1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WH18B help please

Discussion in 'TVs' started by DM1972, May 28, 2002.

1. DM1972

DM1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading through these forums it seems that this is the best 42 RP set for the money and a lot of people seem very happy with theirs.

However I have a few questions that I would appreciate answers to before I shell out my hard earned cash.

1) How many speakers come with the set (Centre? Front L & R? Rear L& R?) and how good are they?

2) If they are crappy speakers would I be able to plug in a set of Mission FS2 AVs into the back of the TV with the need for a seperate AV receiver?

3) It states the TV as having 'Dolby Digital', does this mean it has a decoder and if so is it any good for a beginner like me?

4) Is the stand really worth having as I need somewhere to stick my sky digi box and DVD player?

5) What would be the best way to hook up the TV to my Toshiba SD-200E DVD player (with inbuilt decoder) and my Sky digi box?

I hope someone can help me as I really want to make the right choice before shelling out.

P.S. I have seen robertsons-online selling a Thomson 52" RPTV for what seems like a give away price. Is it any good and how would it compare to the Toshiba model?

Kind regards,
    Stephen

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can try and answer some of your questions.

1. it has 3 internal speakers 2 x 14watts and 1x 20 watt center speaker. also comes with 2 surround speakers @ 10watts each. I have no problems with the sound. It does me fine.

2. there is ample connections on the back for extra speakers subwoofers etc, 3 scart lead inputs so you can connect your sky and dvd here no problem.

3. I have my gear on a stand next to the tv coz I did not think the tosh stand was worth the money. If if the tv was a bit higher I think it would be better overall for the viewing angel but its personal preference.

4. i think it must have an inbuilt DD decoder but Im not up on these things.

3. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the stand with mine. The viewing height IMO is a bit high and I can barely get my Sky+ box in the stand (it's not deep enough). If I knew what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought the stand - I would still have definately bought the TV though, it's a class set.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

4. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you also considered the Sony KP44PS2? It's more expensive but from the reviews I've read it's currently seen as best in class, in terms of picture and looks:

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/Televisions/Sony/SonyKP-44PS2U.shtml

http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/firstlook_read.asp?ID=1686

Only downside on the Sony is it's Nicam only, but I'm getting a seperate surround sound system anyway.

Don't underestimate the importance of asthetics either. I took my other half to Comet to look at both sets side by side. There is no way she would have accepted the tosh in our lounge!

I paid £2K for the Sony, whilst that is several hundered quid more than the Tosh, the marginally bigger screen, better picture/looks and SWMBO acceptance factor swung it!

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    2. Yes, they are crappy. You are better off with front ext speakers, BUT the quality of the DD5.1 from this TV comes NOWHERE near as good as a half decent AV amp.

3. Yes it has a built in dd decoder...but (see above)

4. No, it add uneccassary extra height and puts the viewing pos too high and beyond the 'optimum' viewing level.

5. Use componet leads for the DVD and a good quality RGB SCART lead for the digi box.

Otherwise, good choice of TV, highly rec.

6. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stand is a waste of money. Vertical viewing angle too high with it. Don't bother.

DD decoder, given the fact that it's internal, isn't bad. I use separate amp but was surprised at the quality of this internal amp. Try it to start with, using your speakers and upgrade if you feel necessary.

Component leads give great results - I've got the Tosh and it looks superb.

Great TV.

7. DM1972

DM1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies guys its appreciated. :)

As it seems from your replies, the speakers and DD 5.1 decoder are pretty naff, so I was wondering if I was to use my Onkyo TX-DS484 AV Reveiver (DD5.1 & DTS decoding)and either use my Pioneer surround sound floorstanders (cheapo ones I bought 2 years ago) or buy the Mission FS2 AV speakers.

I was hoping not to have to use the amp and external speakers as the other half isn't overly crazy about going from a nice 28" flat screen TV to a huge space sapping 42" set without the the extra amp and speakers taken up space in the new house, if you get where I'm coming from.

I noticed that Toshiba sell a set thats the same but minus the DD decoder and is only 50hz. Does having 100HZ really make a difference because I can buy the 42PW23P for £300 less which would help to go towards a decent set of speakers.

Once again, thanks for the help you truely are a helpful bunch :cool:

Kind regards,
    Stephen

P.S. I take it that people don't recommend the Thomson RP tvs as no one replied to my 1st post about them :D

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant see much of a difference between 50 and 100 hz. It is personal preference really. The tv in the other room is 50hz and i dont see any difference. Some people do some dont. I still dont find any problem with the tvs speakers. I have my amp on when watching a dvd but when watching normal tv I just use the tvs speakers. No probs at all. Anyway the picyure is fantastic on dvd:D