1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WP46B V Tiny Focus 4200 or other alternatives. Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mickey123, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone :)

I have had my eye on the Toshiba 42WP46 for some time
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/TOS-42WP46B.htm

I am very close to buying but seems as it is new to the market reviews seem scarce to say the least.
    Basically- Is it worth £1,700???? I have seen one working and liked it a lot but would love to hear other people’s views.

Is the Tiny Focus 4200 just as good but cheaper? Seems great on paper. What’s the catch??
    http://homecinema.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=12055

Is there anything better than the Tosh at this price?

Please keep in mind I cannot go over £1750.

Many thanks for reading this far. :cool:

Mickey

2. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mornin' Mickey,

Can't help you but I'm in the same kind of predicament you are with the same kind of budget.

I can only tell you not to buy the Tiny screen as from what I've read here it isn't worth the cash ( I nearly bought one at the weekend as Monsters Inc. looked great in the shop but waited and read a review somewhere here that confirmed it was too good to be true).

I'm still confused though is it better to go for a cheap plasma or a good CRT? Also what about the promise of HDTV, will a plasma bought today be future proof?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you guys can supply, I know you must get sick of noobies asking for help.

Cheers

Dic

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I wouldn't touch a Tiny with your bargepole !

You get what you pay for. If price is a challenge, go for a Panasonic.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The tiny is not worthy of a capital letter. The PWD6 is such value at the moment, it's hard to suggest anything else in the price range. 10 000 members can't be wrong surely?

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The pannys from av-sales.com are awsome for picture quality. Nothing can touch them it is only second to the HD panasonics and the pioneers which are double the price.

6. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

Been to currys and saw a Techwood 42" plasma.

I know this isn't the trendiest of makes but to someone new to all this like me, well I couldn't tell a difference between the two execpt for the price been a good 500 quid cheaper!!!!!

I'm now wondering is the Tiny that uses the same Samsung screen just as good.

Honestly, I looked at the Techwood with a panasonic selling for 3k standing next to it and if you took the badges off the front I wouldn't be able to tell. :eek:

I can honestly say in my view the panasonic next to it was far from 2 grand better!!!

Dont want to put anyones nose out of joint as it were, but the only thing putting me off the Techwoods and Tiny's is how long will they last? :rolleyes:

I know the stats on paper will be better for Panasonic's etc but who cares if they look the same when your watching them???

Anyone got a Tiny or Techwood?

Mickey

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well if you feed them both a crap RF signal they will both look equally crap. I hope you won't be doing that at home, you will be listening to all the nice people here, the society for the prevention of cruelty to plasmas.

8. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    MAW,

Thanks for your help and reply. :thumbsup:

I think what I was trying to say was, I was happy with the picture I saw on the Techwood in curry's. I saw sky 1 not just finding Nemo to :laugh:

Im far from saying that its the best in the world but Id rather have that than pay a third of the price again for the Panasonic by the time you've added scart inputs and tuners etc etc.

Im interested in hearing your views or others open mindedly as ever. Im just making my constructive Newbie point based on no experience except what I saw

Mickey

9. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    As MAW says, comparing pictures on these sets at a place like Currys is a waste of time. The terrible, poorly distributed RF signal they use in most stores is a joke. Try and find a decent dealer with a PW6 hooked up properly to decent equipment. Failing that, read as many good quality reviews as you can.

Forget about the price that the High Street Highway Robbers are asking. £3000 buys you a brand new PHD7 hi-def panny from several good sources. The PW6 is well within you purchase budget, at around half of the above price.

10. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Que? A third of the price again? The scart board is INCLUDED in the price from most dealers. And if you have Sky or Freeview, what do you need a tuner for? That just leaves sound. Most members use their surround system for this, but you could add a pair of simple matching speakers for this if necessary. They can be wired straight into speaker outputs on the plasma itself.

11. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ive got to be honest with so many people reccomending the panasonic Its making me think hard. :rolleyes:

Richer sounds have the panasonic in for 1500 but then its 150 for the scart.

Is it really worth the extra £500 :confused:

Why does everyone love this Plasma so much??

Thanks

Mickey

12. king_canute

king_canute

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tiny 4200 spec advertises that they use only the latest Samsung panels, with 3000:1 contrast & 1000 nits brightness. Doesn't this suggest that the rather dismissive assertions in this thread about Tiny may not be as true as some might wish to believe? Has anyone actually got experience with this panel, and compared it with a Samsung (OK, they're not the best I acknowledge) and other makes, or is everyone just assuming that they can't be any good? I'd certainly like to hear from someone who's bought one.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I bought a PC from them once. Never again thank you.

14. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You still have to question whether the rest of the electronics are up to the job. You still have to deal with Tiny. What is the aftersales like? Screen needs repair?

When the price difference between the Tiny and a genuine Samsung is so small, why bother with the Tiny, get a genuine Samsung. Or LG. Or Toshiba. Or Panasonic.

15. king_canute

king_canute

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, good point - I guess they may get the glass from Samsung but they've most probably done their own, pared down electronics. Rats, I'll have to cancel my order! (like so many others I didn't find this forum until it was too late). Many thanks for the sage advice. Sadly, AV-Sales are out of pannys at the moment but I'll look around.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My local BBC radio station (Cambridgeshire, which runs a morning consumer programme) once said that they get more complaints about Tiny than all the other computer companies put together, allegedly.

There are two consumer rules that are worth remembering :

1. You only get what you pay for.
    2. Things are always cheaper when they are out of stock.

18. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you like currys then at least consider the LG 42rzpx11 as well. much better than the techwood, includes all the connections already inc DVI/component/scart/svid and they will match their own web price of ~£1500 very easily so only a few hundred more than the techwood!
    picture is of course not as good as the PW6, but is is still very good asp via component or dvi. you get what you pay for....pleeease don't get the Tiny, you will regret it.

MJI

19. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not getting Tiny mate, :)

Getting PWD6. You lot have converted me:) :thumbsup:

Got the very last one from AV sales.

Thanks for all your help

Mickey

20. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    : Shoots Mickey : ;)

Damn you and the 30 or so others :)

I was going for that deal but I fannied about too long and they sold out. Now looking @ Panasonic TH-42PW7B Vierra, is that just as good anyone?

Also I may have (a little) budget left after buying and would love to get the best pic from my DVD JVC XV-E111SL, can anyone give me any advice on what extra Board/connectors/convertors to buy?

I'm slowly learning about this stuff but it's way more complex than I first thought.