1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WH36 convergence prob + interference

Discussion in 'TVs' started by soswin, Jan 3, 2004.

1. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received a Toshiba 42WH36 but have 2 problems with it. Firstly the convergence was pretty bad, so I've been trying to adjust it through the menu, however this is proving tricky to get just right. Is it a feature of RPTV's that this can never be spot on?

My 2nd problem is I appear to get interference from BBC2 when watching SKY (via scart) from the TV arial. Goes away when I unplug it. Anyone else had a similar problem?

thanks

Stephen

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not sure about your interference problem but the convergence ought to be manageable.....there is a simple user level convergence menu,and a service level menu also,for the brave hearted.....if you haven't managed to get things right with the user level convergence,and you've only just received the RPTV,I'd strongly suggest getting the supplier to get a Toshiba engineer out to you,to correct the problem,rather than going into the service menu yourself and potentially invalidating your warranty.

3. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll call them out, see what they say.

thanks

Stephen

4. Bolle

Bolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    search on the forum.
    You will find how you can easily fix the convergence in the service menu.
    I did it and im very satisfied.

johan

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The reason I suggested a call to the suppliers/Toshiba in the first instance is that the RPTV is new,and thus under guarantee which will be invalidated by fiddling around in the service levels.....if this isn't a problem,then as Bolle suggests,a search here will provide all the information you need.
    If you do,be sure to write down all of the service level values before making any changes,so at least you have something to revert to if you press the wrong button!

6. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Rang toshiba, they explained the converence needs doing for each picture type (wide / cinema / 4:3 etc...) so I've tried that but it hasnt helped. I've noticed its just the red that goes out of alignment. I have to ring Comet now to ask their advice.

7. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Phone them back and tell them that the set needs a service level convergence done in all modes.
    When I first got my 42 I tried the simple level convergence and no matter how hard I tried I still could not get the crosses bang on. Since then I have done a service level convergence thanks to Demons instructions and believe me I was stunned when I learnt how easy it was. It really should be in the normal menu.
    I agree with Alexs2 that as the set is new get them to do it.

8. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I had a vaguely similar problem with picture crosstalk when watching Sky on External 2.

This was fixed by changing the External2 output to "Monitor" (it was originally set to "TV")

With a better scart lead this shouldn't cause problems but it made a big difference in my case.

If this is the problem however, it doesn't explain why the interference is always from BBC2?

9. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    just received mine just about 20 minutes ago and the screen is out of the tv frame! Dam it is annoying just on the phone now to comet, or woud it been easier for me to do it and put it back in !
    I just thought it could be damaged! So i phoning them, waiting for a response on the phone! We are seriously unlucky with tv second one we buy and its a dud(thirdly counting the replac)
    Hope the next one is not like this!

10. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats cured my interference problem, thanks johnjackthom. I'll get a better scart lead as well as the one I'm using for sky is pretty cheap.

thanks again

Stephen

11. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    :smashin:

It took me a while to get the convergence sorted on my 46WH08 but at the time (2 years ago) I found a few helpful hints on entering the service menus by searching this forum.

I would imagine all the Tosh RPTVs have similar adjustments.

Edit: Try a Search by User Name for posts by Demon and you'll find loads of info including how to get into the Service Convergence mode.

12. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet have sent someone around and he agreed the convergence wasnt ideal. They are going to send out an engineer. Seems that quite a few of these tv's need the convergence tinkering, toshiba should really make a better job of it at the factory.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Took delivery of the TV yesterday, and found many issues.

I personally managed to get the convergence settings spot on. No problems there.

The issue I came across is that after a few seconds of switching the TV on, I get lines appearing across the entire width of the screen intermittently, like scrambling lines, sometimes the lines cover the entire screen, sometimes the screen entirely clear.

Now it has evolved into the screen blurring out, like the focus has gone.

Very annoyed, engineer should around soon, but it is very frustrating because I was really looking forward to this TV.

Has anybody heard of this or experienced this? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

14. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    On a normal CRT TV, you've described a fault found in a line output transformer. In simple terms, it drives the tube to create a picture. Common faults are poor focus and flyback lines. It could also be the controlling IC for the lopt too.

Not sure on a RPTV, but as it is also CRT in nature, it wouldn't surprise me to find a similair fault.

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well, the issue has now evolved.

The lines now turn into a mass of what can only be described as green sin curves. The convergence of the three colours then seperates slowly, until all three colours are seperated from each other and the colours are portraying the movement on the screen independantly.

The screen then pinches from top to bottom convexing into a horizontal hour glass shape.

I guess the TV is buggered and I got hold of a dud. Hope the engineers call soon, as it is VERY infuriating. I'm hesitant to go into the service menus, but if the engineers do not turn up by Friday, I may have to.

16. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression from reading a massive site about rptv's that you should leave it a month before changing the service menu convergence as it is one of them things that bed's in and will go out constantly while it beds in?

Also if you ask me having studied the service menu's if the only problem you have when you buy a rptv is the convergence is out or the geometry is out then your best using the user convergence for a month then having a good go at the service menu after a month.

And as for the convergence going out then this would leave me to believe that the statement that the set's bed in to be true.

The other issues sound like faults. Out of all the TV's I have read about on here the rptv's sound like the most tweakable.

If I had the money I would have one. Hope you get your sets sorted out.

Regards

Robert.

PS have a search on here for 42w23 as it was searching for this set I came accross a link the the site that describes in great detail how to set them up properly and how you should not bother going to great lengths setting them up till they have bed in properly.

PPS wish I had the money for one :)

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Haven't touched the service menus, I'm just very annoyed that the TV was delivered to me this way.

I think it must have been banged about quite a bit by the couriers who supplied it, RPTVs are quite delicate and need to be treated with the utmost care.

It has just gradually become worse, and now the picture is unwatchable. This should not be happening with a new TV, I'm even more annoyed because while it was working initially, the image quality was stunning, and I know what I'm missing out on while it is out of commission!!

I even bought a nice new PAL Progressive Scan player (Pioneer DV668AVS) to take advantage of the PPS feature!! Pain in the arse so far is all I can say!!

18. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I've just had my tv now for about 5 days have to say i'm impressed but i've found that when i do convergence on the user menu system the crosses are a bit blurry specially the blue! And the green really is clearly stands out more when watching telly!
    NOw i don't know if its out of focus and if i need to call up toshiba!
    Anybody had similar problems!

19. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I think it's normal for the blue crosses to be less well focused than red & green but this doesn't appear to make any difference viewing programmes.
    I've had my Tosh RPTV for over 2 years and it's still pretty impressive IMHO.

20. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well, spoke to an engineer today finally.

Told him the symptoms and basically the TV has had it......

They still have to verify with a home visit, and so I have to wait till Monday for it to get the 'official' write off. I can then get the replacement, but I have decided to go all the way and order the daddy, yes, you heard it right, the 57WH36P!!!!!

If you are going to go for it, might as well go all the way. Well, another reason is that they do not have any of the 42" versions left in stock, and I have the all important "Wife Approval" to go for the mega version!! All I have to do is pay the difference.

What I may do is go directly to the depot and pick it up myself, the couriers used are the reason the TV is faulty in the first place imho, so do not want to risk it again. I would always advise those that are able to pick up the equipment themselves, to do so, as I never trust couriers anymore.

21. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    yes but then if you damage it, its your money! My first one was damaged by the delivery guys from comet the replacement seems to be fine!
    But as i stated before the green is everywhere! and seems a bit out of focus!

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I could stipulate that the delivery guys be VERY careful with the TV, but just by stating that, the couriers may just damage it on purpose, who knows?

Dilema time :-(

23. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a slight green tinge on certain edges, particulary on faces. I'm hoping the engineer will be able to sort it when he does the convergence.

24. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hey that is exactly my problem!
    Did you call up Toshiba, you think i should do the same! As i have the same problem you really notice the green when their are faces or edges but it is more on the right side then the left side, which is weird!

25. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I get it mostly on the right side as well. not sure why. I'm going to point it out to the engineer when he does the convergence, there is a scene in Desparado I can pause where its very noticeable. I'll let you know how I get on, I'm just waiting for comet to callback with a date. I think there will always be a slight tinge on the edges though, viewing distance and all that.

26. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Comet sent another engineer round, who did the user convergence (after I showed him where it was!) then said that was as good as it gets. I mentioned the engineer menu but he said you only go into that if you've had to replace one of the tubes. I decided at that point I'd rather do it myself (following demons detailed instructions). I'll give it a go and if I see an improvement I'll make a complaint to Comet.

27. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sounds like a totally crap engineer to me.

Doing convergance is there for whenevr it's needed. Ie, poor intial set up etc.

I'd bet money on it he didn't have any info on how to access it or how to use it.

28. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got a chance to buy a 42wh36 for 964 incl. del. , But have read the review in Home cinema choice and they did not seem that impressed ? Are they being too picky with there review ? I've read alot of positive and negative on this TV but for 964 it seems like a bargain. Would appreciate any comments .......

29. soswin

soswin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just finished doing the convergence from demons instructions, picture looks great now. there was a green tinge around faces and things, thats now gone. Think I'll complain to comet, there engineer should of done it, it didnt take very long at all. Thanks to everyone who posted help on this thread.

Stephen

30. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    jumbopants where from, i need to do a price match on my for barclaycard!