Toshiba 42AV635DB 50hz motion blur advice

goodevil

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been saving up for years to buy a screen for my xbox360, I currently have a old 28" crt that is not wide screen and its getting increasing hard to shoot bad guys!

I have about £500 but am willing to add a little more if it’s worth it. Firstly I want something bigger, about 42” I have read alot on this forum about LCDs good for gaming as I will be mostly playing games. I will be watching the odd film over the download service and some freeview. I would quite like 1080p cos I will eventually get some Full HD input as I think the xbox rarely outputs at the full res.

My main question is I want to ask you experts about the hz of an LCD and how much effect it really has on this motion blur malarkey. Is there much difference between the 50hz and 100hz on LCDs

I have narrowed it down to the Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB from Amazon for £479... But this only has 50hz I see the newer version with 100hz which is the Toshiba 42XV635DB I can get this for about £80 once I have used some vouchers on comet.

Any advice would be great, I am so close to finally getting a nice screen I just can’t get my head around this final bit. Any other suggestions of screens would also be great.

Thanks.

I think I rambled...

I should of asked.

Does anyone know the difference between 50hz and 100hz in the terms of motion blur?

Is it real? or is it marketing speek?

It depends on the manufacturer.

I bought my 37" LCD nearly 2 years ago in good time for the Beijing Olympics. I originally bought a 40" 100Hz model from a top line manufacturer - nice picture except when things started to move when everything started to look synthetic/plastic - anyway not right. I sent it back under DSR and fortunately got a full refund. (Perhaps on the promise I would buy another TV from them.) I went round the few stores where they had a decent range of inputs on a variety of TV's and would let you play with the settings.

You did not need sport to decide what was best. A panning shot with (tree/bush)leaves in the middle to foreground was a big tell tale. I ended up buying a Panasonic which at the time most definitely had the best motion handling by far as a virtue of their 100 Hz implementation. However it may be that other manufacturers have now caught up in respect of the frame interpolation required by this technology???

I have never regreted this purchase although it was at the top end of the price bracket.

I am a big footy fan and today watched both Villa v Everton and Bolton v Arsenal and my viewing was never spoilt by motion handling - it looked perfectly natural.

An LCD no matter what refresh rate it uses 50/100/200/600 etc the pixels physically still have to change to show the picture changing and hence movement so there is no real way of getting away from it...

Sure they can employ 'engines' to cheat but this ends up making the detail worst and can make the picture look like its actually fast forwarding when it isnt.

if you want a picture that doesnt blur then there is only one choice if you want a flat screen....A Plasma ...as they are basically just flat CRT screens they dont suffer in the same way as LCDs and you will also benefit from 50+ years of development of phosphors to show a picture so you get a decent colour balance excellent blacks and a natural smooth image.

If you dont believe me go and see a plasma running and make the decision yourself but dont let the man in the pub and the idiot in the electrical store put you off plasmas they have many benefits...

An LCD no matter what refresh rate it uses 50/100/200/600 etc the pixels physically still have to change to show the picture changing and hence movement so there is no real way of getting away from it...

Sure they can employ 'engines' to cheat but this ends up making the detail worst and can make the picture look like its actually fast forwarding when it isnt.

if you want a picture that doesnt blur then there is only one choice if you want a flat screen....A Plasma ...as they are basically just flat CRT screens they dont suffer in the same way as LCDs and you will also benefit from 50+ years of development of phosphors to show a picture so you get a decent colour balance excellent blacks and a natural smooth image.

If you dont believe me go and see a plasma running and make the decision yourself but dont let the man in the pub and the idiot in the electrical store put you off plasmas they have many benefits...

Whilst I believe that Panasonic Plasmas are very good and today even better I decided just under 2 years ago that no plasma would survive daylight viewing in my lounge that has large windows to an eastern, particularly southern, and western aspects with the TV on the northern wall. My Panasonic LCD does!

(late edit :- On further thoughts PDPs also looked generally soft to me they were I believe mostly 720x1024?? My concurrent Panasonic LCD was a 1080x1920)

You have never obviously viewed a Panasonic 100HZ LCD - you would then realise that the motion handling is not an attribute of Plasma/LCD but Panasonic technology applied to both display systems.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom