1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WP27B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gileso, Jan 30, 2003.

1. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delivered from RS this morning. Finally stopped playing with it to post this.

Fantastic image straight out of the box (thought you had to fiddle with these things?). Even the wife is impressed.

NTL on composite is adequate (waiting for JS RGB>YUV box), but DVD on component is unbelievably good. Good strong colours, great contrast etc.

In fact DVD output is so good that I'm a bit confused. Player is Lecson 1000 (yes, I know!). Progressive scan picture looked awful, so I hooked up the component sockets:
    DVD > Terminal board
    Y > Pr/Cr/R
    Cb > Pb/Cb/B
    Video/Cr > Y/G
    (I believe the Lecson sockets are marked up wrongly!). But thats not the confusing bit!
    The DVD is set to output RGB, the plasma is set to RGB (not component as I thought it would have to be), and the sync is set to H&V - but nothing is connected to either of these terminals.

The picture is superb - why is it working like this? As far as I can make out, there's no sync signal, but its working.

Does this mean I should just junk the JS box when it arrives, and just use a scart>RGB phono lead for the NTL output?

2. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my Tosh 42wp27 on Monday from Unbeatable.co.uk and am every bit as pleased with it as you are.

I think you will find that you are not using Component RGB, but Component Video. You say the plasma is set to RGB but this is the same 'input' setting as the Component Video. In fact I think it displays on the screen "Component/RGB". The sync signal setting will be irrelevant if you are using Component Video. Looking at your DVD port names it appears to be Component Video out. It doesn't mention R G or B on the output sockets.

As for the RGB->YUV converter, I think you might have purchased the wrong item. If you are indeed connecting your DVD to the plasma via a Component Video connection then you will not have the ability to connect the NTL box the same way (as the plasma comes only with one set of RGB and YUV connectors). The RGB->Plasma converter allows you to connect your NTL box to the PC-in socket (VGA), therefore giving you RGB connectivity.

This is how mine is set up (albeit for Sky Digital):

DVD -> Terminal Board Component Video
    Sky SCART (RGB) -> PC-in (VGA)

3. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a misunderstanding has arisen thanks to me omitting a couple of things:
    1. Will be using amp to switch component signals from NTL box and DVD (so can put both on single plasma input).
    2. Switching input mode from RGB to component on plasma results in vivid red image (so it is reading RGB, not component)
    3. Switching DVD to YUV output results in 'no signal' on plasma

So - I think its reading an RGB signal on the 3 terminals with no sync signal. Is this possible?

If so, then I won't need the RGB>YUC convertor - I'll just use an SCART>rgb phono lead...

EDIT: that'll be YUV.....d'oh!