1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42PW23 Stand

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by UndeadCretin, Dec 16, 2002.

1. UndeadCretin

UndeadCretin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an RPTV next month and from reading various forums and opinions, it seems the Toshiba 42PW23 looks like a good choice. The only concern I have is with regards to space for DVD, Sky box and VCR. I haven't had the chance to actually view the model yet, so I was wondering if there is any room to store these underneath. Does it as standard come with a stand/cabinet at the bottom?

I understand a lot of people have their AV equipment at the side, but I do not really have a lot of room. I saw a Samsung with a cabinet at the bottom and something like that would be ideal.

Thanks for any advice,

Jamie

2. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the samsung is an LCD model and so there isn't so much stuff under the TV itself (as it doesn't have to accomodate the CRTs). You can buy an additional cabinet to go under the toshiba but it will raise the height a lot and may not be in eye level anymore.

This pic should give you an idea.

Attached Files:

3. UndeadCretin

UndeadCretin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the information. The Samsung was actually a CRT but it seems to have a somewhat smaller base than the Toshiba. That cabinet looks exactly what I'm after, but like you say it could make the TV a little high. Does anyone have the cabinet on the Toshiba and can comment on the additional height? I will be watching from a fairly standard slumped in the sofa position.

I've seen the TV on www.prcdirect.co.uk for about 1100 delivered and it states "cabinet supplied". I have sent an email to make sure that it really does include the stand you have shown in the picture as I'm a little dubious about the description (No reply as of yet). Anyone know of an alternative place to get the TV complete with stand?

4. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. UndeadCretin

UndeadCretin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Once again thanks for the info. I did a search on the topic but somehow didn't manage to see that thread, it was very useful. I take it you bought the TV in the end without the cabinet? I presume you are happy with it.

regards,

Jamie

6. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually I didn't buy it. I was all set on it and then my finances changed and I had to hold off on the purchase. Now my money is sorted out again and I am thinking what to buy but cannot decide between a 36 inch crt (about 1200 ish now I think), a 42 inch RP for about the same price or a 42 inch plasma (3k ish but I'd get it on credit of some sort).

A friend as a sony RP and although it looks fantastic if you sit in the right place it looks terrible if you are at slightly the wrong height. That and the size of the thing is putting me off as I have no space to put the receiver/dvd player etc. Plasmas are so nice but just so expensive. If I can get a 36 inch crt for a little over a grand I think that is what I will go for. Due to it's position in the room there will be no reall advantage to having a shallow TV.

Good luck with yours though.

7. Radish

Radish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.... got the Toshiba 42wt29 with the stand as in the picture above and have been very pleased with it.... the stand hides my video, dvd and sky box away with not a wire in sight. The picure is spot on thru sky but not as hot on our dodgy analogue connection...

Yes,the stand does raise the set a bit but it hasn`t affected the viewing angle of the TV one bit, we have quite a low sofa and no probs at all.

BTW got my set from robertsons delivered and installed by toshiba with a `free` dvd and video player thrown in....... chuffed to bits with it