Toshiba 42WH36 blue tinge

P

pickle2000

I have just bought a Tosh 42WH36 RPTV (last friday) and the set is looking excellent. It was an upgrade from my old 42WP23 and it is a lot crisper and has better colour reproduction.

However, I was watching it on Saturday night and after a while I noticed that the screen was getting bluer and bluer. Anything which was supposed to be black was turning blue and all the other colours where starting to look washed out. Even the black bars on my DVD were blue. I tried SKY through scart, DVD through scart and s-video and the same thing happened on all inputs. I turned it off for 5 minutes and then back on again and the colours were fine for a bit but then the blue came back.

On sunday I tried a proper test. Switched the tv on and everything was fine, but after about 1 1/2 hours the blue problem started to happen again. The thing which really concerned me though was that the menu (not the service menu, but the standard one) had perfect colour reproduction. Blacks were solid black and all other colours looked perfect, it was just the picture on the screen which was turning blue. How can this be?

I have now switched the set fully off (not standby) and I will give it some more tests over the course of this week to see if it is still doing it.

Does anyone know what this problem could be, or if they have had the same thing happen?
Would this be something that I can change in the service menu (haven't touched this yet), or would I be best to call Toshiba up sooner rather than later?

Cheers for help
Pickle

Pickle,

Have you tried adjusting the convergence in the user menu? Also have you turned the contrast down from the normal 100 that the set arrives with?

I'm no expert but I have the same TV as you. Once the covergence has been done properly you should be laughing but you will proably have to get a Tosh engineer out to do this.

Just as a matter of interest where did you buy the TV from and how much did you pay for it?

I am actually toying with the idea of selling mine in favour of flat technology but I am reluctant as it is such a great TV.

Let me know.

Cheers

Paul

Blossom,

I paid £600 for it from MKA televisions (bought off ebay) last week.

The contrast has been reduced and all of the convergance (standard not service level) has been setup and it still does it.
Called up MKA televisions the other day to tell them of the fault and they are sending a engineer round to fix it. Apparently he knows what the problem might be - but he is gonna take the tv away for a few days though :(. Should hopefully get it back all fixed though... :thumbsup:

I used to have a tosh 42WP23 set which I loved and got this one as a bit of an upgrade - the picture is a lot sharper and the 100Hz and different scan modes means that this one is flicker free. Some sky broadcasts look a bit 'pixelly' since the set is so much sharper then my other one, but I am sure that I will get used to that. It does seem like a super tv though, and watching dvds on it is just superb.

Pickle

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom