1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 43" RPtv problems.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Sprout Crumble, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all.

Bought a 43VJ13 this morning from Currys, got it home, set it up and tried a few DVD's and Cable channels on it. Very impressed.

I turned it off, went to do something for 20 minutes, came back turned it on and got nothing.

Upon turning the set on, the red power light comes on and it goes into standby and won't come out of it. I've tried removing all the external equipment from their connections but the same applies. It won't even show a blue screen. Turning the set off shows a momentary reddish flicker in the screen centre before the screen goes blank but this looks pretty normal.

Batteries in the remote are brand new and have been changed just to make sure, and the tv's panel lock is off, yet the sets buttons do nothing either. No scarts have been removed while the set is on and no auto-tuning was performed as no aerial is plugged in.

Does anybody have any suggestions ??

2. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The same thing happened to be just over a week of owning my first set (42WH18B) - no matter what I did, nothing seemed to be projecting onto the screen and only the sound was working.
    Like you, I also posted on this forum to see if anyone could help but I ended up sending the TV back and got it replaced. I#ve had this new set for over 2 weeks now with no problems at all. Lets just hope that the problem doesn't happen again.

BTW. Did you leave the TV on 'Standby' when this happened? Now whenever I switch off my TV, I do it via the on/off button on the TV, not by standby. Anyway when it happened me and when I knew that there was nothing I could do, I was petrified. I hope it all works out for you.

3. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I turned it on this morning and it worked first time :confused:

The picture and sound have always been fine when its started but I had trouble getting it to start up.

I'm still having intermittent problems with the remote and the front panel buttons so it looks like a problem with the control circuitry.

I phoned Currys Masterplan at 9.30 this morning and they're sending someone around today. Excellent response.

Tele is fantastic though, Fifth Element looks simply stunning and Dreamcast games take on a whole new level. House of the Dead 2 with the gun never played so well...:D

4. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yep, DVD movies (The Gladiator and The Mummy Returns also look superb) and video games do look exceptional on the Toshiba RP TV's. I'm currently playing Rogue Leader on the GC and Metal Gear Solid 2 on my PS2 and its very cinematic, especially with a 5.1 home cinema set-up.

PS. I thought that 'light-gun' games aren't compatible with RP TV's?

Anyway, hope they fix your TV ASAP.

5. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

DC lightgun works perfect..:)

Just remembered that lightguns won't work if your tv is set to 100hz which I believe yours can do.

Bloke from Currys came round just 2 hours after calling them and recommended the set be replaced as its only a day old. He said he had only came across this problem once before and it seems to be a memory problem. Currently working fine so I'll just wait for a replacement.

6. squarris

squarris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I know its been a while since this thread was last added to but I am getting exactly the same problem with my tosh rptv 42wt29b... i've posted a forum but i've had no response unfortunately... any info would be fantastic.

Basically to get my tv to work, i have to keep turning it on and off until a picture is displayed. this sometimes takes upto 1hr - the tv is out of warranty so i will have to pay to get it fixed...

i live in south east london - does anyone know of any reliable toshiba service engineers who i could make use of??

many thanks.

7. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Alright mate.

Problem with the tv was the teletext board. Can either be removed or replaced. Removal was £100. Replacement an extra £80.
    I live in Thurrock so not a million miles away and the set was repaired by Gem TV on 0208 555 4422

8. squarris

squarris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks loads for your reply. Its funny but I remember a bunch of messages on this very forum about the teletext board when i bought the box !!

My tv sometimes doesn't come on, sometimes comes on with the source "EXT1" but no picture, sometimes come on but the rgb guns are miles out and still no picture (the EXT1 symbol is distorted) and sometimes the picture loses sync and flies about all over the place..

Is this the same as you?

Thanks
    Paul

9. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Think so. Can't remember now as its been a while. Set is still going super-strong and giving a fabulous picture

10. philw1ll1am

philw1ll1am

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the teletext card the problem?
    I am having similar problems now. Switch on and only the red stand-by light on.