1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WH46 - Some Advice Needed PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by EmissarY, Dec 15, 2004.

1. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya All Toshiba 42WH46 owners or otherwise,

I am doing a but of research for a friend to try and ascertain the capabilities of this tv.

Basically my m8 went and bought this tv from Currys and when he got it home he found he had to tweak it a lot. I came over to inspect it andfirst thing I did was to look in the manual to see what connections it had.

Now from what I gathered it had 3 Scarts (2 RGB) at the back and a VGA type connection also. Can someone tell me what this VGA connection is for. AND does this 100Hz TV do Progressive Scan? I have recommended him to get a Toshiba 340e dvd player as he wants it all to match, so before I tell him to buy an RGB scart lead, I wanted to know if this TV does progressive. I have done a search on the forums but nothing concrete reveals itself.

Also is it worth going into the service menu to tweak the picture on these or is there a safer way to do it?

What does my head in is the fact that this tv is 100Hz, but what is the advantage of having this feature?

Please help someone as I would really like to help out my friend get the best from his set as he does, like myself, really know that much about rear projection tv, and it would be great to introduce him to a piece of the great home cinema tapestry. Hell if I can get him a fantastic picture from this tv he might even be persuaded to get a 5.1 setup also... :devil:

Cheers,

EmissarY.

:beer:

2. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone.....????

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42WH46 does NOT do progressive. It only has basic 100Hz scanning.

RGB SCART is the best way to achieve good pictures on these since they don't have component in, so get this anyways, regardless of progressive support.

The 100Hz feature is to elinimate screen flicker. You either like it or you don't. On the WH46 it is just a 'repaint the frame' solution, there's no motion estimation or any other trickery like on the WH36 series.

The service menu is especially helpful to properly converge the set, although be warned - you can completely screw your set when in the service menu and you can mess up the convergence completely if you aren't careful. There is a thread dedicated to this subject on this forum, which also looks at how to improve the focus as well. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97056

Hope this helps...