1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42wh46 issues

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by FlyingBig, Jul 10, 2004.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Love this rear projection set but have stumbled across a few issues. Most annoying of all is the faint dirty line (sort of a white discolouration) that runs vertically down the middle of the screen and has been evident with another Toshiba 36 inch CRT television i purchased a few months ago and promptly returned so i am disappointed to see the dirty line has appeared again. Is this normal with every toshiba tv set? It is really evident while watching football.
    Second of all is apparent while watching football as well as while this set displays a rich green colour for the pitch the right hand side of the screen has a brown/red tint to it. I have tried to play with the convergence but to no avail.
    Luckily i have a green stain in the bottom right hand side that won't go away so this is enough for me to return the set but now i have the problem of choosing another set and i don't have a clue which to choose. Its a shame because if i could solve this dirty line then this Tv would be a dream. Can anyone explain this dirty line to me and why it is there at all?

2. skytel888

skytel888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a stain on bottom left which is yellow/green tv being changed tuesday
    i haven't noticed the centre line though

3. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the colour stains are produced when the RPTVs are not properly
    electronically/mechanically focused, this is very likely to be the case again on any replacement set, possibly if you are lucky to a lesser degree,
    i would get a Toshiba engineer out to do electrical/mechanical focus
    and service level convergence and the problem should be solved.

4. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Serious? You don't notice a very faint faint vertical line just to the right of the middle? I wonder if its is something to do with where my tv is positioned, may be there is a power surge somewhere. Could you look a little closer because i want to get to the bottom of this as it is the most annoying aspect of these tvs.
    Thanks running back for the info. You wouldnt know how to access service mode so i can fix a problem im having with a sort of hortizontal buldge effect in the middle fo the screen that is noticable when the camera pans up and down. (Especially noticable when credits are rolling) Cheers

5. skytel888

skytel888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am quit sure there is not a line there i would have noticed it if it was cause i,m probably as fussy about the picture as most of us are in this forum.
    My stain isn't caused by convergence or the focus but i know what you mean though. Mine is a mark in the blue gun , when i look into the blue i can see a black mark in it at the same place where theres a green mark on my screen , i think i explained that about right

6. pugwashgreg

pugwashgreg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have definitely got the whitish centre line aswell - only normally noticeable on light backgrounds but worse on football matches with green pitch shots - only complaint about set for money - would really like to know how you get rid of it. Anybody got any ideas?

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let it run for 300-400hours before you call the dealer as these RPTVs needs to settle in.

There are airbubbles inside the CRTs that goes away after a couple hundred hours that does make the picture sometimes worse or better with different effects.

The bubbles if they are placed badly on the CRT concave lense can produce reflective spots on the image as the light reflects into the bubble and out.

CRT RPTVs are optical units and should be treated as that, think of it as a camera, many moving optical parts that need to cooperate to acheive the picture.....

I had the Toshiba 57" so i know everything about the Toshibas behaviour.......

If the problem still exists after a couple hundred hours running time, call the dealer and complain....

This is not as a regular TV, they need to be taken care of to produce the best quality.

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you thank you, at last someone confirms that its just not me getting this whitish line. Its not the end of the world but my god it is annoying as hell. I just wish it wasn't there and i think its disgraceful that it is there on ALL Toshiba sets. I have owned 2 Sony sets in my time and i have never witnessed anything close to a faint line (i refer to it being a line but its more like a bar) running down the middle of the sceen.
    When the technican calls out i am going to question him about it to see if there is anyway of elimating it. If not i may just scrafice the quality of the Toshiba set for may be a Sony Rear Projection with no line. Damn shame.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming!

9. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "There are airbubbles inside the CRTs that goes away after a couple hundred hours that does make the picture sometimes worse or better with different effects"

Your saying this is the explanation for the white line or the blue stain?

Cheers.

10. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blue stain