1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42PW27

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zAndy1, Feb 8, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    Is this supposed to come with the RCA terminal board in a seperate box that has to be self fitted or is it supposed to be fitted already? I've just got one and the terminal board is in a seperate box and I have to fit it myself, just wasn't expecting that to be honest. Also is it ok to lay it on the floor when fitting the board etc, I thought these things weren't supposed to be laid down!

Andy.

2. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes thay always come like that its because of import charges i think and you can choose bnc or phono boards

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I'd fit it by putting it against a chair and turning it upside down rather than flat on floor.

Gordon

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....and it's absolutely fine to lay it down while you fit the terminal board (I think the instructions even tell you to if I remember correctly!).

Simon

5. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine in a separate box and fitted it as per the instructions, which state to lay the plasma flat (I lay mine on the protective foam wrapping which was covering the screen when you removed it from the box). Obviously lay it on a soft surface (such as a carpet) as opposed to laminate.

Read the instructions carefully as the screws have to be tightened up in a specific order.

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i put mine in the feet polastiring ones that came with it. put it on the room table ans slid the board up into it , i did not want to lay it down on anything , as you slide it in it clicks thats when you know its in,

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    Thanks for the replies chaps, operation about to commenc, will report back later with the outcome (please let there be no duff pixels, please!)..

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    Well, it's up and running, no dodgy pixels (hurray), looks fantastic (hurray), bloody buzzing noise (boo!). I think I must be cursed with noisy plasmas, this one is definitely buzzing and I think it's even louder than the Hitachi it replaced! Picture quality is noticeably 'softer' than the Hitachi, not as sharp, probably due to the fact the Hitachi was 32" and the Hitachi is higher res. Probably also due partly to the crap cables I'm currently using, hopefully my new Supra AV3 component cable will help and I need a good VGA cable too (got a 10m Lindy one from when I had my AE100, might try that). Overall though impressed , black levels are definitely better than the Hitachi and the detail in the blacks seems better. And of course the extra 10" makes all the difference (asking for it with that one aren't I!).

Just need to tweak it now and get the cables it deserves and see if the buzzing settles down..

Andy.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    Still buzzzzzzing.. can anyone with a Tosh 42WP27 or Panasonic 5 series (or 4 series for that matter) tell me how much noise their display makes? If you put your ear next to it (at the top) can you hear a buzzing noise, can you hear it from where you sit? I just don't know whether I'm expecting miracles here (a silent (ish), non intrusive plasma) or whether I am right to demand a replacement as it's louder than it should be. By the way, I put my sound meter up to it and it was approx 56db when the buzzing was at it's highest pitch.

Cheers,
    Andy.

10. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is completely silent. I have strained and strained to hear this buzz, as has my other 'alf, but I don 't hear any buzzing at all.

Have you tried lowering the contrast level. I read in one of this forum's threads that this can sometimes help. The contrast levels are set way too high by default any way.

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    Yep, lowered the contrast but makes no difference. Anyway you've given me sufficient ammunition to justify my grievance so thanks for that.

Cheers,
    Andy.

12. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new Panny 5 makes no audible noise whatsoever as far as I can tell . . . very pleased with it.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Andy,

Some power supplies are noisy and some aren't. I think you'll have trouble getting them to swap as they seem to just say "it's within spec". Good luck and hope you enjoy your new purcahse!

Gordon

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,026
    It may be in spec but it's not 'silent operation' like it's advertised to be. It may well be ok for commercial applications but in a living room it's noticeable to the point of ruining the experience. Anyway nexnix have once again come up with fantastic customer service and agreed to swap it for another one. I've decided to go down there this time (250 miles each way) and have a listen to one myself and I'll only take one away when I'm happy with it. Seems to be the only option really or this could go on forever!

Cheers,
    Andy.

15. ginga_dj

ginga_dj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    personally speaking, I cant realy notice the buzz. I know there is one, but its insignificant with the amp on.

I love my tosh 42pw27.......

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Andy,

That's a good deal and the way to do it. I've now seen quite a lot of Panny's and clones and there is quite an inconsistency in the noise they produce. SOme are near silent and some are BUZZZZYYYYY.

Gordon