1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 40PW13

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Caroline, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am seriously considering buying this rear projection TV as I have seen it for £1,279 with interest free credit and free delivery. Sounds a good deal, but how good is the TV? I know it is only 50hz and Nicam (no Dolby Digital) but as I will be linking it up to a DD receiver I will probably never use the TV sound anyway. I saw the write up in the October HCC, but I would appreciate any input on this from somebody who has actually bought one.

Many thanks

2. stupidmop

stupidmop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for it mate got mine a month ago very happy with it although you will almost certainly have to perform the hidden 64 point convergence that is hidden in the service menu to get the best out of it. also contrast/brightness is very importent not to set too high as in the factory presets as the picture can look garish. as for the sound it is only nicam but can go very loud has great bass and feels very spacious with the right soundtrack the sound will surround you better than any pseudo surround system.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    NO, DON'T BUY IT!!!

Go for the 100Hz version, it makes ALL the difference.
    BTW, there are NO 'digital artefacts' with the 100Hz Tosh RPs. It has one of (if not THEE) the finest 100Hz processing.
    You'd never want to look at a 50Hz model again.

I'm sure you can find the 40Wh08B at a similar price.

4. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On DVD's yes there is no artifacting. Unfortunately the same can't be said for cable/satalite. Its slightly noticable when watching football for example. But if the TV is primarily for DVD then the 100Hz will be well worth it. :D

5. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well. we stood the other day looking at the 50hz and a 100hz side by side in one of the shops and couldn't see any noticeable difference in the picture and both were playing DVDs. So, yesterday we took the plunge and bought the 50hz. I'm hoping we have done the right thing. It's being delievered tomorrow (Wednesday).

Thanks for your comments.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Caroline

The shop is not the ideal place for a demo, they are rarely set up correctly and lighting conditions are far from ideal.

Belive me there is a big difference between the two.

I could never go back to a 50Hz TV now that I am used to the quality of my 100Hz Toshiba RP TV.

When people come round and see my TV they always comment on how crystal clear the picture is and how easy on the eye it is.
    This is the 100Hz processing which the Tosh RPs are renowned to be one of the best.

I'm not saying you made a bad choice, the WP13 is a good set. However if you based your choice on 50Hz/100Hz processing then you made the wrong choice.