experiences and made for interesting, informative and varied reading.

Cheers

Mark Z

2. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    no dvi

3. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 46 Tosh for the last month now I cannot really fault it ,RGB via scart from my DVD player is sweet and analog picture is pretty good...remote is a bit ropey...cant say worse than that really.

4. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Had my Tosh for a few weeks and it rocks.........

Got a HTPC connected and hdtv stuff is absolutely awesome!

Also got an xbox with hi def kit connected - bloody brilliant!

It has a HDMI socket on the rear all reday for SKY Hi - Def !

Can't wait........

Dave, Oldham

5. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What DVD player are you using on it Whiteswan?

6. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I am using my pc dvd player.................also because I have the hi def kit for the xbox I have used this as well with superb results!

Dave, Oldham.

7. cola

cola
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - can on of you lucky guys with the Toshiba 46WM48 - please,please send me a photo /sketch of it from above looking down. As I really want one - but have to put it in an odd shaped corner and need to know if it goes straight back from the screen or is thin at the edge and goes thicker toward the screen centre - if you see ehat I mean? I really need to know the angle at the back of the screen, to see if it'll feet (Fingers crossed!) :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Andy.

8. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i took some pics but for some reason they will not upload keeps saying error.........but basically it is at is the depth on the specs but for the speakers where it is 3 or 4 inches in depth........will try to post pics later....
    by the way here is a link to the american version but a 52incher (review)
    http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1911_main9563.html

9. markz

markz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could an existing Toshiba 46WM48 owner help out with the approximate dimensions of the shelves so I can see where my amp, DVD player, Recorder & Playstation are going to fit. Available height and width would be great for each shelf. Is the shelf adjustable in height or removable?

Thanks

Mark Z

10. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Gonna go take a look at this set once my RD50 is collected and I'm refunded,shouldnt be a huge difference between them apart from the screen size really.
    Does it come off the stand or is it pretty much integrated btw? I wouldnt fit all stuff on that stand I dont think.

If I dont like this one much I'll be going back to front projection,the samsung really doesnt do anything for me with that pedestal stand.

Sean

11. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the shelf can be moved and also removed completely if you so wish....I would love to hear your feed back on this if and when you do get it

12. markz

markz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, I've ordered it this evening, just hoping Toshiba can deliver before Christmas - if anyone has a contact in Toshiba UK then I'd be very pleased to hear from them. Could you tell me please what is the approximate shelf width and total available height in the stand? I'm thinking I may need an alternative like the IKEA Oppli.

Thanks

Mark Z

13. simonic

simonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    first time user. As the 46wm48 is a rear projection can anyone tell me if you still lose picture quality when viewing from an angle. Thank you.

14. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Simonic - welcome aboard!

The original CRT RPTV's used to suffer badly from poor viewing angles.

The story is much better with LCOS, LCD, and DLP RPTV's - normally viewing angle is somewhere in the region of 140 to 180 degrees (depends on the TV).

So most match, or better Plasma's for viewing angle.

Although saying that, there has been reports that there is some loss when viewing from "above" - but how often are you going to be watching a set from a pair of step-ladders? :laugh:

I saw the Tosh in Costco in Watford yesterday, and was blown away by it - the picture quality is superb.

T.

15. simonic

simonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers TonyA, thanks for the info i'll bear it mind. Spotted a Panasonic TH-50PHW3B 50 in. HDTV Plasma Television for £2000, seems to have good specs so gonna have a look at that aswell. Do you or anyone know anything about that 1?
    Cheers bud.

16. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm new to the forum, but joined specifically to find out about the Tosh. which I have now bought. The picture is stunning, even with Sky digital. In fact, Sky has less artifacts on this TV than it did on my old 36" Panny which surprised me. The colours are simply stunning. With DVDs it is even better. The sound from the TV is pretty good as well. I bought it because I had seen my friends Sagem Axuim and was blown away. I went to comet and the 2 sets were side by side. Sagem (as mentioned elsewhere) was showing hi-def through a PC whilst the tosh was showing normal TV with a lot of interference. Obviously the Sagem looked stunning. I asked the salesman to show the same normal TV picture on both sets and the Tosh won easily. The fact that it came with a stand and that they had one in stock clinched it. It is also hi-def ready (for Sky) whereas the Sagem will have to be modded. I suggest anyone looking for this kind of set makes sure that they test both with the same picture. Hi-def will make any set look stunning (and it is very clever of Sagem to do this). I am very happy with my purchase and (to my eyes) this set beats any Plasma screens that I have seen.

17. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your very helpful contribution Fleagledog.

Sagem has been very clever in the way they've helped Axium stockists demostrate it's HD capability (I assume they supply the PC's used for the demo's).
    I fact, what is REALLY important is these sets capability with standard broadcasts. Other people seem to be commenting on how well Toshiba performs in this respect.

18. Essexdad

Essexdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0