Toshiba 42WP16 Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Norman, May 7, 2002.

1. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Well, I've finally done it and purchased a Toshiba 42WP16 Plasma. Given that its a clone of the Panny and it only cost me just over £3K, I don't think I could have done any better today.
    Questions, with an S-Video feed from my Sky+ box, there appears to be a very slight flicker on the picture. Its like a 50Hz flicker, although not as bad. Is this normal? (I've ordered the J.S Technology RGB-VGA box, so maybe this will help).
    Another question, in the manual they make a big point of saying not to view 4:3 material for extended periods of time to avoid screen burn. What is their definition of "Extended Period". Will viewing too many 2.35:1 letterboxed DVD's cause horizontal screen burn?
    And finally, the manual says that the display uses 1.8W of power in standby mode and 1.8W of power when off. A printing mistake?

2. turnergw

turnergw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations on the purchase - I'm still sitting on the sidelines at the moment, but hope to be in the plasma owners club soon ...

There's much talk about screen burn on the US version of this site - the general opinion seems to be that if you watch 4:3 or 2.35:1 ratio material, you should use some 1.85:1 afterwards to 'clean' the screen - or use a white screen / screen saver for a few minutes, if the set has that capability. This is one of the issues I'm worried about with plasmas in general, do let the boards know how you get on with it!

Meantime, where did you get your screen? Sounds like a good price!

3. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    norman,

we are waitng :D

dvd :)

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Sorry, my mistake with the price.
    I can buy this product through PC distribution (I own an I.T company) and my price is also + VAT.

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    sorry norman,

i meant what do you think of the tosh plasma, now you can test drive it at home!!

dvd

6. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    I haven't even had a chance to set it up yet, but I'll let you know next week.