Toshiba 46WM48 - Last shout for help

Reaction score
Hi all,

After being irrevocably tempted by the amazing price and value for money I caved in and bought a Toshiba 46WM48.

Upon receiving the set my very first impression was that I had made the purchase of the century. I was wholeheartedly impressed. Then I plugged in my x-box.

During the static menu screens I was overwhelmed by the clarity of the image, the depth of the colour and the sharpness of the picture. However, I soon discovered that whilst playing the game something was seriously amiss.

After a few minutes I noticed that whenever I moved the camera across the landscape at a steady speed the static background would blur horribly. Everything took on an oil-painting like appearance. Absolutely hideous.

I was mortified. I mean.... aside from this the TV had blown me away. I really thought I was onto a winner. The problem is I am an avid gamer. I ply Halo 2 on Xbox Live every day. To have this effect ruins the game entirely.

The place I bought the set from have agreed to let me return the item and I am grateful for their friendly and understanding manner. The thing is... if there is anything I might be able to do to clear this problem i would LOVE to know. So.... if you have any ideas.... I have until Monday morning. Let me know.

Buy a Lumagen DVI for about £800. Set to 59.94 output at 720p it will clean up the motion blur completely. However, if you can return the set for free than I think that might be a better (certainly cheaper) bet.

Regards

Mark

I was tempted by the iScan from DVD0 at £849 for upscalling poor picture sources - is the Lumagen any good on standard AF or Sky type feeds as well as Games?:confused:

Cheers:hiya:

Well, I feed Sky+ through it using a scart to four-way RGBi lead and it even looks good at over 8ft wide through a Z3 (over HDMI), provided you stick to one of the higher bit rate channels like Ch5 or Sky Movies.

There's a new Lumagen coming that's all HDMI, but alas it's set to cost about £5000 so I won't be rushing out to get one just yet.

Regards

Mark

Thanks - that helps:thumbsup:

General_Zod.

How did this come as a surprise to you? This problem with the Toshiba has been discussed in reviews and on almost every Toshiba thread on the forum.

And of course you did get a full demo before you bought, didn't you?

Er, you did, didn't you? :confused:

When you've spent over a grand on a new TV and in order to get a decent picture the advice is along the lines of "Buy an upscaler for just under a grand.", then you've got the wrong set.

Return the set and check out the new Samsung 46" model, the same size screen and the nearest price match to the Toshiba. Plug in, turn on and enjoy. None of the motion blur issues and a noticeably superior picture to the Toshiba. And no need for another grand or so for upscalers, etc.

When you spend four figures on a TV you want to be able to turn it on and see a nice picture, with no p***ing about. Right? :)

I agree 100% and I am at the front of the queue when it comes to demanding a TV that handles SD and poor quality feeds properly just as any other CRT should - but it seems we are in a minority according to the manufacturers and the stores who say that no-one else is complaining ??!:confused:

It seems large screen HD TVs work well for HD and OK for DVD but the scaler inside every box sold today is cheap low grade stuff and cannot handle the job of blowing up an image to the larger screen sizes without exposing all the defects or failing to cover motion blur. This is why it seems we will have to spend more on a scaler with a decent processor inside (what the manufacturers should have done) with enough grunt to get round the problem.:(

Cheers:hiya:

It's a case of garbage in - garbage out. Freeview / Sky PQ is fairly naff anyway. Also, the better the resolution of the set, the more nasties it shows up.

The revelation for me when I got my DLP was that the PQ on channels 1-5 on the terrestrial, analogue RF feed was far superior to the same channels on digital.

Not an issue for me anyway as I find 99% of TV dire beyond belief (talking content now, not PQ) and use the set to watch DVDs. Bought a HDD/DVD recorder in July and the only programme I've wanted to record was a concert on BBC Four. The rest of the time it has been used for transfering irreplaceable VHS material to DVD. Not too worried about the advent of Hi-Def broadcasting either. Same old s*** only clearer! :(

Hi-Def DVD however is highly anticipated! :smashin:

Mark_a said:
Buy a Lumagen DVI for about £800. Set to 59.94 output at 720p it will clean up the motion blur completely. However, if you can return the set for free than I think that might be a better (certainly cheaper) bet.

Regards

Mark

Ive got to get one

:confused:
Toshiba - approx price £1,100 + Lumagen DVI £800.

Samsung - £1,300. With superior levels of contrast, brightness and colour saturation, no motion blurring, and no "oil slick" effect.

Am I missing something here Elephant Man? :confused:

the_pauley said:

Samsung - £1,300. With superior levels of contrast, brightness and colour saturation, no motion blurring, and no "oil slick" effect.

I need the Lumagen

Ah! Because you've got the Tosh already?

the_pauley said:

the_pauley - do you know the model number of the Samsung you're talking about? Am 99% sure I'm about to buy a Samsung 46" DLP Rear Projection - it's model number (according to the sales guy over the phone - i forgot to write it down when i was in the shop demo'ing it tonight!) was L6HY - it was £1499.99 but he was doing it for £1275.

Paul.

The model is the SP46L6HX.

Forget the suffix of the last two letters, this tends to vary from stockist to stockist for some reason. Samsung's packaging only has 46L6 printed on it. The L6 is the important bit - this indicates that this is the latest version of the 46" screen.

Would you recommend a purchase then at £1275? Set looked amazing with HD fed into it.

Not sure if amp, sky+, dvd player, dvd recorder and centre speaker would fit in the 2 shelves underneath though - may have to fork out for a 3-shelf glass tv unit instead.....

Paul.

That's a good price. Where is it from?

And I'd certainly recommend a purchase - I bought one six weeks ago and have been delighted with it. Completely issue free purchase. Looks terrific with standard definition DVD too. Quality via component is stunning.

And before you fork out several hundred pounds for a steel and glass AV rack, check out this rack.

Picture of it with the Samsung 46" and all other equipment in place here - post #12.

It's from a local retailer here in Belfast - they have it listed as £1999 down to £1499 and until Sunday they're taking the VAT off!

Unfortunately that rack you've posted (looks excellent by the way!) would not fit my Yamaha A1 amp, Sky+, Pioneer DVD player, Pioneer DVD Recorder and B&W Centre Speaker (the centre is massive!) - but thanks for the advice.

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul.

Yes I was lucky. I just had to lower the centre shelf with a couple of extra drill holes and my speaker fitted in with about a couple of mm width to spare.

the_pauley said:
Yes I was lucky. I just had to lower the centre shelf with a couple of extra drill holes and my speaker fitted in with about a couple of mm width to spare.

Am totally confused now - looked at the brouchure for the 46" and it says Display Format 720p - should I not be looking for a 1080i capable telly?

Paul.

Well you won't find one for starters.

Just do a search on the High Definition threads for plenty of discussions on this very subject and reasons as to why 1080 capability shouldn't be too much of a concern in the UK for the forseeable future.

Paulleahey said:
It's from a local retailer here in Belfast - they have it listed as £1999 down to £1499 and until Sunday they're taking the VAT off!

Unfortunately that rack you've posted (looks excellent by the way!) would not fit my Yamaha A1 amp, Sky+, Pioneer DVD player, Pioneer DVD Recorder and B&W Centre Speaker (the centre is massive!) - but thanks for the advice.

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul.
hey paul im from lurgan just wondering where in belfast quoted u this price?? :smashin:

the_pauley said:
Well you won't find one for starters.

Just do a search on the High Definition threads for plenty of discussions on this very subject and reasons as to why 1080 capability shouldn't be too much of a concern in the UK for the forseeable future.

Thank you very much the_pauley - was in a bit of a rush so didn't have time to read everything - but made my decision and ordered it this afternoon - being delivered on Wednesday afternoon! Can't wait!!

inovermyhead - it was at S&R Electrics on the Holywood Road - it finished today but I dare say if you wanted one they could sort you out tomorrow - i'm going back tomorrow to pick up a Samsung HDMI DVD950 player tomorrow for £85 including HDMI cable!

Paul.

Eeek, i've got this set coming this afternoon as an insurance replacement for my trusty old workhorse, the Toshiba 46WH08B. Now i didn't have any say in the replacement as it's 'like-for-like' and this is the only 46" Toshiba RPTV on the market. And as the set has 'only' cost me £50 (the 'excess' on my policy), i guess i can't grumble too much. However, having just flicked through the numerous threads on this TV, my excitement has wained somewhat and now i'm rather worried about the prospect of being saddled with a 46" turd!

I've drawn some comfort from the two reviews it gets in WV&WTV & WHC. Both reviews briefly mention the problems that some users have found, but don't make a big issue out of them and both mags give the set very good ratings overall. Surely if the set was that bad, these trusty magazines would have made a bigger noise and not been so generous in their verdicts?

Incidentally, is the stand already assembled or should i get my toolbox out? :D

Jim,

I took delivery of my new tosh 46WM48 yesterday morning, @ 7 thanks Empiredirect.....

Anyway, I have been very impressed with the picture so far, and DVD's on my standard Panny DVD look excellent IMHO.

I am looking to buy a HDMI DVD player at the weekend, and will let you know how it is, but in my opionion, dont be worried about the set.

Cheers
Alan

Any chance you can beg borrow steal extra pennies for the Samsung 50 incher?? Had it for two weeks now, and is stunning in all areas - PS2/DVD on HD 950/Sky+/terrestrial. Provided you are around 15 ft away and fairly central the picture is amazing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom