Toshiba 46wm48 fault!!

sheep

Established Member
Reaction score
just had to ring toshiba as my tosh had a green led flashing every second looked up fault and it says turn tv off and contact them,have been told something is going wrong inside and i need a repacement tv gutted only had it 4 days anyone else had this problem i just turned it back on and led not there now???
sheep

sheep did you turn the set off and then immediately back on,if so dont panic its just the set shutting down safely.i found that the power button on the remote is EXTREMELY sensitive,the slightest draught turns off the set,and when i first got it the set was turned off a couple of times by accident.turning it back on too quickly resulted in the flashing green light,be patient with it and you shouldn;t see it again.

i dont think so?and the green light stayed flashing until i turned tv off?but hopefully thats all it as i love the set oh can you confirm if it supports progressive scan i bought a prog scan dvd player today enabled prog scan screen went funny then ok im assuming it was setting its self up??

I've got the Denon 2910 player linked to the Tosh DLP, and my screen looks a bit strange for a second or two whilst you change 480/720/1080 etc, its just the set adjusting. Although, i can't actually notice any difference between 480/720/1080 i've even paused the picture at exactly the same position, i know the different settings don't give a picture any more detail as such, but its supposed to smooth out the jaggies - but problem is, there are no jaggies on any picture on any DVD, even on the 480 setting there are no jaggies????? But when i demoed the set in store with my old Tosh DVD player (about 5 years old) it showed up jaggies big time on The Matrix!

I'm sometimes wonder whether the progressive scan is actually working from the TV or DVD player, or whether its indeed working at all - although it must be otherwise i would be seeing jaggies. Can anybody else see a difference????

If your DVD player is outputting prog scan, then it is already deinterlacing, and will be reducing jaggies itself.. the more it upsamples, i.e. to 720P/1080i, the more jaggies it removes.. also, the TV will smoothing them out as well, so between the two, it wouldn't surpirse me that at 480P there where no jaggies..

This is only a small part of the processing, There is more 'temporal' processing, (time related processing) then anything else, this improves a moving dynamic image, all this "3D motion compensation", looks at how things are moving between frames, and tries to 'smooth' these out..

These changes are sometimes hard to spot, pausing the DVD does not show much of the processing, its more the dynamic processing, as things are changing that makes a big effect..

Had some vertical colours for a split seconds, in the early days of getting my Tosh, but had it now for 4 weeks an no worries at all

maidstoneman

I already raised a question a while ago as to whether there was a way of telling which mode the set was displaying, but nobody answered.

I take it no one knows of a way still?

The only thing i have to go on, is the onscreen display of the 2910. Although, as i've just said, you never quite now whether its the DVD player doing the processing or the TV! I would have thought that one would have cancelled the other out? I've heard that if the TV senses a Progressive input, then the TV will let the player do the processing, however if the tv doesn't sense an input, then it will do the processing - but what if the players not outputting progressive, even though it says it is - might have a fault - so the TV takes over, your non the wiser as Dalespitfire points out!

What upscaling are you guys using then? 720p or 1080i I read within the manual - and i havn't heard anybody picking up on this yet - but the manual states that the HDMI input is designed for best performance with a 1080i signal.

So what setting are you scaling it to then guys?

just an update an engineer arrived today to confirm there was a potential problem with the set so a new one will be with me soon,still using this set and have played some 1080 clips......WOW!!!!!!and at least i wont have to bother to dust this one i suppose lol

Hi,
Just to add to this thread regarding problems. My Tosh had an intermittent sound problem where each second the sound switched on and off. Then the picture went.
The display was OK as it still showed what ext it was set to, from off the internal menu, but the programme itself didn't show on screen whether it was from Sky, analogue or DVD.
I switched it off and after a short delay, switched it back on and it was fine and has remained fine since. The only thing I had altered was that I had switched off the quick start option, so maybe that had upset it.
Thomas.

Last night I noticed the green LED flashing, I've only had the TV 6 weeks.

Couldn't even switch the TV off? so had to unplug it.

This morning everything seems OK.

Dont know if to ring the engineer or wait and see what happens.

Thanks

Geoff

Hey JimiH

Same thing happen to me. The engineer came round today, but there was nothing he could do as it wasnt flashing.

I had this problem a while ago - nothing would work on the remote at all either. When I checked at the back of the TV, the plug wasn't seated properly in the socket.

I also couldn't find any code for the particular number of flashes of the green LED in the manual.

I unplugged, let it cool, reseated plug securely and been fine since.

JimiH said:
Last night I noticed the green LED flashing, I've only had the TV 6 weeks.

Couldn't even switch the TV off? so had to unplug it.

This morning everything seems OK.

Dont know if to ring the engineer or wait and see what happens.

Thanks

Geoff

This Tv cannot be switched off from the remote or front panel as it remains on standby (red light lit) until the mains power is switched off. If the Tosh is in quick restart mode (read your manual), then the green light always flashes for about six minutes after the TV is turned off at the remote. During this 6 minutes you can switch the Tosh back on without waiting for the lamp to warn up ie instant picture.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

dalespitfire said:
I had this problem a while ago - nothing would work on the remote at all either. When I checked at the back of the TV, the plug wasn't seated properly in the socket.

I also couldn't find any code for the particular number of flashes of the green LED in the manual.

I unplugged, let it cool, reseated plug securely and been fine since.

Full details of LED indications are on Page 24!

splash39 said:
This Tv cannot be switched off from the remote or front panel as it remains on standby (red light lit) until the mains power is switched off. If the Tosh is in quick restart mode (read your manual), then the green light always flashes for about six minutes after the TV is turned off at the remote. During this 6 minutes you can switch the Tosh back on without waiting for the lamp to warn up ie instant picture.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I think you misunderstand me, the TV is on, ie Picture & Sound. The green light is flashing and I cant switch the TV off on the front panel or the remote.

Up to now this as only happened once, so fingers crossed!

Geoff

pantages said:
Full details of LED indications are on Page 24!

I know that :suicide:

As I said, I couldn't find details for the sequence of flashes I was seeing - i.e it wasn't listed under the list of codes in the manual. :hiya:

As I say, mine has also been fine since, so attributed it to a power supply problem.

Tosh 46" seems to be little bit unstable in general.
People are reporting various problems which happened once and then disappeared after power reset.
I also had several different symptoms and had replaced my set.

It is not solid product I am afraid.

In most instances it would seem that after the initial reset the set performs as it should and there really is no problem.

Ive had the central heating in my room on full, so I think it was the heat that caused the problem for me.

dont mess around get an engineer out they havent got a clue as the tv is so new so they will probably sign it off like mine i carried on using it until they delivered my second brand new tv but hey saves dusting it :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom