1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42PW23P,whats the general opinion overall?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by smallman28, Jul 27, 2003.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate has now noticed this set in Argos for £1000,I have read a few threads on this forum relating to this set,is the overall opinion a good one from those who have one?
    Also I have read a few threads about service menus etc,is it really necessary to go into the service menu to get the best possible picture or are you all trying to be perfectionists,my mate isn't a great one for messing about with things he like's his stuff to work well out of the box.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42PW23P. It's well worth the money... what other 42" display can you buy for £1K? (maybe a refurb LCD PJ, but IMO bit of a lemon if you ask me)

I've had this set for about 6 months now. Overall I would say it's worth it., with great picture quality. it has a couple of small quibbles, but everything has something. At least with a CRT RP I can sort out any geometry faults (ie bendy lines) with a 36" it's not always possible- theres only so much you can do.

I would not recommend going into the service level unless he's technical-minded. You can screw the set up.

However the picture does improve performing the full service level convergence - for PAL & NTSC modes; and all aspect ratios. Disabling SVM also helps.

Here's a snap shot from my RP (looks ALOT better in the flesh, lots more detail, and more in focus, with even brightness in the corners)

http://nathansilly.012webpages.com/

I have a pure Region 1 DVD player into AV4 (Component) a Region 2 into AV1 (RGB) VCR into AV2, and MC-1 OSD/switching on the AV3 (front S-Video)

Sound is quite good for a TV.. loud and clear.

RP's have come along way since the naff Philips RP's that are in Game (bright in middle, dark on the outside).. my set has even brightness all over.

Oh if you're gonna use Region 2 PAL DVD's I would be careful, as three people can see the 50hz flicker from PAL DVD's (with Region 1's they're fine, as NTSC refreshes at 60hz) Since 100% of my collecition is R1 NTSC, I'm not bothered. For broadcast TV we see no flicker.

If you notice the flicker, best to go for the WT version - DD, Freeview & 100hz.

One important tip- make sure you decrease contrast from 100% to about 40-50% - doing so will lengthen the tubes life, decrease the possibilty of screenburn, and it make look much better. Also reduce colour to ~35.

The TV has it's own User Level convergence, that option is fool-proof (however it's not as good as the service level convergence)

I have also done other tweaks- adjusted each CRT electron focus (screen) and each CRT lens focus.. these are quite advanced tweaks so only for the experienced user.

I would recommend getting a copy of Avia DVD - NTSC only though (checkout the powerbuy section) as this can be used to set the TV's brightnes/contrast/colour/tint/sharpness settings, plus check geometry & convergence alignment.

[edit] edited the paragraph in the Contrast & snap shot comments; please re-read!:D

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. SixWhippys

SixWhippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine for a month now, love it to bits. Picture quality was excellent out of the box (turn down brightness and contrast!), have subsequently spent about 5 mins doing a service level convergence.

6. fisha

fisha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i looked at the w23P closely and really like the set. in the end i spend a few hundred pounds more and bought the 100Hz version.

main reason was i could seethe flicker and as i suffer from migranes - often set off by certain lighting conditions, i figured that it would be best to spend a little more and remove the flicker.

that being said, i think the 100hz has a slightly softer image compared to 50hz - but i;m still pleased with my picture - i can still see indiviual pixels on the set - so it aint that fuzzy

also turn down the brightness and contrast to 40-50 and the colour to about 40 - makes the picture much nicer to watch

7. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after spending ages in Currys and playing to death with the Toshiba I have to say we were not that impressed.
    The line structure was very visible not matter what we did and we just couldn't seem to get a colour/brightness/contrast balance,I know the one display might be old and dirty inside but it doesn't inspire confidence.
    In the end my mate went and got the Samsung one he was looking at before,not the best name in RPTV I know but we managed to get a good looking picture on it after loads of tweaking and anyway it's his money and he was happy.
    He just has to wait till next week for delivery and then I will get the job of setting it up for him.

8. JohnC

JohnC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi
    Im very keen to get a 42PW23P
    Could anyone out there tell me what distance they are viewing at please and what they consider the ideal viewing distance is?

I have about 8 to 9 feet to play with!!

Also are scan lines that noticeable?? and what material are they most and least noticable?

Many thanks JohnC

9. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say go and have a look at it yourself,in Currys for example,and see what you think.
    At the one where we went to there were a couple of chairs that we moved to the viewing distance the tv was going to be used at and the lines were too visible,this was about 7ft.
    Maybe at 8-9 foot they wont be a problem.
    Also I wouldnt buy from Currys as it was £1099,yet in Argos it was only £999,might still be had for cheaper elsewhere though.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Scan lines will be noticeable if you sit very close to the TV(I have a 50WT29B),but as it's a CRT based device you will never notice individual pixels...mine is about 12 feet away from the seating,and the picture structure is only visible on very poor pictures,such as some of the Sky programming,and never visible with a good quality component input.
    All round,a very good picture if the advice above about contrast and brightness/colour levels is followed....all the sets arrive with default settings that will look impressive in a bright showroom...used like that at home,your eyes will be on fire after 30 minutes!