Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba 42PW23P rear projection

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bigsinky, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bigsinky

bigsinky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying one of these as they are down to below £1k. Does anyone have one of these and if so can i have your opinions. i have seen rear projection screens before and found them grainy, but when i saw this one with a dvd as source it looked real good. the DVD was connected via scart, so i assume that if i link my dvd player up with the composite connection to the back of the tv the picture will be even better.

What is the picture like on $ky for example. on some of the more compressed channel does it look crap or is it ok.

Anyone have any other opinions, bearing in mind that this is now a sub £1k tv.

cheers

big sinky

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I have one of the 50WT29B Toshiba's,and the picture quality once adjusted from the default settings is superb.....highly recommended.

3. bigsinky

bigsinky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTTT

Anyone else got any views/recommendations they want to share on this set?

cheers

big sinky

4. bandy

bandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've had mine for six months now and am deighted with it, the better the source material put into this the better the picture is, if some of the sky channels are grainy then they will look poor on any tv imo. do a search on how best to set this tv up once it has settled down after a few weeks. i would also recommend buying the stand it looks much nicer but takes a while to get used to. my wife was not to pleased when this monster arrived but would not part with it for the world now.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've written quite a bit about this set. Do a search for "nathan_silly" and "42PW23P"

I own this set, and have performed lots of tweaks.

I can recommend this set... 99.9% perfect geometry (once adjusted in service menu), compared to awful geometry on a 36" direct view. Just put on a Region 1 DVD via Component and show off to a couple of Plasma owners :)

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan - I remain currently undecided on the same RPTV you have, a 32" CRT, or just saying 'To Hell' with CRT and buying a front projector...

Which would you recommend - bearing in mind I'll only be using R2 PAL/japanese NTSC Discs???

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it depends on several things..

Budget- if £1000 is your limit (regardless of what you want) you're limited to a 32" CRT direct view, 42PW23P or a cheap LCD PJ. Can you find a 32" that has correctable, individual gun geometry & convergence like a CRT RP/CRT FP? I doubt it. For me that rules out the direct view straight away. LCD grey level/pixel death/bulb heat/fan noise/heat soak- rules out LCD PJ for me.

High-end budget- if you're willing to fork out extra for a high quality display; then a CRT Front Projection is worth the extra over the 42PW23P- although you'll need space for the thing, and be prepared to pay extra for screen, fitting, proper installation & calibration.

Flicker- Myself, brother and a mate can spot 50hz PAL flicker via Region 2 PAL DVD's, although for normal TV it's stable. NTSC DVD's are stable with no flicker.. so if you can see flicker on this set (and your DVD collection comprises of 50hz material) I would consider the 100hz sets, although these could introduce 100hz problems.

Space- Unless you have floorspace the RP can be a bit tricky to locate- a Plasma or Front Projection is easier in this regard. Also the location of the centre would need a bit of head scratching (either place it in front of the RP on a small speaker stand, or buy a wallmounting L shaped mounting bracket, and fix above the RP) The top of the RP is very slim- about 2"; not deep enough and certainly not strong enough for my 11kg Kef 200.

Weight/moving. The 42PW23P is quite heavy (close to 50kg) so if you're planning on moving up the stairs - You'll really need to take it apart- it makes it easier to handle (take screen off/back panel with mirror) as you REALLY don't want to scratch the screen against the wall on the way up!

Technical skill level- a CRT RP/CRT FP requires quite a bit of skill from the owner (to get the best out of it) You must know how a CRT projection system works.. ie electron path (electronic focus); optical focus, convergence, geometry, hazardous voltage etc. You must be comftable going into service menu every now and then to do initial convergence/geometry, and every so often to touch it up.

Overall, this set produces better picture than my other 28" CRT's.. certainly not any worse. If it was crap I would say so.. but it's not. There are some minor quibbles with the set (Red Push, slight Schempluge on Blue, interlaced artifacts) but apart from that- I'm very happy with this set and would recommend it.

One example- in Monsters Inc you see detail that is not reproduced on a 28" or with a digital camera- ie Sully's fur, Mike's reptile skin, abdomanble fur. If I take a photo it'll blur this fine detail. I would say the RP is pretty close to a PC monitor; barring it being interlaced (some jaggies & NTSC judder- although jaggies are only noticeable at less than 1.5M viewing distance, and NTSC judder -to me- seems very slight).. and considering it's several times larger is no mean feat. Until Progressive & HDTV is the standard- it's a good product. You could buy a RP soon with Progressive... but it won't be HDTV, so you'll probably want to upgrade (again).. IMO I'll be keeping my RP until NTSC & PAL Progressive & HDTV set's are standard and a few generations old (so hopefully any bugs will be sorted out by that time)

I have a 800K snapshot; but it really doesn't do the set justice. Perhaps you could ask a forum member to let you have a demo?

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan - Curry's have said they'll let me take my own DVD player in and hook it up to whatever TV I'm interested in, and they have the 42PW23P in store (I Think, it may be the ZT29 100hz model).

I've already done this with 36" CRT Direct View TVs and the geometry issues were driving me up the wall, especially with objects against bright backgrounds, but image quality was still V good indeed.

I had a quick demo of Smurfin's PLV-Z1 LCD projector a few days ago and whilst I could see pixelation and lack of black depth, it didn't drive me completely up the wall, and the size of the image was sheer joy...

But there-in lies the rub, I can't use the Z1 or any LCD as a replacement for a TV (realistically), and 28" Screen size will drive me insane - so the 42PW23P seemed like the best compromise, were it not for the 50hz issue and the fact that it doesn't accept de-interlaced images.

I'll be using it with a Denon DVD2800MKII which isn't updated for PAL Progressive and until I get the firmware to do so directly from Denon I won't be, but I'd like to explore NTSC Progressive with Japanese R2 discs - but then again the Tosh doesn't accommodate it.

Hence if I were to buy the Tosh I'd simply stick to using PAL discs - and my eyes are proned to 50hz flicker, and 100hz artefacts are just too visible for me to live with.

It's looking like the only option is to spend more and buy both a CRT 32" Direct view and Projector, which isn't ideal as I'm still at college...

The Plot Thickens

9. snazzy

snazzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nathan or anybody else really,not used the forum before so im not too sure if im in the right place but im sure i'll find out.So forgive me all if im discussing a problem with my tv in the middle of a review of cat food. Here goes.I noticed a few reviews going on with regards to the toshiba 42PW23P rear projection televisions.Well i have one of these in silver and they are in my opinion value for money the price has gone down so much in the last few years and i still think they rival the plasmas and lcds on picture quality.It looks great sounds great.Absoloutely perfect for gaming.Which is the reason for my visit.I love my rear projection but have just developed a Wii problem!! Any bells ringing. Yes you guessed it,the screen has developed 2 cracks :oops:near the top and nobody knows how it happened or who did it.Adults and children alike get so excited playing the wii games and occassionally 'forget' to use the straps provided to prevent incidents like this from occurring.You dont see a warning on the wii console boxes either.Well anyway the wimotes or numchucks have gone flying through the air here and i cannot find a replacement screen anywhere.I am well out of warranty too.I came across a review somewhere and have since been unable to find it again.This was discussing large tv screen protectors/shields for gaming.These were made from clear plastic that hooked over and did not detract from viewing experience.Does anybody know where i can get one of these or a new screen for my toshiba 42Pw23P that wont cost the earth.Wii play is on pause until i find a solution.The cracks are small , first one is about an inch long and the other about 2 inch but i just know that if anything else was to knock it the whole screen might go.Somebody even suggested an injection of some clear liquid repair solution that binds the crack like what they use on cracks in car windscreens but i cant see the RAC coming out to repair my tv screen.I would appreciate any suggestions as i do love my rear projection but not only that i dont particularly want to be shopping for a new tv every couple of months.:lease:any suggestions

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hopefully someone here may have some help for you,but unfortunately you've exhumed a five year old thread,initially replied to by 2 persons who are no longer members!

11. PhilLello

PhilLello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Replacement screens seem to be around £100-£200, I came accross this price a couple of days ago while trying to find a replacement digital convergence module for the 42PW23P I was recently given. I can only find the more expensive websites for screens at the mo, which all seem to be part of http://www.partmaster.co.uk

I've seen more recent wii controllers come in rubberised cases to reduce the damage they cause when hurled into the TV, these can be picked up fairly cheaply on eBay, I've seen one 6-pack for £5.50 inc P&P

You might be able to buy a large sheet of clear perspex from a local DIY store, and hang this over the front of the TV to protect it. Bit of a bodge, but better than buying a new TV every few months!