1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42wh18b problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Realdeal.UK, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Realdeal.UK

Realdeal.UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got the Toshiba 42wh18b, nice looking set!

But have noticed a red sort of bleeding covering about 2in from the left of the screen and about 4in from the right of the screen.
    I noticed it more on the live sky football. Does anyone know what this might be, and how to cure it.

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,774
    Hi,

Have you checked the convergence?, the red might be will out of alignment.

Have you tried dvds, to see if the problem is still there, it may be down to the sky picture.

It it still persits, get an engineer out to check it.

rai

3. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,774
    Hi,

Just to add, for others it just shows that problems can still persist of new models, so dont spend ages waiting for a new tv to come out, just buy one that most people have and are happy with, a few people will have small problems, that can be fixed, thats why you have the warranty for.

rai (40WH08B new owner) no probs.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also a proud new owner of a 42WH18B.

I think I have seen the same "red bleed". Very faint and adjusting the convergence helped. Trouble is you can only adjust the convergence for the whole screen - rather than individual parts of screen.

Did you get yours sorted?

MY PROBLEM
    2 grey bands (feint "watermark") on left of screen. Most pronounced on DVD Component In, less so on RGB Scart from STB and not really noticeable on broadcast.

Tosh customer support suggested degaussing TV + SubWoof (ie unplug overnight) ... we shall see....I feel a vist from the Tosh engineer coming on.

Anyone experience these bands?

Wilt

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have said, the set is brilliant - stuff above is minor and I expect to get it 'fixed'.

6. Realdeal.UK

Realdeal.UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a replacement set (Friday) set it up and again the bleeding, messed with the convergance and got great picture. Only to find that the following morning after turning it on again to suffer the same bleed problem. Messed with the convergance again and now have it running great. It is a great looking set and is superb with DVD's.

I do not have a problem with the bands on the screen, hope you get it fixed.

My other problem was the wait getting my replacement TV. Living on the Isle of Man, Toshiba have no engineers based here. No local engineer would take up the challenge under warranty, but Tosh did send a new TV. Good for them!!!:D

7. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must have your tv switched on for about 45 minutes before attempting to adjust the convergence. It takes this long for the picture to pop into place. If you try to adjust it too soon, then the convergence will continue to drift out so that next time you switch on it appears to be no better. Leave it for 45 minutes then carry out the adjustments and it should be okay. I have the same tv and it is a superb performer. Good luck!

8. MickyBoy

MickyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I have a bit of a stupid question about this convergence setting. (I'm about to buy a 42WH18B)

Is access to the service menu needed to do all this, or is it a "public" setting?

I think I'm gonna be dead nervous about messing with any service menu settings if it involves that.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at this thread, title, Toshiba 50 WH18B , started by Gedlink.

Wilt

10. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Hi Wilt..

How could you get my name wrong...

I've often been called Ted, Jake, Fred but never LINK?>>

Keep 'em coming.

Cheers

Ged Clink ( now known as Mr Link )

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Mr Link - my humble apologies,

Wilt

12. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry, it is a user control.

13. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Wilt, you can adjust the convergence for different parts of the screen, not just the whole as I meself previously thought.

All you need to do is, instead of moving the arrows in the convergence setting (up, down, left, right), push the 'NUMBERS' on your remote control and you should be able to adjust the '9' different points of the screen. I too have the 42WH18B and the picture quality for DVD's - especially for 'The Gladiator' - is absolutely phenomenal, especially through an RGB scart lead.

VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ:

Is it true that the lifespan of CRT rear-projection TV's are shorter than conventional TV's?