Toshiba 42WH46 red woes.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by minibigs, Sep 13, 2004.

1. minibigs

minibigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my 42Wh46 since 01/09/04.

I got it online from TV & Video Direct for £777 plus £59 delivery, which I thought was a bargin, but now I aint so sure.

When they delivered it, the courier co. left the TV on my driveway on a pallet (they were not insured to bring it into my house). So no help with setup, etc.

Being a newbie to RPTVs, I first adjusted the convergence from the onscreen menu (which seems to go out again about once a week) then turned everything down at least 1/2 way from the max. settings it was on for colour,etc.

This left me with a quite reasonable picture, watchable on Sky or DVD (quality seems the same on both,that shows the picture quality level) , but not fantastic.

Basically, if I set it up to view programs filmed inside, or at night ,etc, then any outside programs, e.g. football, are far too bright & shiny. If I set it up to watch footy, any programs filmed inside are impossible to watch, as its far too dark.

I tweak & I tweak , but still can't get it right.

In a way I am glad that its developed a fault... largish faint red blobs to the bottom left & right of the screen, visible over light (especially green) shots.

At least I might get rid of the bloody thing, or get someone to set it up properly!

I'm going to ring them tommorow & hope that they tell me to go to Toshiba directly, as I've read the horror stories about other engineers working on them.

Out of interest, can anyone hazard a guess as to the problem, or is it just a Toshiba thing?

Cheers,

Steve.

2. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same thing on my Thomson 40KW613, aprt from mine was red in one corner and green in the other, you have to get an engineer,(one that has worked on RPTV's before)
    and make him do electronical and mechanical focus on the red and blue tubes.

Normally they will try to tell you that they won't do that and that's the best picture you can get because it's a **** job to get that focus 100%, haven't met an engineer yet who likes to do that.

Once it's done adjust the convergence in the service menu, with the maximum grid points available and your picture should be way improved, at least after the focussing your red patch should be gone.

With the convergence once you adjusted it let it bed in for at least two hours, and don't worry when it's out again after you switch the TV off over night, it will be corrected after the tubes get to their usual working temperature.

I have to say my PQ on DVD is wayyyy superior to sky, so you must have room for improvement there.

3. minibigs

minibigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, hope they can get it sorted.

However , its now developed (or maybe we are just noticing it for the first time) a vertical line down the screen, just slightly to the right of centre, most noticable on Sky footer.

Also the trim has peeled away from the chipboard on the rear of the set.

I rang TV & Video Direct this morning & was told someone from the "service centre" would ring me back... no one did of course, so stat agian tommorow.

Cheers,

Steve.