1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42PW23P - Wait/Cancel?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sjewson, Oct 29, 2003.

1. sjewson

sjewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered Tosh 42PW23P October 3rd. Was told the TV was in stock by customer service dept, before I ordered.

Still waiting now........

The Dilemma
    ----------------
    The TV is the cheapest I've seen anywhere inc delivery is £885 and 9 months interest fee via Able2Buy. The next cheapest is about £100 more, with similar finance deal, but available now!

Customer Service?
    -----------------------
    But after several unanswered emails and five phone calls to Empire Direct, im getting a bit sick. You guessed it, the same old story, their unwilling to give a guaranteed delivery date, I've never had an apology/courtesy email or even a phone call to explain!
    E.D. R blaming Toshiba for no stock but after contacting Tosh direct they say they are getting the RP TV's in all the time and there shouldnt be a delay!

Very Poor customer service.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

2. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered the same RP from EmpireDirect. Not very pleasing to read about your problems so far.

If your looking for someone else to get it from comet 'did' have them up until last night for £885.27 (online) the same price to the penny as it is from empire when you include p&p.

Only I’ve just checked and it appears not to be on comet's site anymore.

looking at http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_42pw23p.html
    it seem's the cheapest option is to stick with empire and hope they get it sorted.

Let me know if you have any luck

3. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking around a few sites, every single one I can see that sells the 42PW23P seems to have it shipped / installed direct from toshiba.

Can anyone who has already had one of these tell me if it came direct from toshiba and was setup/demo'd to you?

4. EnTiTy

EnTiTy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here is my story with empire direct i ordered my 50 inch rear projection tv, on 5th of july this year was told it was in stock and it would be delivered the following week, boy was i wrong after numerous calls i recieved my tv september 8th.

it was deliverd by 2 of empire directs delivery guys on a transit van they dropped it twice on the stairs from about 12 inch high carrying it up to my first floor apartment damaged my wallpaper brute forceing it at the top of the stairs round a corner.

carried it in to the front room and decided it was too heavy to carry and pushed the tv across my living room floor laminate flooring,
    damaging the floor with the plastic straps the tv was packaged in and they took the card board packaging and left no setup no demo nothing.

upon checking the tv i found no pysical damage we sat watching the tv for a few hours before and noticed every 3 mins the tv would black out and you could hear the tubes firing back up i made empire direct aware of this and was basically told prove it was the delivery drivers that did this damage how can i do this ? i cant they interviewed the driver's and they denied it all.

they picked the tv up 18th of september all i want is a refund and i get blanked saying they admit there is internal damage to the tv caused by impact but they want me to prove that i didnt do it so after waiting months for delivery blatently lied to im now without a tv and £2000 out of pocket.

trading standards wont help they just send you a stupid booklet
    and too busy for anyone to talk on the phone.

credit card company likewise basicly they say im lucky if i will get my money back hmmmmmmmm this really does suck iim without money or a tv.

Andrew jubb

5. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus, it sounds like a nightmare.

I've already signed my able2buy agreement with them, however due the postal strikes it's not arrived with them yet. Maybe I can try and cancel the order and get the TV elsewhere.

I like the fact Panther get Toshiba to deliver and install the TV.

6. EnTiTy

EnTiTy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nightmare it's unbelievable a company can get away with this.

7. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so are they refusing to give you a refund on the basis they are trying to claim you broke it?

shame about your CC company, i had a problem like this before and my CC refunded me the amount in full, then sued the company for the money.

as per trading standards, they are useless :(

8. EnTiTy

EnTiTy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im disabled so id like to see them acuse me of doing the damage myself.

what it is i complained about the damage they did to my property, and they want pictures.

I dont have a camera and no way am i going to buy one to take pictures of the damage it was not my fault in the first place why should it cost me.

They were willing to send an engineer out to fix the tv they are not toshiba engineer's either another reason i refused because my warranty would be shot with toshiba, toshiba also confirmed this.

so they will send an engineer to look at the tv but not one to look at the damage.

after they picked the tv backup i said i dont care about the damage i just want the tv replaced or a refund they still say to this day no they want picture's and basicly acused me of causing the damage.

i talked to andy banks and was told they need proof and need it to prove the delivery men caused the damage if they didnt it only leaves me to blame thats.
    the words that were put to me over the phone numerous times

i just keep being led in circles and have been without a tv or money, i forgot to add they took the money on the day of purchase which ive also had to pay intrest so i payed a months intrest before i even recieved the good's

it really looks like my only option is to take them to court its the only option i have left.
    Andrew

9. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    That is beyond a joke mate, I feel for you.

I think you have no option but to keep plugging away at them.

They took your money and have the tv so they have to do something.

10. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd defiantly be taking them to court at this point. End of the day you've paid your money and have not received your goods. (in a working condition)

In fact as far as I know, with distance selling regulations you have 7/14 days to reject new items in exchange for a full refund.

I must admit one thing I’ve noticed when reading my finance agreement with able2buy is that they do not release the payment to empire until deliver is confirmed.

I really do feel sorry for you, I’m all to aware of the nightmare in trying to sort these things out.

11. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading empires own T&C's and noticed this

Faulty Returns – Dead on Arrival.
    A product is deemed to be ‘dead on arrival’ if it shows symptoms of hardware failure preventing basic operation upon its first use out of the box. In such instances please contact our customer support helpline within 7 days from the delivery date. You can then either return the faulty item directly yourself or we will organise a collection from your home. Upon receipt of the goods and confirmation of the fault by our technical engineers you will be offered the following options:

1. A replacement – this item will be shipped to you at our own expense.
    2. A repair – the repaired item will be shipped to you at our own expense. Please note that once repaired the product is no longer eligible for replacement.
    3. A full refund – provided the item has been verified faulty and is complete with all accessories in its original box and packaging.

so in their own terms mean they have to give you a full refund because your set was infact DOA (even if it was killed by the deliver guys)

Worth pointing it out to them :)

12. sjewson

sjewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone ordered and received their toshiba 42PW23P recently?

Surely this practice is false advertising, misleading and downright devious to state goods are in stock and then to have to order the TV from Tosh based on us wanting one and them not having it in stock.

13. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how long have you been waiting now sjewson?

14. EnTiTy

EnTiTy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is down right devious they are well trained in the art of making exuses.

and saying they have goods in stock when they dont is down right stupid.

have you heard this one yet ? we will have stock wednesday.

apparently there terms and conditions dont apply to me they have other policy's as i have been told, not on the web site and they need proof it was the delivery guys that did the damage before they will refund. they simply wont take my word for it ive asked them loads of times how do i prove it and still dont get an answer to that.

when i phoned up first to complain i was told i would need to get intouch with the company that delivered the goods before i could get a replacement or refund.

because empire direct didnt deliver the tv a contract company did.

i went on empire direct did deliver the tv how come they had on t shirts with the empire direct logo, they said no your wrong it took them a week to find out that it was infact them that delivered the tv and blamed it on there delivery guys for not putting it on the customer servicesd computer's.

all advice welcome at this point but how can you win against a company that runs circles round everything even there own terms and conditions.

they clearly dont abide by the terms set down by law and skirt around them all the time.
    Andrew

15. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided to give EmpireDirect a miss, and go with panther. I'm just not in the mood to walk into what seems to be impending doom with ED.

As far as I know, they can't skip around the distance selling regulations. It's your right to refuse an item in exchange for a full refund up to 7 days after it's arrived if you've either not used it, It's DOA, or has a fault.

I know trading standards are often useless but tbh, this is so clearly wrong they should do something.

16. EnTiTy

EnTiTy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive told them my rights and they simply work round them with there own supposed policy that's why my last resort is to take them to court all i wanted was a working tv or my money back and i have neither.
    Andrew

17. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shame you have to go thru the hassle of taking them to court. Keep us posted as to how you get on.

18. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sjewson, you had any luck yet?

I switched from emprie to panther and it seems no faster. One week since payment was taken and i'm still waiting for my call from toshiba to confirm. Infact i've had no calls/email's from them apart from to say the order has been accepted.

been almost 4 weeks since I first tried to buy one of these TV's. I am starting to think i'll never get one.

19. sjewson

sjewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to let you all know I am meant to be getting the Tosh delivered sometime today. Guess what, they give me a nice small window to wait in to receive it - 7am - till 5pm !

42PW23 ordered Oct 3rd - delivered Nov 10th. The next misison is to see if the TV is OK

20. EnTiTy

EnTiTy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    glad your getting it in the end just watch the delivery drivers like an hawk :) .
    EnTiTy

21. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a call to say mine is comming wed, I also have that nice huge timeslot :)

22. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You had any luck yet with empire ?

23. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did it turn up ? :)
    :confused:

24. EnTiTy

EnTiTy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope but looks like the credit card company are getting there backside's in gear i dont have to make payment on the tv they have froze it and no intrest is incurring.

so its upto me now to send a letter to empire's complaints department and manager if i get no reply then the cc is going to fight my case.
    EnTiTy