Toshiba 42PW33 - progressive scan?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by 42PW33, Oct 17, 2003.

1. 42PW33

42PW33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've asked a few Dixon's employees but they didn't know what progressive scan was so ....

Does anyone know whether the 50Hz NICAM model being sold exclusively in Dixons/Currys is progressive scan on PAL and NTSC via the component inputs.

Also, does anyone know whether the dearer 42WH36 model is prog scan?

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    AFAIK the PW33 does not even have component video connections, and does not do progressive scan...

The 42wh36 does prog scan, and according to my sources, it will do PAL and NTSC prog scan, Both my brother and I have the 51wh36, and will be trying PAL progressive scan on Monday.. We've confirmed the xxWH36 does NTSC prog scan so far.. will have the definitive answer on Monday!!

3. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st answer no as this is a older model.
    2nd yes all wh36 models hav prog scan.hope this helps regards nickj.

4. 42PW33

42PW33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PW33 most definately does have component inputs!

.... but do they do prog scan??

5. 42PW33

42PW33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PW33 is a new model that looks identical to teh WP36, but is exclusive the the DSG (Dixons & Currys).

It is not the 42PW23, a different animal altogether.

The price is 999 UKP, so very tempted, but I must have prog scan!

6. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Im going to get one of these. Im not to fussed on progressive scan or 100Hz.

I think the set / pic and price looks good too.

Scooby

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I never got a chance to look round the back of a 42pw33, it has been mentioned in other threads that it may not have had component input, I'm glad its confirmed it has, since this would have been a backwards step for Toshiba. I've also seen the 42wh38B, this is also a 'special' for curry's/dixons, or at least, thats the only place I've seen it..

But just FYI.. the 42WH36 is the exact same cabinet, but has prog scan, 100Hz, and active vision, which is the latest Toshiba enhancement in Picture Quality.

The 42wh36 is available from Unbeatable, as an example for £1120.. so £120 more gets you the latest 100Hz active vision, progressive scan and that same nice cabinet...

42WH36 @ unbeatable

Just some food for thought...

I could be wrong, but I've been told that essentially, bar a few tweaks, the PW33 is a PW23 in a new cabinet, and the WH38B is a WT29 in a new cabinet.. but it has , and I quote, 'some minor differences'.. but they (engineers at Tosh), didn't know what changes had been made.. although the pw23 was an excellent set, so a tweaked version should be better. I think the wh36 is the 'next' step up in terms of PQ though.

8. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  9. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi demon is the wh38 with the digital tuner in them if so were can i look at 1 on the net.thanks in advance regards nickj.

10. 42PW33

42PW33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked this question directly to Toshiba and here is the reply ...

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you requested as follows:

The 42WH36 television is compatible with NTSC progressive scan but not PAL progressive scan.

The 42PW33 does not have the progressive scan feature for either NTSC or PAL formats.

11. 42PW33

42PW33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asked Toshiba whether any of their RPTV range support PAL progressive. This is their reply ...

Unfortunately none of our Rear Projection Televisions have PAL and NTSC progressive scan. The 36ZP38 (and 32ZP38) Picture Frame 2 television has both PAL and NTSC progressive scan.

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    :rotfl: Now why does that not surprise me?

13. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    OK, stop panicking..

The good news is, that My brother will have his sony 730 arriving tomorrow.. and this will settle the prog scan question once and for all..

I've asked a very good engineer at the factory, and he assures me the xxwh36 series can do PAL Prog.. and since it uses the same processing/signal conditioning as the PF2 (36zp38) with a few minor 'differences' I'm quietly confident that it will..

As for customer service.. well, they are not a technical department, they only handle the logistics of the sets.. I'm not knocking them.. but one fact so far is..

using a 'broken' sony 730 DVD player, (it wouldn't play any disk.. but had the DVD players splash screen / menu showing), we could put it into prog scan mode, and the splash screen could still be seen, and could be seen to be de-interlaced.. the only question was "Was the menu in NTSC or PAL?".. since the thing would not play anything, I couldn't get a definitive answer... but will have one tomorrow..

14. jezzb

jezzb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the Toshiba Website in Germany, The Tosh has the following : 3 x Scart (1x RGB, 2x S-VHS, 3x AV), Front S-VHS, Front-AV (Cinch).

Kind regards,
    JezzB