Toshiba 42WH36 burn in/memory effect

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Pete000, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Pete000

Pete000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd been led to believe that plasma's suffered from burn in/memory but having taken delivery of a Toshiba 42WH36 rear projection tv (which did not work and is going back for a refund) I found it with stickers on stating no stationary images and the instructions keep telling me not to leave any stationary images on screen. This concerns me as I planned on using it for games and sky tv. Any comments?
    Pete

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a 51WH36 and it comes with the same warning. If my memory serves me correctly a TV manufacturer was successfully sued some years ago because a customer used their RPTV for a games console and burnt the tubes out in about 4 months. When the customer tried to get the set repaired the manufacturer refused because in their view the tubes were burnt out by customer misuse. The customer took them to court and won, which led to all manufacturers of RPTV's to issue the warning that you should set low contrast when using it as a games console monitor. This is not a concern to me because mine is primarily used for DVD, which it really excels at.

Basically, it's to do with the way rear projections work. The three CRT's have to run at very high light output rates in order to generate a viewable image on screen. This is where the problems start - run your PJ at high contrast rates and it will soon develp irreperable screen burn especially if it is used to run a PS2 or X-Box. Rear Projections do have a shorter lifespan than direct view because the CRT's are driven so hard, but if they're looked after they can last very well. In the case of my tosh I don't ever use reset 1 because that is 100% contrast - not only a very ugly picture but also a sure fire recipe for burnt tubes in a short period of time. Setup is the key, spend time on that and it will reward you.

3. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Pete,
    I have owned a Toshiba 57WH36 for 7 months. I have an xbox/ps2/cube and sky connected to it and 3 kids that watch/play a lot.
    As of yet I have had no problems with screen burn so I wouldn't be too concerned.
    As Laurel&Hardy said the contrast/brightness and colour should be set a lot lower than the default 100% it arrives at. Mine are all around the 45% mark.
    Mike