1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WP16 42" Plasma owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Kirk, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has one of these beauties and if so, where did you buy it from?

I know plenty of online places to get one, but not any I have ever used before, the best price I have seen is at:

www.ivojo.co.uk

but I havent heard of them before.......

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got mine from The Media Factory (www.tmfsolutions.co.uk)

I was going to get the Panasonic version from Techtronics but they messed me about over the wall bracket order and another previous order so I decided to go elsewhere for the screen.

I was very happy with the Media Factory's service - very helpful and they delivered when they said they would.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I got mine from my local dealer... Audio Excellence in Chester and the service was excellent. £3800 for the screen and table top stand including a year of interest free credit. Suited me down to the ground.

Hope this helps
    Andrew

PS Ivojo are well respected, so if you have the cash, I wouldn't worry about buying from them.

5. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try speakin to Joe at the Media Factory, he is first class when it comes to answering any queries you might have.
    I've ordered the Panasonic 42" panel from them and its getting delivered in the morning.

6. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info chaps. I must admit the Tosh or Panny from TMF is looking interesting.

Are any of you guys up for giving me a little mini review of your Tosh?

Whats it like for day to day use? Do you watch Sky through via the RGB-VGA converter etc?

I am really envious of you lot.......kirky wanna play soon!:D

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have DVD & PS2 connected to the composite input - when John Sim releases his RGB to component converter (which is on the way) I will use this to connect my DVD player to the component inputs.

Even with the Composite input I am very impressed with DVD quality - almost as good as my previous 100Hz Sony Wega. PS2 is a bit dissapointing - quite blurry, but once I have the RBG to component I will use the S-Video input for this and hopefully get a better picture. The blurryness I get with PS2 could just be down to the lengths of cables I have - I have long cables installed in the walls so I could get my plasma wall mounted and get the "picture frame" look.

I have a PC connected to the VGA input (primarily as an MP3 Jukebox) and the picture quality is fantastic in 640x480 or 800x600, in 1024x768 it starts to lose a little clarity - but still perfectly useable.

I don't watch TV or have Sky or anything so can't comment on that.

I have nothing bad to say about the Tosh apart from it kicks out a fair bit of heat, but I suspect this is no different to any other plasma.

I followed the advice given out here previously - turn down brightness/contrast from the factory settings and be aware of possible burn-in - I just make sure no static images are left on it for too long - no problems so far.

Attached Files:

8. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Panasonic 42" panel arrived today from the Media Factory.
    Hooked up my DVD player with the S-VIDEO connection and was blown away by the picture quality.
    I can't wait till my component leads arrive to see what improvement that makes.
    Any tips on setting up the colour,contrast,sharpness and brightness would be helpful.

9. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used the THX video tests (on the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD) to set up my screen. As I said I am currently only using composite and my settings are as follows:

Contrast -15
    Brightness 5
    Colour 0
    Sharpness 0
    White Balance Normal
    (No Advance Settings changed)

Obviously your setup is going to depend on personal preferences and your room environment.

In the past I have used The Matrix as one of my test DVD's to get blacks right, and something like Gladiator for the warmer tones, but if you can get a test DVD that's your best bet.

10. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the tips I'll give my T2 disc a spin and see what I come up with I've also got a test DVD given away with Total DVD a while back so I'll give that a try as well.

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    don't buy it!