Toshiba 40TL868B Owners Thread

pixels

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm getting this new 3D TV on Friday, so thought I'd set up an owners thread to discuss optimal settings and general opinions on the set.

Feel free to let us know what you think, where you bought it, cheap prices or offers, where you bought your 3D glasses at good prices etc.

I got mine from Electrical Experience > Products for £487 delivered. I also will receive the Toshiba CX3200 3D Blu-Ray player and 12 month Lovefilm subscription (terms apply) as part of a Lovefilm/Toshiba promotion + a 5 year Toshiba Warranty.

Will report back with my initial thoughts and settings :smashin:

Baz

Hi Mate,

I've just bought the 46TL868B and am awaiting delivery... should be Monday hopefully, so i'll let you know what I think when it arrives!

I was wondering if you or anyone else knows where I can pick up a pair of 3D glasses for it and not pay through the roof?

It seems the only pair on the market are going for a minimum of £70

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

I'm getting this new 3D TV on Friday, so thought I'd set up an owners thread to discuss optimal settings and general opinions on the set.

Feel free to let us know what you think, where you bought it, cheap prices or offers, where you bought your 3D glasses at good prices etc.

I got mine from Electrical Experience > Products for £487 delivered. I also will receive the Toshiba CX3200 3D Blu-Ray player and 12 month Lovefilm subscription (terms apply) as part of a Lovefilm/Toshiba promotion + a 5 year Toshiba Warranty.

Will report back with my initial thoughts and settings :smashin:

Baz

Has it arrived? IS it any good?

Thanks

1st impessions...love the thin bezel. Having upgraded from a 32" which we thought at first was too big 6 years ago, I can say this 40" hardly looks any bigger in the room, whilst having a much bigger screen. Very smart looking set for a Toshiba!

Easy to set up buy haven't tinkered with the picture yet....seems a bit dark on out of the box settings.

Was watching some episodes of a programme from Sky+ last night, and on each one, every so often, I'd notice a white horizontal flash or tear appear for a split second. Not sure if this is caused by my sky HD box or the TV...but worrying all the same until I do some more watching.

Am I right in thinking that you only require the newer version of the HDMI cable for 3D broadcasts? Should this be OK with my existing HDMI cable fo normal viewing?

Am I right in thinking that you only require the newer version of the HDMI cable for 3D broadcasts? Should this be OK with my existing HDMI cable fo normal viewing?
No you are not right.
You do not need a "newer" version of HDMI cable.
There is no such thing.
You need a high speed HDMI cable and your old cable should be it.

No you are not right.
You do not need a "newer" version of HDMI cable.
There is no such thing.
You need a high speed HDMI cable and your old cable should be it.

That's fine, thanks for the info.

Just watched a different recording and noticed the same 'tearing' or white horizontal thin flash appears on the screen :confused:

It always appears in the lower half of the screen about a quarter of the way up, but only happes every 5 minutes or longer. Anyone any ideas what it could be other than a faulty TV?

Not managed to see the same thing happen when viewing a 'live' programme yet....

Hi, I have been looking at getting one of these, I have a 3 year old 42" Regaza and whilst not completly happy with the picture, it has been very reliable. One of the features I really like is it's Cinema aspect ratio, where it will stretch the picture, getting rid of the black lines at top and bottom of screen but still keeping the full wide screen picture.

I was wondering if this TV has the same thing? What are the aspect ratio features on it? Would really appreciate any feedback.

Currently watching Newcastle v Chelsea on SS2 and I have to say, the judder is making it almost unwatchable :(

Every couple of seconds the picture just seems to re-adjust itself or pause and start again within a split second....

Any settings to ease this issue, or is the TV going back because it's certainly spoiling my enjoyment.

Oh, and just to edit....it is doing the white jaggy flash across the screen every so often during Sky live broadcasts as well as recordings....not going well so far :(

Purchased this set a week or so ago but haven't had a chance to plug it in yet. It's an Xmas present for someone who has been around so it's been in hiding lol. Gonna plug it in today and check that everything is in working condition after reading this though. If not it may be sent back sadly. Will hopefully update with my results.

Not going to have the chance to test the 3D or regular tv part though only going to plug it into an xbox 360 just to give the picture a test and make sure there are no issues like your talking about.

Please update us as you test your set and if you find any solutions. Did you try changing it from 200Hz or anything like that. Maybe that is causing the tearing.

Also could you describe the judder a bit more so I know what to look for as well please. ill let you know if I come across any of this.

Oh, and just to edit....it is doing the white jaggy flash across the screen every so often during Sky live broadcasts as well as recordings....not going well so far :(
Baz, have you actualy watched anything in 3D yet ?

As it's an 'active' set that's one area I'd be most concerned about.

Toshiba tend to get rave reviews on their 'passive' TVs but I've yet to read any comments on their 'active' offerings.

Not watched anything in 3D yet, and probably won't for a good while yet.

The 'tearing' is happening about 2 inches from the bottom of the picture. It only happens for a split second and is like a white flicker from left to right. It happened more noticeably when watching a few episodes of Doc Martin we had on sky+, but I'm sure I saw it on Football live this afternoon, which incidentally, looked better on my 6 year old 32" LG LCD set.

There doesn't appear to be any setting at all to do with 200mhz, 100mhz or anything like that that I can find. Pretty basic picture settings to be honest.

Don't know if there's an engineer menu on this set but surely it shouldn't need it anyway.

I'm getting random horizontal flickers every so often during the Boro v Bristol game. Might have to try my sky+ box from the conservatory to rule out a dodgy Sky HD box.

Just checking back in to let you guys know that i've tested my unit for about 45 minutes on an Xbox 360 through HDMI at 1080p. I am VERY happy to report that I experienced none of the issues you listed in you posting OP. My unit's picture was impecable to be quite honest.

The colors were crisp and clear with no tearing or juddering of any kind. I tested the unit by first just navigating the 360's dashboard and then by booting up Skyrim which looked outstanding if maybe a little bit dark as you reported but that can be adjusted quite easily.

I played skyrim for around 20 minutes looking for any signs of a bad picture with nothing to report. The only issue I had was that because of the 200Hz all of the movement seemed sped up and faster/smoother than normal but you can adjust this as well I just did not have time to fiddle with any of the menu's.

I then exited the game and put on a 10 minute HD video that I had installed on the xbox and was once again extremely pleased with the results. Whites popped and faded to black seamlessly and I was happy to notice that their was very little backlight bleed around the corners which is a known issue with many edge lit LED tv's.

This video once again played through without a hitch. No jumping, juddering, flashing, or tearing to report.

The next test on the list was an extremely high pace game of Pac Man Evolved CE 2. This game can prove a test for any tv because of the high pace of the game and rapidly changing colors as many could attest to. This was played for the remainder of the 40 minute in whole adventure of mine. Once again i was happy to notice there was ZERO ghosting that I could notice.

Over all the TV seemed very sharp. The frame is nice, the bezel is very thing compared to my old Sony and Sammy. Their was little to no light bleed and the response time was extremely low, I certainly didn't notice any input lag even in Pac Man which is a very speedy quick reflex game.

Now I did not get to try this tv hooked up to my virgin media cable box but I cannot see why that would cause the picture to degrade any since it will be through HDMI as well. I also unfortunately did not et to test the 3D mode either because I'm still waiting on my set of glasses to come in the mail lol.

I wish I had more time to give a proper review after playing with the settings and maybe doing a color test but from what I could see in quick rundown with my own two eyes, this TV is an absolute STEAL at the price even without the 3D.

I'm sorry to hear your having issues with your set though and I would think about getting it exchanged just so you can try another unit and try to narrow the problems down.

best of luck mate I really hope everything works out for you in the end. :thumbsup:

I also have a rather annoying stuck green pixel just above where the 'n' in BBC One HD sign is....only 1 pixel, but noticeable and annoying now I have seen it!

It's going back....will try an exchange

Good luck once again mate. I really hope the next 1 is in working order for you :). If not there have been some decent deals going around on Passive LG's that are supposedly Full HD.

Just tested my Xbox 360 without any problem, now tested Sky HD in HDMI port 3 to see if I have a faulty HDMI port.

That's cool man. Let me know how that turns out because im worried now if my box would give the same issues, but let's hope not lol.

To me it sounds like at very worst it's just a defective unit or part. I plugged mine in HDMI 1. Didn't test any of the other ports though. Did you notice whether your games looked sped up at all when you tried the 360? It was really noticeable on mine and had me worried since you said you couldnt find the options to reduce the refresh rate.

It just looks odd when the screen is interpolating frames that aren't really there.

I played Forza 3 for a bit, and it just played as it did on my old TV as far as I can tell. I was mainly looking out for the weird tearing thing.

TV is doing same thing with Sky HD in HDMI3, so tomorrow I'll try my normal Sky+ box connected via scart.

I think the setting for refresh rate is called Active Vision in the menu...that's all I think it could be.

Just to let you know, the same fault appeared during viewing on the inbuilt Freeview tuner so it's not the Sky box to blame.

Emailed the company to ask for a swap out, will probably get an answer tomorrow.

Really hope they can sort it out for you man. let me know what the results are with the whole process. I only had just under and hour to test mine and I would like to know the process just incase mine does show a fault after it gets used at Xmas.

Really hope they can sort it out for you man. let me know what the results are with the whole process. I only had just under and hour to test mine and I would like to know the process just incase mine does show a fault after it gets used at Xmas.

If you bought from electricalexperience, then you just fill in an online form before being contacted by email by a Manager. I outlined the faults and said I'd accept an exchange that would be my preferred option, or a refund if necessary.

He said he'd arrange a swap out for tomorrow, which is really good service. Hope the replacement is better as the set seems to handle fast movement poorly (hoping this is a result of a faulty part :rolleyes:)

Will report back

Hi Mate,

I've just bought the 46TL868B and am awaiting delivery... should be Monday hopefully, so i'll let you know what I think when it arrives!

I was wondering if you or anyone else knows where I can pick up a pair of 3D glasses for it and not pay through the roof?

It seems the only pair on the market are going for a minimum of £70

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Did you get to try your TV?

I've got my replacement setup now and I'm sure I've seen this one do the same random split second flicker (it looks like the picture shifts slightly, but very quickly corrects itself, causing a 'split' or 'tear' effect right across th screen.

Either that, or this is just what these sets do and I should get used to it...

Need to hear more owners opinions as these sets are bought as hardly anyone has one yet :(

Really really hoping this is not the case. Maybe you should try calling Toshiba themself's to ask if this is a known issue or anything like that. One more question as well. have you tried any of the smart TV capabilities such as the iPlayer and what not. I too am looking for as many details as possible on this set up since I've only had 40 minutes or so to mess with mine. I really hope this isn't an Xmas present that has to go straight back to the shop :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom