1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WH46,blurry pic

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by smiffy2004uk, Nov 16, 2004.

1. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,new guy here,i bought a Toshiba 42WH46 last week,i had seen it in currys,and was impressed,however i am new to the big tv market,so i don't know much about them,when i first got it home,i thought the picture was ok,but now i am not so happy with it,i have played around with the settings a bit(brightness,colour,contrast)those settings,but no matter what i do,i never seem to get the pic the way i want it,either to dark,to light.
    Now it seems to have a"ghosting"effect,or "blurry"This makes my eyes hurt,after a while,and its not very nice to watch.Has anyone got any suggestions as to what i can do to sort this out,i have read a bit on hear,and seen the word"convergance"what does that do??
    I was hoping the move up from a 28inch to a 42 would be a good move,but so far i have not been impressed at all,at this rate i think it will be returned(if possible)or sold on.Looking forward to you replys,and some advice

thanx.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Don't think this is a DLP TV. Can a Mod move it to the TVs forum?

Convergence refers to setting up the three CRT tubes in a CRT RPTV so that the red, green and blue pictures are perfectly aligned on the screen. This needs to be done initially and every so often when the alignment shifts. Should be in your manual, if you have a CRT model (I can't be bothered looking it up at this time of night!).

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (I agree with AV Junky, it's a CRT RPTV not DLP so mods please move!)

Smiffy, congrats on your purchase, I've got the wh36 model - had it for a year and it's excellent. It sounds like you're having convergence problems, these TVs take a bit of time to bed in, during which time you need to manually correct the convergence. When it's set up right they're awesome :)

On mine there's a simple user convergence setting in the setup options that allows you limited fixing of convergence. It's probably the same on the wh46. If that's not good enough for you do a search in the CRT RPTV forum for Demon's excellent guide to setting the convergence through the TV service menu. But please bear in mind that changing the wrong service menu option can damage the TV...having said that I followed Demon's instructions without too much trouble - just read it carefully beforehand!

4. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had the tv for about 4 weeks now,and still the pic is terrible,i have played with the convergance setting,and have it all correct(i see no red or blue bleed round edges of crosses)but still it just doesn't seem right,If after a program finishes and the end credits scroll across the bottom of the screen,they are just a big blur,i cannot read anything.Also when watching anything on sky,the picture just seems"blocky"I am begining to thik this is the worst purchase i have made.I have my contrast set to 34,brightness to 34,colour 45,but still it makes no difference,if i have it turned up it is awful,can anyone recommend me some settings they are using??It seems my pic is always"ghosty"i have checked the convergance again,and it seems to be ok.

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smiffy, what is the picture like when you're watching a dvd?

Also what are you connecting your devices with? RF arial, scart, s-video?

Is your sky box set to output a "PAL" signal or an "RGB" signal? You can check in the sky setup options.

Bear in mind that a lot of what you're seeing is a *much* larger screen (50% bigger) revealing picture problems in the incredibly :censored: poor sky broadcasts. Do you notice fewer problems on Channel 5 than on Sky, and worst on "The Vault" (a music channel with p*ss poor bandwidth)?

I also had terrible fears about my new TV purchase last year but after connecting it all up right noticed it was only a bad picture on low bandwidth satellite channels.

If you've just used the user level convergence (with 9 points) then you may still have large areas of screen that are poorly converged, leading to blurring. Is the blurring you see a smearing of white around high contrast white images (e.g. white movie credits) or do you see coloured fringes?

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Search for me Lizzard or Demon.

We have a thread about the Toshibas and how you tweak them, your problem is probably the mechanical focus that needs to be adjusted.

Not difficult.

7. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizzard,while i do appreciate your reply,i did say in an earlier reply i didn't want to go into that part of my tv,i am not technically minded and will end up messing it all up

8. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mango,all that is connected to my tv is sky,and a dvd surround system,as far as i am aware they are both connected through scart.When i bought the tv i was unaware that i would be messing around with the settings every day,i seem to be using the convergance every day,but when i get a reasonable picture it never lasts.I am beginning to think i should have stuck with my 28 inch,never had any trouble with that,so far this thing has been a complete waste of time and money.

9. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You better call Toshiba to make the tweak of the focus then.

10. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizzard the way its going i will be dumping the thing outside my house,lol, i might give it a go tomorrow,i have a feeling it could be a problem with my sky box,cus on ordinary tv,and dvd its not"blocky"but i do seem to be messing around with the convergance settings alot still,when i get a good picture it never seems to save it.

11. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smiffy, you've had the TV long enough for it to settle down now I think, as long as you're not moving it around the room (unlikely!). But if you're not doing service level convergence you just can't fix the convergence on large areas of the screen. The 9-point convergence just doesn't quite hack it. You need to follow Demon's guide to the service level convergence, being careful not to change the screen parameters.

It takes about an hour the first time you do it (I've tweaked it again once in the following year after moving the TV) but once you get to the service convergence menu is pretty easy. If you've not done it this will make a huge difference and doesn't need you to crack open the TV or anything (which I'd never dare do).

Once you've done that remember that the TV needs a short while to warm up when you turn it on...although I've never noticed the convergence being bad after fixing it at the service menu.

Also make sure you're Sky box is plugged into AV1 or 2, and that your sky box has the picture menu set to "RGB" rather than PAL - this will definitely improve your pic quality if you've not yet done it.

The other thing is, are you using the scart lead the sky engineer left with you? On TVs this size it makes a huuuuge difference getting a properly shielded scart cable. Do a quick search on there for Thor scart cables, you can buy them online for less than £20.

12. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Always remember to leave convergence adjustment until at least 45 minutes after switching on the tv. It needs time to 'warm up' and settle. If you attempt to adjust convergecne too soon, then it will drift off and will always appear to be 'off' and consequently out of focus.

13. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the reply mango,whilst i understand what ur saying i am really not confident enough to be messing with that part of the tv.As for the scart lead it is one i bought myself,not sure of how much it cost me,but i will have a look for a better one.I alaways let the tv warm up for at least an hour before i try the convergance,and it is getting to the stage wher i am changing the convergance all the time now,i had the tv on for about 5 hours the other night and i had to change the convergance about 6 times,and i never seemed to get a really good picture,i didn't realise these rear projection tv's were so much hassle,is the service part easy,could i do any real damage to the tv??i will take a look at demons tut later,and see what i think,thanx for the reply's,it is much appreciated.i had a guy tell me today that the distance between me and the tv might make a differance to,i sit roughly 8 ft away,and he said i needed to be about 15ft,is this correct??

14. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Smiffy, most people find that the user convergence just can't fix the whole picture - this is why you can't get it right with that menu and have to keep adjusting. You fix some part of the picture and then 10 minutes later will notice an edge that isn't right, when you fix that you'll break the convergence on another part of screen.

The service level mode is easy to use and will fix your convergence problems, rather than 9 points, there's more than 50 and you can fix all the parts of the screen.

When you first enter service mode you can change parameters that damage the TV, but as long as you press only the button that takes you to the convergence menu you'll be fine. To leave service mode you just turn the TV off.

About distance, the guy's wrong - I sit 9-10 feet from my 51" and it's fine when your convergence is right. Sitting further away will make image problems less obvious but most of us sit closer than 15 feet without trouble.

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you think of sitting 8 ft back from a large RPTV as being equivalent to sitting within 4 ft of a conventional smaller TV then it may become more obvious.
    We have a 50" Toshiba RPTV,and watch from about 12-15 ft,and have had no problems with focus or anything else for that matter,but it does sound as if yours is somewhat out of alignment,and if new,the engineers really should come out and set it up properly.

16. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tv was bought from a shop in fareham in hampshire called avworld,it isn't brand new,they get them from toshiba,some are failed deliveries,and some are factory reconditiond units,he said mine was a failed delivery.I have e-mailed them on several occasions but with no sucess.When i bought it i got a 12 month toshiba warranty,i have to take the tv back to avworld or take it to my local toshiba dealer if anything goes wrong with it,not sure if it costs me.I bought it from ebay,and i went and collected it from the shop,i only paid £649 for it.

17. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have you tried phoning Toshiba for advice? When I had a Toshiba RPTV I had a similar problem and they sent an engineer to my home to sort it out. No charge either, although it might depend on the conditions of any warranty you may have been given. Worth a phone call though.

18. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i might have to try toshiba if i can find a phone number,the thing is the tv isn't brand new,so i am not sure what my warrnty will cover.but it sounds like a good idea

19. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well tonight i gave the service menu a shot,followed the instructions on demons post,and adjusted everything on the wide picture setting while sky was on,got everything aligned nicely(found it quite easy to)when i finished i put the tv in standby,and then switched it back on,and the picture was great,nice and clear,still blocky while watching sky but i believe this is a problem with my sky box,so am thinking of upgrading to sky+.But then to my horror,after about 3 hours,the picture was awful again,so i went back to the service menu,and had a look at the settings again,and everything was out again,it seems to be mainly the blue,so i am thinking it is a problem with the tv.I am going to try and get hold of the shop i got it from tomorrow,just looked at the reciept,and it has a 12 month return to base warranty,i am just a bit cheesed,as it cost me £650 quid.

20. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like a duff TV then, I'm sorry to say. It's probably worth trying toshiba first to see what they say. It does not sound right that you're fixing it and it drifts off again.

When you do speak to Toshiba/AVWorld, do not say that you've been in to the service menu of the TV or they could try and blame any faults on you. It sounds like your reconditioned unit wasn't reconditioned too well :(

21. smiffy2004uk

smiffy2004uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey mango,thanx for the advice,i am now thinking that the tv is as fault,and i am now wondering where i stand with it.It came with a 12 month return to base warranty,trouble is the shop is an hour and a half away from me,so i guess it won't be getting done before xmas.I am really disapointed to,as i have e-mailed the shop twice,and they haven't even bothered to reply,yet when i mailed them about buying it they were straight on the phone.Just hope i don't get stuck with a duff set,what do u think could be wrong with it,and does anyone have a number for toshiba.