• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Toshiba 37XV555DB

cedric

It is the updated version of the XV505 which was quite highly rated
I,m not sure the differences are anything other than cosmetic
I am interseted in the new RV Series but apparently they won,t be available till November

DavePee

Standard Member
Thanks for the info Cedric :)

With that in mind, I went and read some of the Toshiba XV thread and most people seem to be happy with their purchase. I'm very tempted at that price but as it's my first LCD TV, I'm doing a lot of research.

Just looked at the RV series you mentioned. Very nice, but will probably launch way above my budget. (£600)

If anyone has this 555DB Toshiba, I'd love to hear if it's worth buying.

cedric

Play are taking preorders for the RV555 at 639.99 which seems a good price
This tv is meant to improve upon the motion blurring that seems to plague all LCD,s so I am interested to hear any opinions
Having said that my folks have the WLT68 Tosh which has a much better picture since they got a V+ box
I am suprrised nobody has picked up on this on the forums
I am looking at the PX80 and the XV555 and the RV555
Given I have been researching for about a year now:eek: another 6 weeks or so wont hurt:D

dramaqueen

Standard Member
Hi, was looking at this tv myself and thought you might want to know it is available through Digital Direct for £494 - Amazon was quoting £529

I have a toshiba 3032C i think, i rekon toshiba's agreat value for money

i'd be interested if anyone could find it cheaper or suggest a 37inch laternative at around same price

dramaqueen

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Any more help on the best place to buy one of these or if there's a good alternative around the £500 mark please?

cedric

Amazon seem to be the cheapest at 525.00 plus free delivery
Personally at around that price I don, think you can get better
There is also the px80 panny to consider at around 560 and there is a new tosh rv555 coming out anytime now but that will be more like 650

F

Fatwaz

got my parents the 505 which is basically the same and it is a very good set.recommended

kingston

Has anyone fiddled with the settings yet?

Im finding that my screen has a slight pinkish tinge to people on some programmes but not on others.

Also, did anyone else watch Sharp recently? Mine had juddering in one scene in the background yet the characters in the foreground where okay, while i havent had any issues with dvds through my ps2.

DKenni

I looked at this (before I decided to settle for 720p) and it looked ok. Mind you, going by Blu-Ray demos in store, the 1080P Sharp sets looked best of the lot.

jaskaeyes

Standard Member
Is now £489.99 if you click the link in original post

Yes it's now £489.

Do you know the difference between the:
Toshiba 37XV555DB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-37XV555DB-Widescreen-1080P-Freeview/dp/B00179SI3E/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

and

Toshiba Regza XV Series 37" 37XV503 / 553 HD 1080p Freeview Widescreen LCD TV

Play.com (UK) : Toshiba Regza XV Series 37" 37XV503 / 553 HD 1080p Freeview Widescreen LCD TV : Electronics - Free Delivery

apart from the word "REGZA".

When I saw this thread about the toshiba at amazon, it really confused me because I was so sure I was going to get that lcd from play.com until i saw another one amazon. slightly different model but huge difference in price.

thanks in advance

milo87

Standard Member
could someone tell me if this set is 100hz? i cant seem to find it in any of the spec lists.

would you guys say this is the best value set for the money or is there another that you would reccomend around the same price range?

many thanks

miles

F

Fatwaz

could someone tell me if this set is 100hz? i cant seem to find it in any of the spec lists.

would you guys say this is the best value set for the money or is there another that you would reccomend around the same price range?

many thanks

miles

it isnt 100hz

it is a nice set wouldnt put anyone off it depending on what price you can get it for.

jaskaeyes

Standard Member
Ok. The Toshiba 37XV555DB at amazon for £489 has got a contrast ratio of 25,000:1, while at play.com, the Toshiba Regza XV Series 37" 37XV503 (which I believe is the same) has got 18,000:1 for £549.
Apart from that, everything else is the same.

What I don't understand is why is the Toshiba at amazon that's got a much higher contrast ratio cheaper than toshiba at play? And at John Lewis, it costs £565. They even lowered the amount due to VAT.

Am I missing something here?

vickster

Distinguished Member
There's probably a mistake on one or more sites! Have you looked at the Toshiba site?

F

Fatwaz

maybe play just want more money lol.im sure the 555 is the newer version so may have some internal upgrading.

jaskaeyes

Standard Member
There's probably a mistake on one or more sites! Have you looked at the Toshiba site?

Actually I did Vickster. On the website it says 18,000:1. So amazon could be wrong on the contrast ratio.

It's not a big deal really, in fact it's good that amazon sells it a lot cheaper than play. I'm just worried that when I purchase that model, they'll send me a different one and it will be too much hassle to return it.

Thanks for your help.

jaskaeyes

Standard Member
maybe play just want more money lol.im sure the 555 is the newer version so may have some internal upgrading.

I really hope they have upgraded it. Either way, I'll wait until boxing day. There's a 60% chance prices will go further down.

Thanks man

Boogo

Standard Member
Just ordered Tosh 37RV555DB[the one with 100hz] from 'empiredirect.co.uk'. It was £649.99 before applying a 10% discount code EM5159[found on 'hotukdeals']. Takes it to £584.99 and includes a 5yr warranty as they have as a promotion on at the moment. The code did not work via web link so contacted store [Bolton branch]. Thankfully they honoured it, priced for collection.I think its betwen £19.99 and £29.99 if you require delivery, dependng on urgency.:thumbsup:

swift_gti

Standard Member
I bought this TV from Empire Direct a few weeks ago, its very nice!
Looks ace and the quality it great (although I haven't fiddled too much yet!)

Looking forward to finding the 'optimal settings' somewhere for this screen so it can look its best.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom