TOSHIBA 42AV635DB settings???

roadwarrior94

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me any good settings they have for this tv.
Out of the box the colours dont seem right, just wondered if anyone else had this tv?

Anyone got one of these tvs?
What is the general thought on them?

I've got one of these on order, does anyone have any recommended settings?

:)

come on people

SOMEONE must have one of these TV's?? Got mine arriving tomorrow and apart from being a lil bit colour blind I'm proper crap at calibrating stuff :D

After a week of tweaking here are my settings on the 37RV635DB for SD.

Backlight - 75
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 17
Colour - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - minus 4

3D colour management - on
Colour Temp - 8
Black/white level - 5
Static gamma - 0
MPEG/DNR - Middle
Auto brightness - off (it's dims the screen too much)
Resolution + - on (level5)
Cinema mode - off

Try those and let me know how you get on with them!

I do find though that some of the advanced settings either do nothing or little to the picture. Either that or I have a dodgy set!

Backlight - 75
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 17
Colour - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - minus 4

Colour Temp - 8
Black/white level - 5
Static gamma - 0
MPEG/DNR - Middle
Cinema mode - off

I do find though that some of the advanced settings either do nothing or little to the picture. Either that or I have a dodgy set!

cheers :)

prolly won't be able to report back until Saturday but will let you know my thoughts/findings...

Backlight - 75
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 17
Colour - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - minus 4

Colour Temp - 8
Black/white level - 5
Static gamma - 0
MPEG/DNR - Middle
Cinema mode - off

...tell me to keep my nose out but normally backlight and brightness are different to your settings....

backlight normally should be set low...40-50 and brightness seems way to low compared to other toshiba,s.....

and on all other toshiba's the picture has been better with black/white off..

might just be newer screen tho.........but i would try backlight at 40ish and brighness at 40 - 50...........if i am wrong i'll shut up..:thumbsup:

Brightness goes minus 50 to plus 50 on the RV635. 17 (nearly 3/4's) is about right for me, anything higher and it looks washed out.

I can't turn the black/white level off, the only option is 1 to 10. It's one of the settings that doesn't appear to do much to the picture at either end so I've opted for half way.

got my TV Friday and all seems well, although I can't seem to get and display information up? When I press the "i" button the TV just displays what input I am on (eg HDMI1) and not the resolution (eg 720p, 1080p, etc) is this normal?? Also seem to be getting judder on 1080p24 blurays, I have enabled 24p on my PS3 do I need to enable anything on the TV?

got my TV Friday and all seems well, although I can't seem to get and display information up? When I press the "i" button the TV just displays what input I am on (eg HDMI1) and not the resolution (eg 720p, 1080p, etc) is this normal?? Also seem to be getting judder on 1080p24 blurays, I have enabled 24p on my PS3 do I need to enable anything on the TV?

i don't think they show the resolution.....mine doesn't and previous toshiba's didn't.

.....24p playback on mine is ok, not perfect.....i believe some tv's handle it better than others...mine is 24p compatible which doesn't mean it plays it back perfectly....

Brightness goes minus 50 to plus 50 on the RV635. 17 (nearly 3/4's) is about right for me, anything higher and it looks washed out.

I can't turn the black/white level off, the only option is 1 to 10. It's one of the settings that doesn't appear to do much to the picture at either end so I've opted for half way.

..ahh i see......they have changed the settings from the previous model..

i'll shut up now...:)

Does the AV model have Cinema Mode? If so switch it on.

..ahh i see......they have changed the settings from the previous model..

i'll shut up now...:)

No problems I'm all ears on ideas on how to get the best picture :)

Backlight - 75
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 17
Colour - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - minus 4

Colour Temp - 8
Black/white level - 5
Static gamma - 0
MPEG/DNR - Middle
Cinema mode - off

I found the same thing with the Auto brightness dimming too much so..
Go to the advanced settings for auto backlight and you'll see a graph like table you can alter.
Across the X axis is light levels as measured by the front sensor (dark room on left going to bright room on right).
Along the Y axis is the backlight setting for each light level.
If you find the auto dims to much in dark rooms then select the left most 'channels' and nudge up the backlight to the level you like.
Not the easiest thing to describe in words. Should make sense when you have that menu option on screen. Any problems let me know and I'll post a pic of the menu in question later when at home.

I found the same thing with the Auto brightness dimming too much so..
Go to the advanced settings for auto backlight and you'll see a graph like table you can alter.
Across the X axis is light levels as measured by the front sensor (dark room on left going to bright room on right).
Along the Y axis is the backlight setting for each light level.
If you find the auto dims to much in dark rooms then select the left most 'channels' and nudge up the backlight to the level you like.
Not the easiest thing to describe in words. Should make sense when you have that menu option on screen. Any problems let me know and I'll post a pic of the menu in question later when at home.

..damn, thats a clever idea...i like the auto backlight idea ie make sure black levels and detail is kept in dark scenes BUT i find its a bit OTT in its application.......i wish i could halve the intensity of it...looks like u can on the new sets.......although i find auto contrast does a similar kind of job........wonder if i can change it on mine in the service menu??...anyone know how to get into the service menu?

Last edited:
Does the AV model have Cinema Mode? If so switch it on.

Cinema Mode is greyed out but ON when using HDMI on the PS3, after messing around last night I've found that turning 24p off on the PS3 and using 60hz seems smoother to me. It's not a big issue as I couldn't really see the judder on my previous non-24p plasma

Does anyone know what the the numbers next to only some programs in the EPG mean? Typically something like 15 or 40 or similar. Doesn't refer to the program time or how long until it starts. Can't see any reference to them in the user manual (full one from the Tosh website).

Cinema Mode is greyed out but ON when using HDMI on the PS3, after messing around last night I've found that turning 24p off on the PS3 and using 60hz seems smoother to me. It's not a big issue as I couldn't really see the judder on my previous non-24p plasma

..all cinema mode does is stabilize the picture slightly and reduce jagged edges if needed.

its nothing to do with 24fps etc.......

its most noticable if watch the end credits on a film...if cinema mode is off then sometimes the text "wobbles" a bit...but with it on its completely smooth.

it also only works when it recognises "film" code and not interfere with normal "TV" broadcasts.

Does anyone know what the the numbers next to only some programs in the EPG mean? Typically something like 15 or 40 or similar. Doesn't refer to the program time or how long until it starts. Can't see any reference to them in the user manual (full one from the Tosh website).

That scratches my noodle too :devil:

Sussed the mystery numbers..
If a program doesn't start on the hour in the planner then the number in the box is how many mins past the hour it starts.

We just got the 46" version and while the picture is gobsmackingly crystal clear from BD, it does seem very dark. Watching Pathfinder last night which okay is a noirish style film, but the daylight scenes in the Indian village and later in the mountains looked like they were filmed at twilight.

Will try the settings earlier in the thread but I guess now we know why this set is rather cheaper (in all sizes) than its competitors!

Try the settings quoted from Jaded1 and my suggestion about altering the auto backlight control settings in post 14. Made a big difference when I boosted the lower light level settings.

Does anyone have any updated thoughts regarding picture settings for this set ? Got one coming tomorrow so any advice is appreciated. :)

Nope, but I just noticed that this thread is for the xxAV635DB settings and I've added some info earlier. However I have the RV635 which is the full HD panel not the AV635. Ooops. :rolleyes:

Nope, but I just noticed that this thread is for the xxAV635DB settings and I've added some info earlier. However I have the RV635 which is the full HD panel not the AV635. Ooops. :rolleyes:

The 42AV635 is Full HD, the 37AV and 32AV are not, so your help on the auto backlight stuff will probably come in handy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom