1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 46WM48 Reliability.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Vandal, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    As there seem to be more and more threads on here with problems with set, I thought I would try and gauge what the real situation is. It would be interesting for others to post their comments on even minor issues they have with the set.
    For me, things are starting to look a little worrying with regard to the long lifespan of this TV. There are many things which smack of 'immature technology syndrome' to me, but maybe I just have a flaky set!?

Now I'm all too aware of the 'oil painting' effect and the slow-pan blur issues, which are annoying but weren't a deal breaker for me, because otherwise the picture is superb.

My TV has now died and is in process of being repaired (see other thread), but before this I had noticed several 'minor' problems and was wondering what other Tosh owners findings were.

Here are my issues, other than the ones above:
    1. The 'smeared' patch on my screen in the middle. Others have reported this also in different places. Only shows to me in bright areas. It is definitely something od drop-outs. Only happened to me twice. The sound would disappear and re-appear at maybe 2 second intervals. This would again stop me from switching the TV off via the remote. I either switched off at the TV or has to unplug to switch off. :eek:

That's all I can think of for now, apart from the fact that my set is dead of course :D

Regards,
    Chris.

2. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People tend to only complain when they have a problem, so I'm not sure how representative a forum like this is to gauge reliability. This is one of the reason I bought from Costco as you get a 3 year warranty. If it breaks I'll change it for another one or may try the Samsung.

As it is, I'm very happy with my 52" Tosh :)

3. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well i had 2 Tosh's loved the looks loved the pq in general just couldnt face the reliability problems and so moved to the Sammy,........which has packed up on me...so maybe better the devil you know lol

sheep

4. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mine's 5 months old. No problems yet. :)

5. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    well my hdmi is gone

6. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    had mine for three months now and is starting to go down hill steadily. the first thing i noticed was this loud cracking noise which is getting more and more frequent as i watch the tv , as well as louder.the text does not respond at times when pressing the buttons on the remote, but after about three goes it works. the sound will fade in and out while watching the tv like some one is lowering and then turning the volume up, the only way is to turn the set off and wait for about ten minutes then turn back on and it seems to reset itself. and the last one has just started to happen, everytime i switch channels the screen fills with what i can only describe as multi coloured blocks of pixels,which last for about two to three seconds then it resets itself.i am not that bothered at the moment as i got it from costco and to be quite honest there is nothing out there that i would have the confidance to buy.i was going to get a replacement but after reading some of the threads i do think that tosh do have a problem with this set, on the whole the set does work for me in that the way it looks and the price and in my opinion when i stood next to the sammy and the tosh i thought the tosh had a much clearer picture and sharper than the sammy.but as i say thats only my opinion.but at the end of the day this is a nearly a two grand set and thats the biggest disappointment for me , at that sort of price range you would of thought that the tv manufacturers would of ironed out the problems that everyone does seem to be having with this set, but i think it is a case of they see a potential market lets fill it, and with the poor consumer rights we have in this country sod the consumer let them battle it out with the supplier when it goes tits up.

7. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Quite true Willwood, but this was more to gauge the small problems, that over time become the bigger problems.
    I still like the Tosh, but there do seem to be an awful lot of issues with them.
    Although looking over the forums, there seems to be some issues with the Sammy too!

Thanks all for the replies.

V.

8. -kreep

-kreep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has a 'Lamp Unit Error' according to the lights on the front. I basically have no picture for a while then it works again for an hour or day or so. :mad:

I can't live with the panning blur anymore either, you should try playing Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube on it... :eek: It's unplayable!! All because of this panning blur/dithering!! Grrrr :mad: and then there's the bloody rainbows!

Mine is going back and being replaced with a Hitachi PD7200 plasma, like I said in another post, I've lost faith in DLP rear pro. i think the technology is too much in it's infancy with too many problems for me to spend £1700 on it.

Maybe in 3 years time when my plasma has got image burns and faded colours, only then, might the DLP market come up with a fool proof set that'll make me buy one, until then though... :thumbsdow

9. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My set suddenly had its picture screwed up, ( see colour sync problem post blue screen now green etc )
    It was taken away for repair and came back seemingly OK after its software re-initialisation. After viewing it for just a few minutes though I realised that the picture was not right, and on darker scenes was showing a strong posterisation effect ( if that's the correct terminology ) The sort of effect you get on MTV videos.
    Luckily the engineers were still in the area so they came back within the hour.
    They said the picture was OK and that I should expect digital artifacts because of the digital processing. All digital sets did that.
    I said that I appreciated that there were some artifacts to be expected but that the picture was definitely worse than when it was previously working properly, and that there hadn't been this posterisation before. Skin tints were now in definite blocks and were not smoothly shaded, as were other darker tints. you can see what this effect is like if you hold your hand up in front of your face with outstretched fingers and if you wave your hand quickly so that you are viewing the picture through your fingers. Vary the speed until our can get just the right speed to see the effect. My set shows signs of it with straight forward viewing.

So it got to the point where I was saying, "and I can assure you that it wasn't like this before." The engineer, sitting right up to the set adjusted the colour wheel delay in the menu, backing it off I think, by guesswork and this seemed to improve matters. It's difficult to see the effect because as scenes change on screen it comes and goes depending upon the transmitted data.
    The engineers were not especially knowledgeable about the set and had to get some codes from their service centre. I was told the set had been re-set to factory default values. But it seems that tweaking the settings did improve matters. I'm not fully convinced that the set is still spot on but it will be next to impossible to convince these engineers that there is anyting wrong with the set. As I said, the engineer was sitting right by the set so it must have been nigh on impossible to judge the pic quality.
    I visited Currys later to check both the new Sagem and Samsung and they showed no signs of this posterisation effect.

My concern is that few engineers know much about DLP sets. Three local repairers wouldn't even look at the set. The original problem was easy to see and easy to fix, the software parameter codes were screwed ( don't know what caused this but I'm guessing maybe a mains spike so I have bought a surge protector socket ) but when it comes to nit-picking adjustment it becomes a " Well I can assure you that all sets are like this." response.

I rang Toshiba and after several attempts managed to speak to some-one who knew some-one who could advise me and has asked them to call me back tomorrow, hopefully. What I did ask about was if there wasn't a DVD disc that engineers could use to calibrate these sets as it extremely difficult to make adjustments on a continually changing picture. I was told that there are discs for this purpose.

To me the upshot of all this is caveat emptor. These are new sets and you may have to put up with some inconveniences. I have taken out an extra 2 year warranty. It seems that maybe there are issues with this set but it seems they may be mostly software related and so be reasonably easy to fix by competent engineers. When you spen £1500 on a TV and have DVD connected with component in and have bought in anticipation of HDTV you do tend to be a bit nit-picky.
    Thomas.

10. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Electrosim,

Not sure what you mean by 'posterisation'.

Who did you take out your extra two year warranty with?
    Was it the original retailer or a 3rd party?

11. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thousands sold worldwide, a handful reported (possibly) 'faulty' here. Typical of any product really.

12. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    pantages, You would never guess you own one :D

I like the use of the words "probably" and "handful".

13. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    You are seeing what you want to see, I never used the word 'probably'!

It is a good tv and highly recommended.

My new car developed a fault, I had it fixed and I still drive it. No big deal.

14. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank God for Pantages :clap:

15. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Oops sry, "Possibly" ...same thing

16. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I owned a business selling TV's for a living for about 5 years. I would expect to see some of the more popular makes with a return rate of 1:20. Funnily enough some of cheap makes hardly ever went wrong, weird.

Type 46wm48 in Google and this forum comes up as the number one hit.

Simple maths: Lots of people buy the TV, a percentage of TV's die, they look for help, they find this site = high number of dead TV posts.

More than other makes? Who knows? How many have been sold? It was one of the cheapest and one of the first. That and the Sagem proberbly sold more than the others I would guess. How many people seek out a website just to tell everyone their TV is working fine? The thing I would look for is a common fault, that's far more significant.

17. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    miaow! Thank you, I feel very humbled. Is that a Knighthood, for services to common sense, coming my way?;)

mrmoo - I fail to understand why some people insist on making a mountain out of what is really a molehill. I understand the frustration when something does go wrong, I have had many such occasions. But to influence others is unfair and potentially damaging to manufacturers and retailers alike. Any product is not perfect and is unlikely ever to be, whether it be Matsui or B&O. Provided you stick to the terms of your contract with the retailer then any problem can easily be resolved.

18. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    What a load of Tosh ;)

Sorry Pantages but I don't see anyone making a mountain out of a molehill here. How do you know that 85% of these TV's aren't having some problem or other? You don't. Neither do I. All we are doing is having the discussion.
    Some people have posted saying that they don't have problems, some say they do.

I love my Tosh, and hopefully it will be repaired and live a long life as the main TV in the house.
    What I don't love is the panning blur, oil painting effect and the seeming quality issues.
    I also don't like the prospect of shelling out £250 for a new bulb every 6 months!

I know the point your making, but I think it's misdirected in this thread.

19. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, did I miss something, I thought the lamps had lives of 3000 odd hours, you'd have to some to watch 3000 hours in 6 months.

20. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    On High setting you should have around 2500 hours but on Low setting you can expect up to 5000 hours usage. If you watch your DLP set for, say, 5 hours per day you could expect 72 weeks viewing on High or 142 weeks on Low, that is almost 3 years! This proves my point precisely. Negative thoughts are exaggerated in order to validate a point. As far seeing artifacts on the Toshiba or any other make, it is no worse than seeing poor convergence, geometry or contrast that we put up with for 40 years on a conventional CRT tv without any thought of demanding a replacement. I maintain the Toshiba is no worse than any other DLP tv or projector, they all have their foibles. For around £1,500 you get an excellent tv, for £20,000 you can have an excellent DLP projector but even that is not perfect and inevitably there would be postings on here about that. Good news is no news. Oh, I am, like anyone else, entitled to express my opinion, just because I don't go with the flow does not mean I am wrong!

21. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think 5 hours a day average is probably bang on the money for me.
    My bulb lasted 5 months on low lamp mode for at least 95% of that time.

I am trusting that the engineers will confirm some kind of lamp error, rather than the lamp simply expiring due to use.

What is interesting is that I have read some posts on the old rear-projection TV's and the bulb doesn't simply go 'pop', but it will fade over time. Which means that you may need to get a new bulb before said 'pop' happens!

So are the quoted times for bulb life before death, or simply bulb life before the fade?

22. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    'Old' projection tv's used three CRT's, red, green and blue, for the picture, and in time they could 'fade'. The plastic lens were inferior to more expensive glass ones and were liable to fade. I never kept a CRT rear projector long enough find out. Lamp life and brightness has improved dramatically since the early LCD sets and they will continue to do so. The price will inevitably begin to fall in due course.

23. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mountain out of a mole hill mmmm. obviously certain people can afford to spend £1600 and put up with these faults that certain people seem to be having, a handfull that is . pantages you must have big hands thats all i can say,because the way i see it , there is more than a handfull of people having problems with this set. as regarding seeing what we want to see,if you scroll through the tosh threads a lot of people are having problems with the sound on this set to. so i suppose we are hearing what we want to here as well.

24. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Watch out, Watch out there's a moderator about......... :nono:

Not me of course but just to warn you not to get too heated........I've already had posts removed for not much more than that last comment :hiya:

Obviously if you have a faulty £1600 set then it isn't a mountain out of a molehill, that I can sympathise with and I hope it gets sorted for you. :smashin:

Still agree with Pantages that people only come here if they have problems though (and if they are knowledgable to know it exists of course!!) :rolleyes:

On the whole it is people who have problems that look for somewhere to ask questions, hence why you never see any "Can you tell me where I post to say how much I love my £4000 TV" threads!!

25. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The point I am making is that thousands of these Toshiba tv's have been sold worldwide and only a 'handful' have been reported as faulty. This product has been snapped up by early users, many of whom have taken the initiative from this forum. These are the people who are likely to complain or report faults, hence what seems to be a 'huge' number. In fact I would suggest there are fewer faulty Toshiba DLP's than there are of the other makes. When you filter out the actual report of a fault, there are very few, most of the rest is from other forum readers who are adding their ha'penny worth. Or from those who think they know best by entering the service menu and altering factory settings!

For the record, and as reported elsewhere, my first Toshiba was faulty and was replaced within 24 hours. Since then I have been more than happy and I prefer the DLP to my earlier Panasonic plasma. Early adopters are always most likely to find a fault in new gear, which in later versions will have been ironed out. So to single out Toshiba is unfair and not representative of DLP as a whole.

And yes, I do have big hands, although my mouth is of more modest proportions. ;)

26. bannani

bannani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I am a newbee in reardlp and looking for changing my conventionnal TV 32', I looked for Plasma, but the pictures I saw on various plasma was not descent to me, not good at all except for high end one but the price:( , so I lean towards RearDLP and looked for the Toshiba 46WM48 , I live in France , and we can have it for less than 1300£ which is pretty good price here in .
    I read the all the pages in the forums and now I am afraid ,
    - Ghosting with Hdmi connection
    - Blurring in paning
    - VGA , limited to 1024x768
    Could you confirm me all those drawbacks and tell me if there is a solution to find ?
    And also know who has no problem with his Tosh, since we hear only bad complaints, naturally,
    I would love to buy this tosh and be sure to buy it in having conscious of all things to know about it

I appreciate your helps

27. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Indeed. Don't get personal, and stay on topic.

28. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i no i may have gone close to the knuckle with my comment,and i apologize for that but i get a wee bit cheesed of with certain people trying to put down others who are posting there opinions about problems that they are having with there sets. i no that there are those who have the doom and gloom factor about them, but i would say that if the telly performed with out the problems that some people are having then i think no one would complain. it has the looks and the quality especially on hd material and personally i am gutted that these problems do exist.like so many others i would love to keep this set or exchange it for another tosh, but at this moment in time itis to big a gamble. how do i no this ,its because i have read all of the threads on this forum (good and bad ) and come to my own conclusion of what to do. but i can say that i would of been a lot more in the dark about what to do if it was not for this forum. imagine going back to comet or currys and being told that yours is the only set that we no of having these problems,would you still go for a exchange, i doubt it the majority would just put up with repair after repair as you could not put up a argument, but when you go back to those said stores armed with the evidence you may obtained from the forum then they stand up and listen.

29. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Pantages, where do you get this number of a handful, its more like a bus load on this forum alone. You say only people come to forums to complain, But what about the overwhelming majority of Tosh buyers that do not use forums or pc's. This forum has a small fraction of the Tosh buyers and the majority seem unhappy and your biased opinions are maybe making people make a purchase mistake. If you look around this forum the tosh must be getting some of the worst feedback overall at the moment.
    Your views are valid but you should word them with no bias for example the use of: Handful - You would make a great goalie, Man UTD and Arseal are on the look out.
    Probably - Probably faulty, even when these people have told you they are reported so.

You may have a lucky tv yourself which may or maynot develope faults so think yourself lucky !

30. Picman

Picman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Pantages to a certain point, early adopters of new technology will always find 'bugs' with their purchase, it's almost like being used as beta testers to find the problems so the manufacturers can improve the product. Toshiba will have sold 1000's of these sets by now with only a small percentage reporting problems.

My first set was faulty, fortunately I bought it from Costco and exchanged it no problem. My second set displayed the blurring/oil painting effect far more than my first faulty set..go figure. But after 6-8 weeks the set seemed to 'settle in' and i no longer saw the rainbows (maybe i just got used to them), but the blurring/oil painting DEFINATELY got better... and i do look for it when watching Eastenders and the like.

What would be interesting would be to compare the software version I'm using compared to other users and also the sets being shipped now, if anyone knows how to check...let me know.

Picman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.