1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WH46P first impressions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SpikeyUK, Jul 29, 2005.

1. SpikeyUK

SpikeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent a long time in Comet, over several weeks looking at various TVs, ranging from 32" CRT, 26" + 32" LCD and 42" Plasma, I happened to walk past the rear projection section. I have always dismissed rear projection TVs for being dated and low quality hence my surprise at the quality of the Toshiba 42WH46P set.

It was sat next to a Samsung and an LG set of similar specifications and price, however to me the picture was much higher quality than either of the other two, and as for the sound, it is simply superb. Being on a limited budget I decided that I would settle for the good quality Toshiba, whilst not being plasma quality, for the money I couldn't complain.

I ordered and took delivery on Tuesday and quickly set it all up with my surround sound system. I purchased two Profigold PGV7000 hi-def scart leads, one for my DVD and one for my Matsui freeview box. I set both boxes to output RGB through the scart and hooked up the leads....

UNBELIEVABLE! I cannot get over how good this set is. I am not sure whether I have been very lucky with my set (having read some of the reviews) but I must say that it is better than all but the most expensive plasmas I have seen (The Panasonic Viera series in particular). The picture is clear, well defined and the colours and contrast blow plasmas out of the water. I spent some time performing the manual convergence and I do not have any ghosting or halos around contrasted edges or any kind of picture noise.

I know some people will be reading this saying 'Yeah right, as good as a plasma, pah!', but believe me I was saying that very thing before I took delivery, but I can honestly say, hand-on-heart, that this set is simply amazing, and for £749 it is even better.

If I were to buy another TV again, it would boil down to either the Panasonic 42" Viera plasma, or this Toshiba, and when you consider one can cost around £2.5k and the other is £749 it is a bit of a no-brainer.

2. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Glad you're happy with your purchase. I had a 56" Toshiba CRT RPTV for 3 years and loved it to bits. Definitely better than most plasmas I've seen.

Make sure you turn the contrast and brightness down. The factory presets are invariably excessive and will wear out the tubes prematurely.

3. SpikeyUK

SpikeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip!

Did you ever replace the bulbs? If so where do you get them from and at what cost?

4. SpikeyUK

SpikeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DOH! Just read up a bit more and realise that these use CRTs rather than bulbs! Ignore my last post! :oops:

Anyone any ideas on the life of the tubes and the best brightness / contrast settings for a decent picture but extended life?

Thanks.

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Manufacturers generally quote a life of 10,000 hours for tubes. That doesn't mean they'll suddenly stop working at that time, they just won't be as bright as time goes by. 3 hours of use every single day equates to 1095 hours a year, so tube replacement is not really something you need to worry about. And the tubes will cost more than what you paid for the TV!

As a very rough rule, I'd try to keep contrast and brightness under half way. That should be more than bright enough. If not, you could increase the contrast but I wouldn't go past 2/3's of maximum. My Tosh had settings of 55 (out of 100) for contrast, 35 for brightness after calibration with a test disc. Your set will be different but that's probably not a bad starting point for experimenting. I don't know if the Toshibas still have 3 presets: bright, medium, dim. Avoid the brightest preset which is contrast = 100!

6. SpikeyUK

SpikeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the info. Mine does indeed have the three presets and strangely enough, I found the dim one to be closest to what I wanted. I used it as a starting point and now have contrast and brightness of 45 which seems to work in my lounge.

7. cockney

cockney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I got my rear projection last Friday & just set it up on PAL using normal scarts, would i be be better using different scarts on RGB ?

Bit of a numpty when it comes to connectivity :rolleyes:

Steve

8. SpikeyUK

SpikeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend getting some decent quality scart leads and setting RGB. I bought two Profigold PGV7000 cables for around £25 each. I wouldn't recommend spending any more than this as you won't notice much difference for your money.

With these scarts compared to my cheapo ones and with everything in RGB I noticed an amazing improvement in picture and sound quality. The colours are deeper and richer and the contrast is very good as well as having pin sharp detail. The sound is clearer and more defined. The biggest difference was switching to RGB so even if you don't get really decent cables I would certainly try that!

Cheers.

9. cockney

cockney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers Spikey,

Will definately do that when i get home from work tonight but must say that i went from a 32" Philips w/s to the projection & was worried that the quality would be poor but even on cheapo scarts & PAL the quality is very good !

Steve

10. SpikeyUK

SpikeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too was very surprised how good everything looked when I had cheap scarts and non-RGB settings and wasn't sure whether to buy the better leads, but I am glad I did.

Glad you are pleased with it. :thumbsup: