Toshiba 46TL963 - TV on but no picture

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by rascott70, Apr 28, 2016.

1. rascott70

rascott70
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi all -

This morning my Toshiba 46TL963 will not display a picture. There is power running to it (the green light is on). I have disconnected it from power for 10 secs and back on again but no joy.

I have a Yamaha AV amp connected via HDMI to the TV. I have a Humax PVR, a bluray player and an Xbox 360 connected via HDMI to the amp.

I have tried switching sources, no difference. I am getting sound via the amp & 5.1 speakers from each source but the picture is not coming up on screen - it's completely dead, as if it was switched off (apart from the green light).

I have swapped HDMI ports on the back of the telly but have not tried a new HDMI cable yet.

As I type this I'm thinking it could be the HDMI cable between amp and TV , and I will try a new one first. Any other thoughts/experiences?

If the TV is broken - I bought it in Aug 2012 so its obviously not under warranty. Where do we stand under other legislation like the Sale of Goods Act. How long are TVs expected to last these days? They used to go on for ever...

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    If a replacement HDMI lead cures your symptoms all well and good.
    If not, do you get the TV menu displayed if you use the menu button on the TV's own remote?
    If not that suggests the backlight is out, if that's the case try contacting wherever you bought it from.

3. rascott70

rascott70
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi JayCee

tried a different HDMI cable and nothing doing.

There is no menu displayed - so it sounds like the backlight is gone.

Any idea of typical repair costs? I think I got it via Groupon for £579 in Oct 2012 so I'm not sure how far I'll get with persuading the seller to fix it!

thanks

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Disconnect it from the power socket for an hour or so then try powering it on again.
    No idea on typical repair costs to be honest, it could be a faulty inverter (the circuit that generates the high voltage for the backlights) or the backlights themselves.
    I doubt you'll get far trying for a free repair via a Groupon dealer. Toshiba are one of the better companies in the UK for dealing with out-of-warranty faults on their products (at least they were a few years ago) so it may be worth your while contacting them, give them the model no, serial no (off the label on the rear) and date of purchase and asking them for advice.

5. rascott70

rascott70
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried removing power for an hour but that has made no difference. I will email Toshiba now and let you know what they advise. Thanks for your help so far

6. rascott70

rascott70
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, just wanted to update this thread

As the TV was out of warranty Toshiba pointed me at a local service centre. I took the TV down there at the weekend and they said they would contact me with a quote. Just spoke to the guy who said the screen had failed and that the only available replacement would cost £1000!! The TV cost me £580 3.5 years ago...

We had a chat over the phone about TVs these days - he said they were mostly junk and you'd get 3 years if you were lucky (unlike CRTs that went on for 20 years etc). He advised me to get my next telly from John Lewis as they are offering 5 year guarantees. I had a quick look and sure enough....

Buy Panasonic Viera 50CS520B LED HD 1080p Smart TV, 50" with Freetime, Freeview HD and Built-In Wi-Fi | John Lewis

So I'll probably just buy this and let JL take care of it if it fails within 5 years - of course it will last 5.5 years before expiring...

I also mentioned a mate of mine who has spent 2 grand on a curved screen 4K TV (don't know which one) - the service centre guy didn't think that would last much longer either.

Is this a commonly held view? TVs these days are disposable commodity items?

Interested in your views

Meanwhile I'm off to johnlews.com

thanks for all your help