Toshiba 42PW33P? Advice please

T

TessB

Hi guys,

I'm new here and sorry if this is in wrong place!

I have seen a rear-projection tv for £999 which seems very good but am wondering if is as good as seems, as I don't know a great deal about televisions.

Specs are -

The Toshiba 42PW33P 42'' Rear Projection TV With Stand features a Hi-brite screen with a dark tint.
Pure Flat screen
Widescreen nicam stereo
50Hz TV
20W RMS bass boost
Digital comb filter
Super scene control
Super real transient
Colour detail enhancer
Dynamic scan control
Noise reducer
100 page text
On screen display
Panel lock
3 scart inputs
Multi standard video playback
Cabinet stand included
Dimensions 1160.5H x 1004.5W x 415D mm.

I actually was looking for a plasma screen but have read that they do not have very long lifespans.

Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tess

I have just bought one of these rear projection TVs for my dad's father's day present.
They are currently £599 in Currys and from what I could see in-store they were comparable to similar TV's but approx £200-ish cheaper.
I am sure someone will tell me how inferior they are but at that price and the size of screen you are getting for your money seems very favourable

I personally dont like them. The grid structure is very evident and the picture can look very artifical and not natural at all. Probably why they are selling for the price they are. I would avoid.

:)

My mate bought one not so long ago and he loves it.

Mind you, he's not bothered about picture quality, it's all the same to him.

Just the impact of a large screen over his 28" crt was enough to win him over.

He wasn't bothered about future proofing, HD etc etc.

Didn't look too bad with Splinter Cell though :)

I believe this is a CRT RPTV, not DLP. Wrong forum, so, moving.

Well a quick uppdate...... I didnt buy the Toshiba 42PW33P at the end of the day, I exchanged for a Samsung SP43W6HLX which Currys had reduced from 799ukp to 599ukp; so in short I got it for the same price.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/pro...ojection+Televisions/Samsung/SP43W6HLX/933228

The spec was slightly better than the Toshiba; it had a marginally bigger screen but came with 100Hz progressive scan compared to 50Hz on the Toshiba and it also came with a built in stand.

I took delivery about 2 hours ago and it has been running for about an hour. Initially I was very disappointed cause the image was bleached and colurless but this was due to a poor SCART cable. Once that was changed.... BANG! It came to life.

The colour and the image is fantastic; I have absolutely nothing negative to say. I cant comment to much on the sound as I am running it through a surround sound system.

I dont know if I made the right choice between the Toshiba and Samsung but I had a set budget and I am more than happy with my purchase.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom