1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WT29B - DVB and normal terrestrial tuning

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by fisha, May 28, 2003.

1. fisha

fisha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks - really new to this forum, so go easy please :blush:

I've been looking round at getting a rear pro TV and i'm 90% decided on getting the Toshiba 42WT29B - the 100Hz one with DVB

I'm really wanting it for the 100Hz part and not so much the DVB part because in my area, we dont get the digital signal. Its still just the plain analogue signal or Sky.

Now, can the Tosh 42WT29B still tune into the old plain analogue signals like the normal telly I currently have? I haven't really seen any info that clearly defines this for the tosh

Many thanks,

Donald

2. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

3. fisha

fisha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok - great,

i'm now 99% decided

other 1% is down to convincing the wife!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Definitely!....I have the 50" model and weather etc permitting have no problems with either analogue,digital or any other sources with this TV.

Hope you enjoy it....the picture quality is excellent,but does require a fair bit of adjusting of colour balance,contrast and digital sharpening to give a picture which isn't way too bright in a home setting....the defaults are set to look good in the shop window.

Also remember to set the convergence periodically....very easy if you don't resort to the service level adjustements,which will invalidate your warranty anyway.

I'm quite sure another Tosh RPTV fan by the name of nathan will give you a much more involved rundown,but the gist of it is just the same.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. fisha

fisha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys

how do find the rear projectors are size wise in an average living room? Do you find they dominate the room, do you notice them as a great big blank space when they are switched off?

nathan, that picture looks very good - did you just take a snapshot from a camera for that?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paused a DVD, used a digital camera to take a photo- room was dark so the camera picked up the contrast well.

In fact picture is now even better since I've taken it- I've tweaked the screen pots & lens adjustment. Also the dots aren't on the screen, and there's alot more detail to the image.

8. fisha

fisha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i spent an hour in a Comet superstore yesterday looking at all the TVs on display. There was the 42" Tosh 50 and 100Hz efforts, a couple of Sony's and a couple of Thomsons.

I spent a good while setiing up the convergence on the Tosh ones and Sony ones as best i could and also the display balances so they were back down to normal levels.

without doubt the 100Hz Tosh was the winner - close up, it was sharp - no flicker etc etc further away upto about 5m, its was bright, could be viewed well from wider angles than the others.

from about 15m away ( This Comet was big open shop where the projections are raised above the rest ) , the brightness and clarity blew the rest out the water.

On the point about tuning - comet had analogue and DVB hooked up into all the TVs so it was really good to try out both.

so i'm decided - i was really impressed - its going to be the 100Hz Tosh.

One interesting point i noticed, i had the 50Hz and 100Hz tosh close to each other and had them set on the same picture format, brightness / contrast levels and even still, the 50hz one seemed noticably dimmer.

Perhaps its cause the 100Hz does twice as many scans and so throws twice as much light. That being said, the 50Hz still had a cracking picture once convergence was done.

I was amazed at how bad the shop had let the convergence go out - On one of the really large sony's the red was nearly 2" away from the other 2 beams.

Anyways - i'm now off to look for the best deal about - i'll probably be back asking more questions.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't want a Sony TV...IMO badly made units (Sony PC monitors are great, but Sony TV's are pretty bad)

I've wrote a few threads regarding the Tosh.. do a search for "Tosh" "42PW23P" and "nathan_silly"

Just noticed the 50" Tosh has just gone up... pity.

I could have gone for the 100hz model, but it's a few hundred quid more.

10. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I took delivery of the 42WT29B direct from Toshiba last Friday..as a result of a claim under my extended warranty, I got a nice new 42" Rear Pro to replace my 32" Tosh CRT for a great price, and can say I am extremely pleased with it, after spending about 10 mins with a THX optimizer disc the picture is far superior to what it looked like out of the box. Picture is ever so slightly softer than that of my old 32" Toshiba, but with time I will get used to it. Big test tonight when watching the football via Sky if the 100Hz processing is as good as my old set..which was fantastic.

11. Beermonster

Beermonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new here and to this home cinema lark...

I get my Tosh 42WT29B on Monday 19th April... Hope it's as good as you all say... Be warned though, I will probably do someones head in askin questions :rolleyes: . So be warned:blush: so any tips or the like would be welcome now.
    Roll on Monday :thumbsup: :clap: :beer:

And i'll start with my first question..
    What is convergence?:blush: