Toshiba 40TL868B VS SAMSUNG UE40D5520 VS LG 42LW550T

dealerstealer

before i start im sorry if the same question has been asked regarding the same tv sets,

right, i am after a new tv after giving my sharp lcd to a family member, the tv will be in my bedroom.

ideally looking at a 40/42

i, like most people, i am wanting the best value for money

i have seen alot of good reviews of the samsung UE40D5520 and the best price seems to be about £500 inc 5year warranty,

i then came across the toshiba 40TL868B bundle that includes the tv, 3d blueray player, and 12 months free lovefilm and 5 year warranty for £550

there are not alot of reviews of this set as its quite new, there is a user on here though who is experiencing a judder problem though?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1552839-toshiba-40tl868b-owners-thread.html

i seen the samsung and the toshiba side by side today on display and i didnt see any of it? also the toshiba looked more detailed whereas the samsung had deeper colours..

the toshiba deal seems like a no brainer but then you have to consider buying the active 3d glasses, and wifi dongle, probably an extra £100 in total

then i came across the LG 42LW550T, which has alot of good reviews and a passive 3d set. the cheapest i have seen it is £600 delivered with a standard 1 year warranty then you can claim £100 back if you are an sky customer..

it seems like a no brainer to get one of the 3d sets as they cost as much as the 2d set? 3d is not a priority for me but if it costs as much as a 2d set then why not?

i have got no idea on what to get..

i dont know much about tv's and would appreciate it if you could tell me your opinions and maybe alternatives :lease:

thanks

dealerstealer

its going to be in my room, mainly watching sky, and pc

ive had a panasonic 42g10 before then passed it on, it was a nice set but i fancied a change

the lg would hopefully cost £500 after cashback, not many fans of the toshiba on here then??..

dealerstealer

ive also come across the samsung 51" 3d plasma, ps51d550 for about £600

seems to have good reviews everywhere, only negative the reflective screen

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I know you fancy a change but the ST30 is quite an improvement over the G10 and RS do it for 500 now. Just thought it worth a mention. Only Samsungs to compete with Panasonic really are the D6900 and D8000 IMO.
You say PC, is this just games and movies?

Last edited:

dealerstealer

I know you fancy a change but the ST30 is quite an improvement over the G10 and RS do it for 500 now. Just thought it worth a mention. Only Samsungs to compete with Panasonic really are the D6900 and D8000 IMO.
You say PC, is this just games and movies?

just general surfing as i cant be bothered with a seperate display

when you say the d6900 and d8000, what panasonic set/s are you referring to?

also a seperate question, whats your verdict on the samsung ps51d550? seems like a lot of tv for the money?

dealerstealer

in terms of spec/peformance between the toshiba and the lg what is the better tv,

with the toshiba bundle costing £500 and the lg £600

vickster

Distinguished Member
I can imagine at this entry level they are very similar. Have you looked for reviews and owner feedback (main LCD or 3D sections, search function is useful)?

HDTV test has a 4* review for the Samsung but it's not 3D

Jarman

Standard Member
Sorry to bump up an old thread guys but I'm considering purchasing a tv and am torn between the Samsung UE40D5520 and LG 42LW550T.

The Samsung I will get for £450 and the LG £100 extra at £552.

Can u guys advice which one I shall get. Is it worth the extra £100? 3D was not even on my list until only recently. I don't really need it tho it will b nice to have it :)

Also the LG Internet how inferior is it to the Samsung?

In terms of picture quality who wins?

Thank u in advance

coolcol911

Standard Member
Also interested in both these models but where are you getting your prices from?? Both are a lot lower than I can find.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom