1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42PW23P Tips?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nathan_silly, Jan 12, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just plumped out for a new Toshiba 42PW23P (£1100)

I've never had a RPTV before (just direct view 28" Widescreen)

What tips, tricks & warnings etc can you guys give me?

Is the 9 point convergence usually good enough? I have component outputs on the DVD player- what 3M component cables would you recommend?

Thanks
    Nathan

2. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

I have just returned from hols and have replied to your email as follows.

42wt29

I am returning the TV to Empire Direct today, the convergence on this TV is manual and I find that every ten hours or so I have to manually reset it, it is a pain.

Also, the far right hand side of the TV is noticeably darker than the rest, this may just be a feature of my TV, but again it's not something I can live with.

It took the issue of a county court summons to get Empire to take notice of my complaints having telephoned and written twice to them. They did send out an engineer once but he simply reset the convergence using the remote, which is what I had done.

I am really peed off about having to return the TV, feature wise it is near perfect.

Wayne

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like another :( customer from that company you mentioned- I got it from Unbeatable.

I'll inspect the picture- if there are any flaws it's going back.

Apart from the convergence memory loss and darker right hand side was the picture good?

Does anyone know is SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) is enabled by default? And the easiest way to disable it- read you can disconnect power lead to the SVM board...

Nathan

4. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Apart from the convergence problem, the main gripe is that the picture is noticeably darker for about 8 inches on the right hand side.

On a white background the right hand side looks a lot like the colour of an old sepia photograph. It is impossible to correct the convergence on this side of the screen no matter how you try.

Basically you get 9 white "+" signs around the edge of the TV, underneath the white + signs are separate blue and red + signs, using the up down and left right buttons on the remote you in turn position the blue and red + signs under the white + sign, in effect out of sight.

In the centre of the screen is a huge white + sign, you attempt the same process with this one too. However, it is impossible to make the red and blue + signs dissapear under the white + signs completely.

The convergence problem is undoubtedly the reason for the dark colour on the right hand side of the screen.

However, the rest of the picture is damn near perfect and the IDTV reception is worth the price of the TV alone. I am sure that a competent engineer could repair this TV, this would be my preferred choice because as I said before, feature wise I couldn't get better.

Wayne

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm quite happy for an engineer to attempt this, but ....... It's not something I want to attempt myself.

Wayne

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the Tosh 42wh18b. That too had the darl right hand side. Very annoying. I had an engineer look at it. He went itno menus etc, faffed on with convergence and he could not get rid of it. Then the tv developed a sort of flicker every now and then. It was then they replaced it for a sony 44px2. great set

hth
    shaun