TOSHIBA 43UL2163DBC

examiga1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Im trying to get a PS5 (ha-ha I know like gold dust) anyway when/if I do for my sons room will it work good with this tv

TOSHIBA 43UL2163DBC​

Its got the HDR but are the HDMI ports 2.1???

I know its at the cheaper end of TVs but I can only get what I can afford all in one go for him also the size does fit where the TV will go
so thats a plus cannot really go any bigger unless muck about with different arms/swing type etc then more added cost.......

well Ive checked a few web sites and the specs do say 2.1 so Im going with that also price is good

Generally best to avoid Toshiba since they are Vestel models. Its also, like every other cheaper TV not HDR capable despite saying HDR on the box. You'll want to make sure the PS5 is set to out SDR only with this TV.

HDMI 2.1 and HDR are relevant features when you're looking at TVs that normally cost around 1000 and usually these TVs start at 48", or sometimes as big as 55".

On a limited budget the best option is the Hisense 55" U8Q, no HDMI 2.1 but it has proper HDR.

I would be surprised if that TV actually has 3 x HDMI 2.1 ports - TVs costing 5x that price often only have 2. Be very wary about relying on retailer spec tables (especially from the likes of Currys, Argos etc) as they are often wrong.

Toshiba's own page for that model doesn't mention any of the HDMI 2.1 gaming features (ALLM, VRR etc) and just lists 'HDMI : 3 HDMI' in the specs which doesn't sound too promising either, plus it's also probably a 50/60Hz panel at that price (so no 120Hz gaming), all of which means that you won't be benefitting from any of the PS5's advanced gaming features.

Further evidence that the HDMI ports on that TV are only 2.0 is that it only supports ARC - it would be usual for a TV with fully-featured HDMI 2.1 ports to offer eARC, as eARC is an HDMI 2.1 'feature'.

yes I know I was pushing it at that price trying to get all the extras at low price. The retailer spec tables you think they could get there act together as all that does is wind up customers and then have good returned as not whats advertised.

Well I’ve bought this now I was going to cancel but I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. He’s after a PS5 (gold dust I know) I`ve promised him as soon as I can get from normal shop (not eb## plus another £200 on top) also a new PS5 game. So whenever I can get it I will. It’s his birthday 2 days after Christmas so I’m under pressure to get him something. I cannot afford top rated 4k TVs with all bells and whistles PLUS his PS5 were talking £1500+ his current TV he’s been using for his PS4 is a 11/12 year old Toshiba, so even if this new Tosh` is not top flight it’s still miles better than what he has. So he will still see an improvement. So I’m going with this lower price TV and with his PS5 (when he gets it) should last until I maybe upgrade this TV in a couple of years or so.

It does not get any easier for parents it’s bad enough chasing around for this holy grail (PS5) then find out to get the TRUE best you need to fork out another £1000 (or thereabouts) on upgrading the damn telly.

The trouble with this TOSHIBA 43UL2163DBC it’s so new no reviews about it so cannot really see more info on what it’s got and how it performs. The info on all the shop sites that sell it do say the same stuff HDR and HDMI 2.1 so what is the poor old customer to think. I suppose the price is a big clue but hey what I read says this?

As the current chip shortages are forecast to last well into 2022, it's highly unlikely you're going to be able to buy a PS5 from a normal shop or website for some considerable time to come so I definitely wouldn't expect that to be before Christmas, where there will be even more demand than usual.

With that in mind, my advice would be to cancel your order and wait until you actually get hold of the console before buying a TV for it. If you are desperate to get one, then at least wait until Black Friday, when a better TV may fall into your price range.

You're right in that you don't necessarily need to spend thousands on a TV in this situation but, unfortunately, a PS5 coupled with that Toshiba TV won't be noticeably better than a PS4 with the TV he currently has. While 4K is a step up from 1080p, even that may not be obvious at his viewing distance and, while the TV may technically have HDR, HDR on a cheap TV can also actually give you a worse picture, hence Dodgexander's advice above that you'd need to turn HDR off on the PS5.

Ok youve convinced me. Ive even shown this to my lad so hes well aware......I will not except TV when it arrives (bought from Currys) the chat lady said it was to late to cancel her end and dont take delivery. So is there a telly that might fit the bill for around £500 or is that a no, no. He might just have to wait get the PS5 (when it comes) then maybe next year then get the telly and spread the cost over Christmas and his birthday so get a better telly. Many thanks

Ok youve convinced me. Ive even shown this to my lad so hes well aware......I will not except TV when it arrives (bought from Currys) the chat lady said it was to late to cancel her end and dont take delivery. So is there a telly that might fit the bill for around £500 or is that a no, no. He might just have to wait get the PS5 (when it comes) then maybe next year then get the telly and spread the cost over Christmas and his birthday so get a better telly. Many thanks
I got a ps5 no problem earlier in the year I'd advise you to use one of the apps that inform you of stock, you can get them but its just a case of knowing when and where they're going to drop. Good luck.

There are no TVs at that price range that are really suited to HDR gaming on the PS5, which is part of what next gen gaming is all about.

But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy SDR gaming still, and for that a cheaper TV will be fine.

Deals are around the corner, and you should definitely be able to get something better quality than the Toshiba between Black Friday and Christmas sales.

If you want a TV using a VA panel an entry level Samsung, Hisense or TCL will be fine, and a big improvement. You don't want to be spending near to 500 though, keep the budget closer to 300. 500 is not going to buy you something conceivably better than the right deal at 300.

If you prefer IPS then LG is the way to go at 43". Again, don't be tempted into thinking the more expensive LGs have better picture quality.

The only difference between a 300 TV and a 500 one will be in features and connectivity.

I got a ps5 no problem earlier in the year I'd advise you to use one of the apps that inform you of stock, you can get them but its just a case of knowing when and where they're going to drop. Good luck.
yes I`ve got the email alert all set but still a long shot. I keep checking daily....all good fun

There are no TVs at that price range that are really suited to HDR gaming on the PS5, which is part of what next gen gaming is all about.

But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy SDR gaming still, and for that a cheaper TV will be fine.

Deals are around the corner, and you should definitely be able to get something better quality than the Toshiba between Black Friday and Christmas sales.

If you want a TV using a VA panel an entry level Samsung, Hisense or TCL will be fine, and a big improvement. You don't want to be spending near to 500 though, keep the budget closer to 300. 500 is not going to buy you something conceivably better than the right deal at 300.

If you prefer IPS then LG is the way to go at 43". Again, don't be tempted into thinking the more expensive LGs have better picture quality.

The only difference between a 300 TV and a 500 one will be in features and connectivity.
Ok many thanks I will see whats going and look again

As a matter of interest the TV I’m replacing is one from bought in Dec 2010 it’s a Toshiba 32" LCD TV 32KV500. This new Tosh` is still being delivered this Tuesday a TOSHIBA 43UL2163DBC. and the price for a new TV with all the bells and whistles for a PS5 is mind-blowing just for a kid’s room never mind the price for the PS5 its self with 2 or 3 games its getting near two grand!

I`m sure I have an Amiga A1200 in the loft he can have that plugged into the RF lead on his old Tosh! Job done ;-)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom