1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOSHIBA 46 Debate Continues!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Widescreenx, May 19, 2005.

1. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :thumbsup: Just purchased the new toshiba 46 and have been very worried after what many other reviewers have said especially pictures from sky but to my suprise the pictures are actually very good in most cases I think that some people expect total perfection but I'd like to thoroughly recommend this television to those in doubt

2. electrosim2001

electrosim2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am still waiting for a complete fix for my Toshiba 46" DLP which had all the colours screwed. It came back with this fixed but with some solarisation problem that wasn't there beforehand. I think it's merely a fix in the service menu, and I'm waiting for an senior engineer from Toshiba to give it the once over.

Aside from this I have found the set very good for home cinema use. I find the rainbows, such as they were, are less of a problem as time goes on, and now rarely make an appearance. I presume that I must have adapted to viewing the set rather than the set having 'settled' down.

My real concern is over the pan blurring effect which seems to be a feature of this particular set ( presumably also the 52" model )

This happens on medium speed pan and tilts and where close-up faces move across the screen at a medium speed, so it is particularly apparent in Casualty and Holby ( luckily these aren't programmes I normally watch )
    This digital artifact seems to relate only to Toshiba DLP sets and maybe this is due to the fact that they use their own proprietary processing.

I read recently that these sets are soon to be replaced with the newer HD4 chip which will allow greater contrast. I find the contrast in the main perfectly acceptable except that on darkish scenes it tends to ( dark ) grey out rather than completely go black. This doesn't show when a scene is brighter and then there is a good black level. Maybe Toshiba will address the pan blurring on these new sets.

The set is very cinematic and wonderful on good DVDs, and should be superb on HDTV. I wouldn't choose the set for normal day to day viewing as like all rear projuection sets there is a limit to how far you can stray from a centre viewing position, either sideways or up and down. Also for an average size living room, when viewing standard TV fare where there are lots of close-ups
    which tend to be too close when blown up to 46" diagonally.

There is an alternative way of viewing general TV broadcasts on SKY TV which reduces the size on screen, and that's by setting the SKY menu to 4.3 letterbox.

Something, not always mentioned about the set is the great audio which is fine for general viewing and has a decent surround sound processing feature.
    One of the other good points is the large stand which holds a load of AV gear, and also finally there is the option to use low lamp power which is fine in all but the brightest ambient light settings, and extends lamp life.

My stand side-piece, which is hinged to get to the front AV inputs, quickly became un-hinged and now rests on Blu-Tack. It looks perfectly OK but it's
    very poor for a £1500+ set.

Thomas.

3. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  4. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thankfully I'm still happily married. :suicide:

5. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Ok, you got me, I've read the thread, very funny. :smashin:

7. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    thats shocking :eek: mine hs never done that and ive had mine 3 months now but 1 thing i would say if you are gonna watch tv prog through analouge i wouldnt touch it with a bardge pole you defin need to run a digital picture through it

8. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Read the thread the post belongs to, you've been had ;)

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Mrmoo, kourosh, elephantman, lion :hiya:

I have done some research on this picture and I found out that it originated from Currys training manual on how to tune a Display.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

10. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    After six months, then I must be too! :thumbsup:

11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

hello razor :hiya:
    thank god for that mr moo i got a bit worried then :rolleyes:

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Kourosh :hiya:

That picture gives me motion sickness, I dont know how but it does. :D

13. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

the only time my eyes see that is after a sat night out on the beer :zonked: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: