1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42pw23p

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by markymark34, Nov 20, 2003.

1. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    TOSHIBA
    42PW23P
    42" rear projection nicam stereo widescreen tv

I have been looking at TVs for about 6 months now with a view to buying either a 32" set £500 max or destroying my bank balance and buying the toshiba. Has anyone got one of these? whats the verdict? Its impossible to get a decent viewing in currys!

2. Fatbloke99

Fatbloke99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was lucky enough to see the WT29 next to the PW23. No contest. The WT29 won hands down - the extra 50Hz scan makes all the difference :) . Probably improved upon by the new models now though....

3. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 42pw23 two weeks now. The PQ is stunning. Puts my 32" Sony direct view to shame.

Takes a while to get it setup perfectly but I actually find the 50hz a breath of fresh air away from all the problems I’ve had with 100hz sets. I do notice a very slight flicker on bright images but much less so than a standard 50hz direct view TV.

Almost all my DVD's are reg1 NTSC so they are flicker free.

For £835, I’m very pleased with it.

Personally speaking, I did not want to fork out the extra £400 for the WT29. I've no need for built in dolby digital, and 100hz has never impressed me.

The real proof came when the wife said : "Hmm, that's got a much better picture than the old TV"

4. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    thanks for the response guys.
    I was looking through some old threads and found a few people talking about using an xbox through RP but no one was able to come to a definite conclusion about if its ok or not any advice?

Is it tricky to set it up properly? seems to be a never ending range of options!

5. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd not say it's hard to do, but it can take a while to get things like convergence (service menu, not user) to the best it can be.

I'm not sure I’d want to use a console with any RPTV, most games have fixed HUD's and other static images and screen burn is not covered under any warranty. However in terms of quality, I’ve hooked my laptop up via s-video and the screen provides a very sharp and detailed image, with no flicker.

Reducing the contrast should help to lower the risk of screen burn.

Saying this I do know someone that's had an PRTV for 3 years now and his kids use it constantly to play PS2/XBOX and I’ve yet to notice any signs at all of this. However the way in which Toshiba strongly discourage overuse of consoles would indicate they believe the risk is fairly high.

If it was me, I’d use a normal direct view CRT for games.