1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 46WM48 with Denon 2910 HDMI Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AndyP123, May 24, 2005.

1. AndyP123

AndyP123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All

I have a Tosh 46" DLP and a Denon 2910 setup. I am running my visuals through HDMI and finding that the blacks are greenish in colour, artifacts and blocking are also present. Strange thing is, hours later and I mean a good few hours, the PQ becomes sharp, detailed and vibrant without changing any settings.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum as it could be the TV or the DVD player at fault, but has anyone got any ideas why this is happening? :confused:

I am using Star Wars 2 Attack of the Clones R2 as this is the disk I was using when I noticed the change if this helps.

Please help, its driving me nuts. Why can't the PQ be this good on start up?

Andy

2. P&J

P&J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 52WM48P and 2910, linked by HDMI. The 52 and 46 are basically the same machine, just having different screen sizes.
    Although I've not experienced the problem you describe I did have some trouble with occasional blips with the picture at first.
    These 2 points (buried in the manuals) maybe relevant to your problem.
    1. The HDMI output from the 2910 must be set to Y/Cb/Cr, not RGB.
    2. When playing back, via HDMI, a PAL-formated disc, be sure to set the TV-TYPE option to NSTC. The manual is not clear whether this just applies at 1080i or all HDMI formats. I only use 1080i as the Toshiba manual indicates the HDMI input is 'optimised' for 1080i.
    Hope this helps.

3. AndyP123

AndyP123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your advice P&J.

At this moment I am running a progressive output at 720p and using the component HDMI output rather than RGB. The player is also set to NTSC as this seems to stop pause and blocking during layer changes.

Tried Kill Bill last night and the picture was shocking. Especially just after the first fight seen with the shot from the ceiling. Detail was terrible and white grain everywhere. Is this just the dvd material?

All I can say is I have tried every setting on the tv and player and the only thing that makes the picture sharp is time. Could this be a problem with the tv's warm up procedure or HDMI socket?

Andy

PS. I am using a QED 2m HDMI lead if this helps.

4. P&J

P&J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Andy
    Can't help much more. I watched Kill Bill 1 a couple of weeks ago and picture was very very good (all except for a strange, slightly shaded effect on the very deep black in a couple of scenes). I have always watched DVDs via HDMI at output of 1080i, due to the Toshiba manual recommending this setting).
    The TV takes very little time to 'warm up'. 30 secs or so after switch on and the picture quality is constant until switch off. Only varying with quality of source material.
    Unfortunately I do not have a lot of spare time in which to try out various different settings and as the setup was pretty much excellent straight 'out of the box' I've sat back and enjoyed. The only problem with the DVD was solved by realising that it needed NSTC setting for 1080i via HDMI.
    I hope you get your problem resolved.

Pete

5. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Andy,

Have you upgraded the firmware on your 2910?
    This was a common problem with this machine before the version 8 firmware was released.

If you haven't then do a search on the DVD player forum and you will find a link to the multi region firmware.

Hope this helps - I have the exact same setup and it worked for me.

Regards,
    Chris.

6. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I've actually just found the file, so if you can;t find it let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

7. AndyP123

AndyP123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Vandal, I have upgraded the firmware now to 8. The settings reset but I didn't have much time last night to optimise. The picture is showing pixels really heavy and its hasn't made any difference to the greenish tint. :mad:

I know this player and TV can create a wonderful picture, I have seen it with my own eyes. So I'm trying a different HDMI lead tonight to see if it helps.

If it doesn't I'm going to take a picture of the screen to see what you all think it could be.

Andy

8. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Andy,

Have you got component leads?
    If so try them and see if the green tint goes away.
    I actually found the HDMI connection simply 'too defined' for my tastes.
    Component makes the image look more cinematic (lower res) in my opinion.
    However when I had the HDMI lead I didn't know the following...

For HDMI you have 2 settings on the 2910, RGB, and YCR (IIRC).
    Make sure this is set to YCR.

The only other thing I can suggest is using a setup disc like DVE or even the ?THX optimiser.
    As you say this setup produces a SUPERB picture, so either there really is a fault or something needs tweaking.

Good luck!

V.

9. AndyP123

AndyP123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Found out that the Tosh was at fault. Not sure what the reason was just hoping that the Samsung SP50 I'm getting tomorrow will make me :) again!! After much deliberation I plumped for the Samsung following all comments posted.

Wanting to get my first taste of HD, so thinking of building a HTPC to run with it. Priced up the components at £640. Basic case mind. Will upgrade to a HTPC case with VFD later. Any recommendations on spec for smooth HD playback. Spec in my budget so far.. 3ghz processor, 1gig ddr2 ram, Abit AL8 Motherboard, SATA hard drive etc :smashin: :thumbsdow . Is it true ATI is better for video playback? I was looking at the 6800gt graphics card. Is the X800 better?

Anyway, fingers crossed for safe delivery tomorrow :lease:

Andy