Toshiba 40XF355D - problem?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Dr James, Jan 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Dr James

Dr James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?

I purchased a new Toshiba 40XF355D LCD TV on saturday. I am generally very pleased with it, however, when I am viewing things with a dark screen there are lighter patches in each corner. This looks like light leaking through from behind.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does this seem unusual? I am not v knowledgeable about these things!

Many thanks

James

2. THE-FOULMOUTHED-ONE

THE-FOULMOUTHED-ONE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you got any pictures , could be clouding or bleeding problem

3. morettat

morettat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seems to be a common problem with these TVs, but if you search the Forums you should find advice on how to improve it, I think by turning the brightness down on one of the menus.

4. alanrg

alanrg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Help !

My Regza 40XF355D is just over a year old, i now notice on one side of the screen there is a vertical band (approx 100mm) that is slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. This is very distracting when watching any sport.

Have you heard of this before and if so how best is it sorted ???

Regards

AG

5. Waddler

Waddler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've just registered simply to post this reply.

I've had the identical experience. Literally identical. It first started a month ago and I convinced myself it was no big deal. Then it got worse and the mrs pointed it out. Then I could look at nothing else and it really spoilt th experience for me. I then showed it to my neighbour who told me that he couldn't believe I was putting up with it as it would do his head in!

I called John lewis who were awesome, a chap arrived the next day from a local firm they use, told me he the problem would really annoy him too and that I was doing the right thing sending it back.

So now the bad news. That was last Saturday and today the shop fixing it told me (after I pressed them) that the screen had failed and they needed to contact Toshiba to get a new one. I told John Lewis this and asked for a temorary replacement which they were happy to provide next week.

Toshiba then told the shop or John Lewis (I'm not sure which but that doesn't matter) that they no longer make or keep those screens so the TV is effectively dead. John Lewis then rang me this afternoon saying that even though I paid them £1000 for the TV it's current value is £800 and they will give me any TV to that value or allow me to chip in and make up the difference on a more expensive set.

I'm gutted as it was a beautiful set and I just loved it - plus it was really compact. If anything it looked better off than on! And a new TV will cost me unless I get something with 12month old spec - a long time in TV world.

I'm now torn between the John Lewis version of the Sony 40W5710 and the Samsung LE40A856s but I'm really sorry about your probem and really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just hope yours is still in warranty.

6. Waddler

Waddler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've just registered simply to post this reply.

I've had the identical experience to the band of lighter colour down the side. It was the same picture just seemingly without a filter - just brighter than the rest of the screen. SO annoying. It first started a month ago and I convinced myself it was no big deal. Then it got worse and the mrs pointed it out. Then I could look at nothing else and it really spoilt th experience for me. I then showed it to my neighbour who told me that he couldn't believe I was putting up with it as it would do his head in!

I called John lewis who were awesome, a chap arrived the next day from a local firm they use, told me he the problem would really annoy him too and that I was doing the right thing sending it back.

So now the bad news. That was last Saturday and today the shop fixing it told me (after I pressed them) that the screen had failed and they needed to contact Toshiba to get a new one. I told John Lewis this and asked for a temorary replacement which they were happy to provide next week.

Toshiba then told the shop or John Lewis (I'm not sure which but that doesn't matter) that they no longer make or keep those screens so the TV is effectively dead. John Lewis then rang me this afternoon saying that even though I paid them £1000 for the TV it's current value is £800 and they will give me any TV to that value or allow me to chip in and make up the difference on a more expensive set.

I'm gutted as it was a beautiful set and I just loved it - plus it was really compact. If anything it looked better off than on! And a new TV will cost me unless I get something with 12month old spec - a long time in TV world.

I'm now torn between the John Lewis version of the Sony 40W5710 and the Samsung LE40A856s but I'm really sorry about your probem and really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just hope yours is still in warranty.

As for the light bleeding from the four corners in the original post I'm afraid you are stuck with it. it's to do with the metal around the outside of the frame and the light repflecting off that inside apparently apparently. I remeber a thread on it when I joined.

That's two lots of bad news. Sorry.

7. alanrg

alanrg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply, i have been dealing with Toshiba direct and the guy was great, he informed me they would come out take my TV away, repair it and return it all FOC. I am getting my HD fitted next week so i had to put him off until that is done.
    I now expect the same outcome as yourself but i will let you know.
    You are correct, it is the most fantastic looking unit out there, will be gutted also !!

8. The TV Engineer

The TV Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unfortunately This is a screen problem..
    The screens are not replaced.. The set will most likely be exchanged if still under warranty or close to warranty.
    Toshiba customer care is very very good though.

9. davidcharles

davidcharles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    ...i had same issue with 46xf set...they won't repair it....they don't make these screens anymore..

they told me mine was repairable, took it away and then contacted me a week later to say they could not repair it due to screens being obsolete.

i got an exchange for a 46xv555

10. alanrg

alanrg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - Toshiba can not repair Screen. Gave me a call reference number and told me to go back to where i bought the set (Comet) and pick a new TV to the same value. I added a little extra and i picked the Sony Bravia KDL-40w5500u. Quite pleased with Toshiba as the TV was 14 months old with no extended warrenty but this must be a known problem with this range of units.

Cheers for all help !!!!!!!1

11. badgerblack

badgerblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All.

My 40XF355D DTV tuner stopped working last week. The panel was out of warranty by 5 months. Toshiba asked for the serial number and issued a credit to us for our initial supplier, literally no questions asked.
    Toshiba and Crampton & Moore's customer service is first class.

Steve.

12. polyphemus11

polyphemus11
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Had the same problem start a couple of weeks ago. Used the advise on this forum page and contacted Toshiba. They confirmed the problem, set unrepairable, they said they would send me a letter with a ULC number (Uplift For Credit) to take to my supplier so they could get TV uplifted and give me a brand new replacement. This letter arrived 48 hours after contacting Tosh and Currys were brilliant:thumbsup:. Only problem my set was only worth £399 but hey, I bought the set in 2008, no extra guarantee, so pleased I now have a new TV, 3 years on. The specs are so much better now so new TV is better than the old one. Well done Toshiba:clap: